Help! Going camping 1st time with BiPap...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MsPiccolo

Help! Going camping 1st time with BiPap...

Post by MsPiccolo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Will be tent camping for the first time since I've started using my BiPAP machine. What do I need to get power to it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

dsm

Re: Help! Going camping 1st time with BiPap...

Post by dsm » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

MsPiccolo wrote:Will be tent camping for the first time since I've started using my BiPAP machine. What do I need to get power to it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Very basically a 12v battery but to be really safe you need a Respironics regulator that makes sure only 12volts is delivered i.e. if the battery drops below 12v the machine will start to malfunction (not deliver the prescribed pressures). The regulator makes sure that if the voltage drops below 12v it turns the machine off.

As for the battery several members have trialled different gel cells & am sure someone will step forward with best choice.

You can just run it off the battery but you need to be very sure the battery will keeps it voltage up while you are relying on the machine.

Good luck

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

WNJ

Post by WNJ » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:28 pm

I use the Respironics 12-volt cord (~$25) with my REMstar Auto. No problems at all. It’s nothing more than a straight cord, so far as I know. No special regulator is required. I’ve never found the REMstar Auto to be too picky about battery voltage. Most 12-volt appliances will operate from 10.5 volts to at least 15.5 volts.

I picked up a cigarette-lighter socket to battery clips adapter at Radio Shack, about $9, instead of the Respironics adapter. I also use a 10’ 12-volt extension cord sometimes.

If you want to invest in a battery, a deep-cycle battery is best in the long run unless you’re looking for something really small and light.

Wayne

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:02 pm

if you are only going for a night or two, I'd try wingin it without. Last thing you want to do is get campfire smoke smell in your main Bipap machine, it will be there a month after you get back.

Then a Bipap needs to run off of 24VDC not 12VDC, meaning you will need 2 automotive style batteries in series to get the needed 24 Volts. You cannot run it off your vehicles cigarette lighter.

You could use a power inverter and a battery and run it off the brick power supply, that would be the most economical way. Like I said, might be easier if only for a night or two to wing it and leave the Bipap at home. Take some BreatheRight strips, sleep on your side or stomach. You might be a little tired by the end of the trip but you'll have your machine waiting for you when you get there.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:22 pm

SD raises a good point re the Bipap Tank vs the Bipap M plus & on this if anyone has clarification lets hear it.
The 'tank' models need 24V DC as SD has mentioned & is best run using an inverter - I understand that the Bipap Ms use 12 VDC (this needs clarification).

Thus for the 'Tank' model the inverter is the safest way (12VDC - car battery to 110VAC - tank Bipap). Also, if you did find a way (the power connector is non std) to get 24VDC to a 'tank' model, the humidifier won't connect nor operate. Running the humidifier requires the inverter.

DSM

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:31 pm

M Series BiPAP's are 12V.

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Guest wrote:M Series BiPAP's are 12V.
Tks AK, thought so - plus I shd have added that to get any Respironics H/H running requires the inverter. I am not aware of either the 'tank' model or the M H/H running off 12 VDC (again need that 2nd aspect confirmed).

Cheers

DSM

WNJ

Post by WNJ » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:50 pm

My "tank" model H/H doesn't heat on 12-VDC.

But then, when camping I've found that using it as a passover humidifier is fine. The air in a tent or in a camper is much more humid than the air in the bedroom at home.

Wayne

akcpapguy

Post by akcpapguy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:52 am

The newest version of the M Series HH actually does run on 12V. There are no additional inverters/converters or other such "verters" to purchase, simply purchase the 12V cord and plug it in. Damn that almost sounded like a canned Respironics commercial didn't it? LOL Anyway, I do have pictures of the setup plugged into my truck and running. Now, running the HH on 12V will seriously drain any battery you are using and will require you to recharge it much more frequently. But if you are able to charge the battery during the day you shouldn't have any problems.

For those that are thinking of asking, no I don't know how much juice it uses, but I will get the numbers tomorrow and post them. I won't be able to make heads or tails out of them, but I'm sure someone here will be able to make and educated guess to the power consumption.

AKCPAPGUY
Canada...I can't say anything nice, so I won't say anything at all.

So many cats, so few recipes.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:11 am

She has the Plus machine, that one is only 12VDC with direct cable. The Autos are 24VDC, I'd still go the inverter route, you can use it at home during power outages, get a larger inverter and you can run other items from it. An inverter is only $50 bucks, probably cheaper than the Respironics direct connect cord.

Below is Respironics Accessories, they show the 300 watt ProWatt inverter for use with the Bipap. You can get a larger 400 watt inverter from Walmart for a lot less money, Coleman makes one (made by Xantrex also). They are modified sine wave. How long you can run it depends on your pressure and size of the car battery.

http://sleepapnea.respironics.com/acces ... power.aspx

Amazon also has a bigger selection, I like the Xantrex, they have been making them the longest, I have their 3000 watt unit.

I suggest the 700-watt Xantrex for $50 bucks you can't beat that:

http://tinyurl.com/4m9eso

You can also use it at home for those nights with power failures. Get a $69 Marine battery from Costco, a plastic battery box at Kragen for under 10 bucks and a small charger and you are set with no worry about draining your vehicles battery. If you want that battery kept fully charged at all times without any worry of overcharging, the a Battery Tender to charge it, you will be able to run your machine for several nights without recharging.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:29 am

My M series Bi-pap works fine on my 12v jump starter all nite. My pressure is 18/15. Prob coulda got 2 nites even but didn't try. I would have been happy to get even a few hours.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

MsPiccolo

Post by MsPiccolo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:59 am

Great! Thank you all for your recommendations. I know I'll be doing some shopping this weekend!

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:27 am

If I still had my cottage now (no electricity) I would be purchasing this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4bbpku

...along with a deep-cycle battery.

These Honda generators are amazingly quiet. I have been downtown where buskers playing electric guitar have one tucked away behind them running to power the equipment.