Compatable? F&P HC150 + Respironics Auto M w/ AFlex

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
OldLincoln

Compatable? F&P HC150 + Respironics Auto M w/ AFlex

Post by OldLincoln » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:26 pm

I finally convinced my doc to write a Respironics REMstar Auto M with A-Flex and a Fisher & Paykel HC150 humidifier. After some explanation, the DME appears to be working with me and raised a good point. Is the one compatable with the other? I see on the F&P site that they list a few units not compatable so now I wonder.

The DME said the APAP is very sensitive and the humidifier may cover it up and make the unit not perform as it should. If it is not compatible, I'm thinking about taking my chances with the Respironics matching humidifier. It is only the bad press that lead me to the F&P. Is the Respironics matching humidifier still broken?

Thanks for your answers that I've come to consider so valuable.

BTW, This study bumped me from a 10 to 12.

Earle

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:47 pm

I use the m-series apap with c-flex and have the F & P humidifier and it works fine together.

Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

Jeeper

Post by Jeeper » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:13 pm

OldLincoln,

I too have the Respironics M series apap with aflex and the F&P HC 150. I am very impressed with both of them. They do work well together for me.

Jeeper

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:14 pm

Your DME is lying to you or does not know what they are talking about. Don't settle for the intergrated humidifier.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

CompuTech007

Post by CompuTech007 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:22 pm

Yep, no problems at all! I dumped my M-Series humidifer about 2 weeks ago. This humidifer makes all the difference in the world. I was having problems being compliant with the magical 4 hours. Little did I realize that most of my problem was insufficent humidity causing my sinus's to dry out. Can't say enough about this F&P device. Only that I wish I had it when I started.

Ok, nuff rambling from me.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:24 pm

Maybe if I was a DME, trying to make more money for me, I'd tell you that. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks for your quick replies. Tomorrow I need to call Respironics and get their answer directly and the name that gives it. Then when I talk with the DME, let her tell me what she discovered as a test. Frankly I hope she passes as I like her and want an honest long-term (professional!!) relationship.

Just had to laugh, I told her about the forum so wouldn't be surprised if she's here now. If you are, Debbie, just know we both want the best for me and I need to know for sure at first. Been going to medical folks a very long time and have had some unfortunate experiences - so be patient with me.

It might be helpful to her if all you DME Techs would raise your hands and share your experiences with the Forum.

PS: Anybody know who I should call and the number?

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:11 pm

My bet is that Respironics will steer you in the direction of their own humidifier......the one that snaps onto and becomes a part of their "M" series machine.

I use the integrated "M" series humidifier.....and I get along with it just fine. BUT, there are a lot of people who disagree.......and their favorite alternative is the "150".

Either one will work just fine. Don't pay any attention to your DME and his opinion.

The only disadvantage to the "150" is the fact that I haven't seen a way it can be electrically controlled by the "M" series blower. It has to be switched on and off with its own controls. You might sometimes forget to switch it on.

When the "M" series blower cranks up, it automatically powers up the heater in the integrated humidifier.......provided, of course, you have the humidifier control set so that heat is required.

The disadvantage to the "M" series integrated humidifier is the design of the water reservoir. It has some troublesome seals that sometimes leak. Also, one can sometimes find molding defects in the plastic tank that causes it to leak. My honey and I run (3) "M" series machines (one is a spare) and I had to correct a molding defect in one of our tanks. That's a 33% leak failure rate..........and that's actually kinda crappy.

Hope this helps..........

Gerald

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Everyone will want to sell their product package, that doesn't mean it in your best interest to take it that way. If the "M" was designed as good as the "Classic" that would be fine, but it's not and never will be. So in this case the separate HH is the better setup, hands down. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:19 pm

1st Respironics will refer YOU back to your DME - so why bother?

2nd - what would you expect them to say? Really?
Or the DME?

I currently have both humidifiers in use on mine. The Respironics still goes almost dry each nite.

The only thing I will say with the added 2 feet of hose - it could affect your therapy. YOU need to be the judge of that. If you add a 10ft hose, as I did, you may also see a difference.

In summary, my 10 ft hose with 2ft added for the F&P HC150 is no problem for me with Comfort Classic Nasal but add the Activa with another foot of hose and MY ahi goes up to an unacceptable level. So there is the threshold for me with my auto Bipap at I18/E15 or there abouts.

I am now trying the shorter 6ft hose with the rest unchanged.
HTH,
GumbyCT

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:56 pm

Wow, that never occurred to me that my 8' hose could affect the setup. I wonder if when I get to tweak it if I can compensate for that.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:21 pm

I agree with the others that if you call Respironics to ask about that, you're going to hear something like, "We cannot recommend a non-Respironics humidifier." Or, as Gumby said, they might just say, "You'll need to ask your doctor or your home health care provider."

I suppose there can be some types of sleep disordered breathing that might not be sensed accurately by any autopap if a different humidifier is between the user and the machine. So, it may be a CYA thing rather than a commonplace problem that could happen.

I get good treatment and no difference that I can see in my data, whether I'm using the F&P humidifier or the integrated humidifier with my Auto/A-flex (range set for 10 - 20, A-flex on 3.)

I haven't used the integrated one but twice, though...just to see how it worked...then packed the integrated one away in favor of using the F&P humidifier.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:39 pm

OldLincoln wrote:Wow, that never occurred to me that my 8' hose could affect the setup. I wonder if when I get to tweak it if I can compensate for that.
The Remstar unit is designed for up to a 10 foot hose. Past 10 foot is Not supported. Jim

TR

Post by TR » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:49 pm

rested gal wrote:I agree with the others that if you call Respironics to ask about that, you're going to hear something like, "We cannot recommend a non-Respironics humidifier." Or, as Gumby said, they might just say, "You'll need to ask your doctor or your home health care provider."

I suppose there can be some types of sleep disordered breathing that might not be sensed accurately by any autopap if a different humidifier is between the user and the machine. So, it may be a CYA thing rather than a commonplace problem that could happen.

I get good treatment and no difference that I can see in my data, whether I'm using the F&P humidifier or the integrated humidifier with my Auto/A-flex (range set for 10 - 20, A-flex on 3.)

I haven't used the integrated one but twice, though...just to see how it worked...then packed the integrated one away in favor of using the F&P humidifier.
I agree......The F&P is a far superior product!

If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have luck at all!

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:03 am

I have been using Respironics APAP w/ HC150 for over a year and maintain an average AHI of 0.4 or less and O2 saturation of 96% or more ... If that is not compatible or effective treatment, then I guess lots and lots of folks are not being treated properly.

I think your DME is just giving you a bogus line to up her bottom line.

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.