Lasik

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
season.season0

Lasik

Post by season.season0 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:53 pm

Just wondering if anybody here has had Lasik and what were the results?

Paul56

Re: Lasik

Post by Paul56 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Not had Lasik myself... but I would not consider it. The results are permanent... whether you like them or not. Glasses can be a pain but at least they can be changed to adjust vision.

A lady friend in California had Lasik several years ago and while she is happy with the results... she did end up with dry eye and night vision issues.

CorgiGirl

Post by CorgiGirl » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:46 pm

I had lasik two and a half years ago and I'm very happy with the results. I don't have excessive dry eye (or at least any more than I have with Rosacea). And the night vision issues cleared up within a few months -- they are usually part of the healing process, in my experience and the experience of others I know.

I'm so glad I did it! I'd say go for it, if you are a good candidate. My husband couldn't do it because his corneas are too thin.

Machine: Respironics M series Auto with A-Flex
Humidifier: Respironics M series Heated Humidifier
Software: Encore Viewer

Craig-Tx

Post by Craig-Tx » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:17 pm

I had Lasik when I was 19. (12 years ago) This was before it was FDA approved, and the technology has significantly advanced.

The main problem I had was ... I was 19! My eyes weren't fully stabilized yet. I went 5 years without any corrective lenses. I'm now back on contacts. But I'm still VERY glad I had it done. I may be back to contacts / glasses, but my uncorrected vision is still MUCH better than it was pre-Lasik. At least now, I can still read the alarm clock at night without squinting. I can get up in the morning and function somewhat without glasses. I can't read text on the TV, but I can watch some shows if I want to.

I personally never had any night vision problems, or any dry eye problems. But that is me.

Also, I would at least go to a reputable business, not a "Lasik for $499!" Promo company. It is your eyes your dealing with.

Additional Comments: Started PAP on 1/16/07. - Typical 90% pressure ~ 10 cm H20

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:32 pm

There are always downsides. Lasik is very much an improvement over it's predecessor - Radial Keratotomy. I had RK in the mid 1990's, and my eyes are butchered. Blindness is a very real possibility for me. As it is, I have had to have extremely expensive and painful custom contacts made to correct me to 20-20 vision - and they are so painful I refuse to wear them.

The worst Lasik story I heard was a guy who had to have his corneas replaced. And he's fine now.

Do your research, interview several doctors, and ask to meet with patients before making your decision.

BTW, my BF had lasik and he's JUST FINE. No symptoms at all.

I agree with others - I wish I'd never had the procedure, and just continued to wear glasses. But you have to make that decision for yourself.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

MsPiccolo

Post by MsPiccolo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:10 pm

I had lasik 8 hrs ago and it's been great! I have to say it's the best things I've spent my money on. Do you research on surgeons before going under the laser and you'll have no problems.

ichitumi

Post by ichitumi » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:00 pm

There are different things to can do to correct your visions. Lasik is just one of them. Also look up a similar procedure with wavefront technology (they basically take a custom map of your eyes and laser correct them from the surface in bits). There is no cutting a flap on your eye, so healing is a bit faster, but apparently, you are also more prone to infections. If your vision is not that bad, you can also opt for in-tacts. They cut a small incision on your eye and stick a little piece of half moon plastic underneath. That props up and changes your focal point. This is reversible in case it doesn't work out.

I've had friends who had lasik done and couldn't recommend it enough. I am personally still too scared to do anything surgical with my eyes. I am normally blind as a bat without my glasses/contacts. I can only see somewhat clearly if things are places 6 inches or so in front of me

Good luck, whatever you decide on doing.

Billy6

Post by Billy6 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:50 am

Lasik is a miracle. I had coke bottle thick glasses and now I can see the man on the moon walking around. It is nothing short of truly amazing

reefdreamer

Post by reefdreamer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:30 am

I just had lasik surgery this year in march. It was awsome...20/40 vision and I had asymgmatism in both eyes. Best decision I ever made!
Jen

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:14 pm

I had lasik just this past March and it's been great! I have to say it's the best thing I've EVER spent my money on!!! I had been wearing glasses since first grade--no I can see everything now!! It is so amazing --I wish I would have done it sooner!!!! Please do your research on surgeons before going under the laser and you'll have no problems at all. I could have gone to a cheap eye mill but chose a top grade surgeon and all went VERY well!! GO DO IT!! you won't regret it----

Carrie.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

Pirateghost

Post by Pirateghost » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:02 pm

Well, if it's opinions you want, and I'm sure you want more than the CPAP users can provide, I would google something like "lasik gone bad" or "lasik sucks" or something like that. You will find plenty of horror stories about it.

azaloune

Post by azaloune » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:35 pm

I had Lasik 9 years ago. I have been very happy with the results. I was legally blind without glasses and unable to wear contacts.
I was unable to purchase an inexpensive pair of glasses, I had to pay extra for the thin lense technology because my prescription was so strong.

The last glasses I purchased about a year before my procedure cost over $350. That was in 1998 for single vision lenses.

About a year ago, I was having headaches and discovered, because I work on a computer over 9 hours a day, I have to wear a very mild pair of glasses for my astigmatism. I still have 20/20 vision, but, just to keep the headaches away, I wear the glasses. ($75)

I have no dry eye or night vision issues.

All in all, lasik was the best $3000 I ever spent.
Caution! I brake for Elves, Fairies, Gnomes, Leprechauns, Unicorns, Dragons & and other invisible creatures only I can see!

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:22 pm

I had corneal ablation done in 95. It's similar to lasik, except that the excimer laser is amped up to nuke the cornea. (Whoa, did it hurt like blue blazes for a day!)

My eyesight was just fine, except one problem.

When I started xPAP 3 yrs ago, my vision improved a bit. (Makes sense, as the inflammation abated, the focal length normalized.)

However, since my vision had been surgically corrected, the xPAP improvement actually OVER corrected my vision a bit (which is less comfortable than under-correction).

Do I recommend eye surgery? Sure, if you want better vision w o glasses or contacts. It's expensive, and not for those who are dis-inclined to follow cleanliness directives.

One thought. Consider doing the eyes about 6 months or more apart. This way, you can't have any "issues" that might goof-up both eyes.