Tube Cleaning Brush and CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WorrypasCanada

Tube Cleaning Brush and CPAP?

Post by WorrypasCanada » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:44 am

Hello,

Thinking about buying tube cleaning brush: To clean and dry tube. What is your experience with the above?

Thanks in advance for your input.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:15 am

I know some will be horrified on here by my cleaning habits but here goes anyway.

I have NEVER cleaned my hose. I use distilled water only in the humidifier. The hose dries between uses and I am on my original hose since last August. Cheap and easy!! I do clean my mask once a week in warm water and baby shampoo. Let it dry before hooking it back to the hose. Again cheap and easy to do. So far haven't had any problems. Oh by the way, I use my humidifier as a pass over only and do not have trouble with rain-out at all. That may make a difference on the cleaning routine.

Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:28 am

I just swish mine with soapy water using Kirks Castile soap. Then I rinse it with a little water and vinegar and hang it to dry. I do it about every 2 weeks. Using distilled water really leaves no residue to clean.

Brooke

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:07 am

Have been using the same CPAP hose for 3 years......have never cleaned it. I've always used distilled water and pass-over (cool) humidification so there would be nothing in there to clean. Where I live has a very low relative humidity and water evaporates almost immediately.
To my way of thinking, the very act of cleaning a CPAP hose would expose it to less-pure water and other "things". I've read that some people hang them in their bathrooms to dry......which I've heard is not necessarily the most sanitary environment.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

jimbassett

Post by jimbassett » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:22 am

I have used my hose (tube) for over a year and looking at it I see nothing in it to clean. I use distilled water, keep my filters clean and so think I would be doing more harm than good by going to this extra work. My masks I take a little more care in keeping the face oils wiped down. All in all I spend very little time doing those chores and all is well in my house. Cheers jim

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:24 am

Add me to the never clean crowd.

kennethryan

Post by kennethryan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:01 pm

I went about a year without cleaning my hose, and only occasionally cleaning my humidifier tank. I only use distilled water (even on travel, I stop somewhere and pick up a bottle for the hotel).

Until one day I happened to peer closely at my humidifier tank and saw a black spindly blotch tucked in the corner of the tank.

Ewwww... >-P

I've been a nut about cleaning and disinfecting ever since.

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:41 pm

[quote="kennethryan"]I went about a year without cleaning my hose, and only occasionally cleaning my humidifier tank. I only use distilled water (even on travel, I stop somewhere and pick up a bottle for the hotel).

Until one day I happened to peer closely at my humidifier tank and saw a black spindly blotch tucked in the corner of the tank.

Ewwww... >-P

I've been a nut about cleaning and disinfecting ever since.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:02 pm

About the vinegar solution to clean CPAP, I hate the smell. I can eat salt and vinegar chips, but vinegar to my nose is something else. It brings memory when my mother would wash her windows with vinegar and water.

SleepyNoMore

I just bought on but haven't used it yet

Post by SleepyNoMore » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:22 pm

I just purchased the "HOSE CLEANER" however, I haven't used it yet..
I have the Aussie Heated Hose and i'm afraid I might ruin the wires inside or poke a hole in it but I will post when I do and actually, it's not a cleaner really, it helps to dry the inside but i'm sure it would help pull out some of the yucky stuff

Whoever owns and cleans their aussie/heated hose, please post how it is done, I tried putting soapy water in it one time but it just got the outside all wet

SNM

Thank You "SNOREDOG" will live in our Hearts forever...

May you always have
Love to Share,
Health to Spare,
and Friends that Care. :)

roster

Post by roster » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:28 pm

I have not cleaned the hose in over one year and am on the side of those who think you are more likely to contaminate the hose by cleaning than by leaving it alone.