POLL: What is your TYPICAL nightly AHI?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What is your TYPICAL nightly AHI?

0.0 - 0.5
10%
0.5 - 1.0
16%
1.0 - 2.0
25%
2.0 - 3.0
14%
3.0 - 5.0
17%
5.0 - 10.0
13%
10.0 - 20.0
4%
more than 20.0
1%

Total votes: 489

Jason S.

Re: POLL: What is your TYPICAL nightly AHI?

Post by Jason S. » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:25 am

jnk wrote: The point, Jason, is that statistically speaking, because of the way ResMed counts HI, most ResMed users have high HI indexes relative to their AI indexes.
So you're saying that most ResMed users have an absolute HI that is higher than their absolute AI? If that is true, then I agree with you. But if you are saying that ResMed users have a higher HI/AI ratio then non ResMed users, but still for most ResMed users the HI is significantly lower than their AI, then you are wrong. My impression was that most ResMed users still had AI that were significantly higher than their HI. And in the rarer case like yourself, you have an HI that is higher than your AI. But that is not the norm for ResMed (or non ResMed users).

Additional Comments: Max pressure set at 15cm

jnk

Post by jnk » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:19 am

Jason S. wrote: . . . So you're saying that most ResMed users have an absolute HI that is higher than their absolute AI?
Yes. That is what I believe about the estimates made by that brand according to its definitions, for most users, based on what I've read.
Jason S. wrote: . . . My impression was that most ResMed users still had AI that were significantly higher than their HI. . . .
That is not an impression I share.
Jason S. wrote: . . . And in the rarer case like yourself, you have an HI that is higher than your AI. But that is not the norm for ResMed (or non ResMed users). . . .
I do not believe I am, or that carbonman is, the rare case. I believe we are the rule, the norm, not the exception, among ResMed users. (Well, in that one area, anyway. )

But, hey, I could be wrong. I often am.

jeff

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:51 am

Jeff - I don't use a Resmed but I'm think you are right! In this case-----

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

leonardlake

Post by leonardlake » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:08 pm

Using Encore Pro Analyzer I have determined that, on a Respironics M-series Auto, my HI is higher than my AI for pressures below 10.2 cm. My optimum AHI is at a pressure of 9 cm. For less apneas I set my pressure range lower than optimum; for less hypopneas I set my pressure range higher.

danw61

Post by danw61 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:15 pm

I use an M-series auto and my HI is almost always higher than my AI. My impression is, that is the norm.

spookydoo

Post by spookydoo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:06 pm

leonardlake wrote:Using Encore Pro Analyzer I have determined that, on a Respironics M-series Auto, my HI is higher than my AI for pressures below 10.2 cm. My optimum AHI is at a pressure of 9 cm. For less apneas I set my pressure range lower than optimum; for less hypopneas I set my pressure range higher.

Help me understand how that works. That doesn't make sense to me but it might be why my numbers have gotten better as I've set the pressure lower. Explain please.

JayC

Post by JayC » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:47 am

Hypopneas (with desats) are the vast majority of why I am on treatment in the first place... so makes sense to me that my HI numbers will likely always be the higher number.

Maybe ResMed works well for me because of how it (over)counts what happens to be my main issue in the first place..........

J

Jockorules

Post by Jockorules » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:31 pm

One more Resmed user with AHI average above three and AI average unde 0.5.

Pressure 19 over 15...

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:01 am

Been averaging around 0.4 for more than a year now, using my M Series Auto w/A-FLEX.
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

leonardlake

Post by leonardlake » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:26 am

Here is the graph from Encore Pro Analyzer that enables me to set my optimum pressure:

track

Post by track » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:28 pm

Based on my experience the HI in a resmed ran 3-4 times what the AI ran... with my responics HI typically runs the other way....1/4 of the AI. MY overall AHI was typically 5 with the resmed while it runs around 2 with the responics. The comparative HI numbers were 8-10 times higher on the resmed...but the AI numbers were about the same or higher on the responics. example resmed...HI- 4 and AI-1.2. With the responics HI -.4 and AI -1.5

Autopapdude

Post by Autopapdude » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:13 pm

Sightly over 1. Usually between 1 and 2. NOT a Resmed user.

coffeedrinker

Post by coffeedrinker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:42 am

Resmed S8 Elite II user here, with 55 days of experience. My total AI average is 1.2, HI is 5.9, and my AHI average is 7.1. My average leakage over the 55 days at the 95th percentile is 31.2. My pressure is currently set at 14.6.

I've been thinking that my high leak average has contributed to my high HI average. Based on what I've read on this thread, I should consider my true HI average is actually 1/2 to 1/4 of the what the software reports?

Velbor

Post by Velbor » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:46 pm

coffeedrinker wrote: .... Based on what I've read on this thread, I should consider my true HI average is actually 1/2 to 1/4 of the what the software reports?
No, not quite.

Your TRUE HI median (ResMed reports median values, not average values), in terms of this machine's definitions, is exactly what it tells you it is.

Only if you choose to "compare" your values to what they MIGHT BE on another brand of machine, would you even begin to think of making such "mental" adjustments. Or if you choose to "compare" your values to some arbitrary set of "desirable standards" which are relevant only to formal polysomnogram data, and NOT to what xPAP machines provide, might you think of making such "mental" adjustments. Such adjustments (as Rested Gal rightly, carefully and continually emphasizes) are adjustments in our THINKING, not adjustments of data.

Good luck. Velbor

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Jason S. wrote:My impression was that most ResMed users still had AI that were significantly higher than their HI.
That wouldn't be my impression. I'd think it would probably be the other way around for most ResMed users -- an HI (hypopnea index) significantly higher than their AI (apnea index.)
Velbor wrote: Such adjustments (as Rested Gal rightly, carefully and continually emphasizes) are adjustments in our THINKING, not adjustments of data.
Thanks, Velbor. What a good way to put it -- "adjustments in our THINKING, not adjustments of data." I like that!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435