How often do you download data?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How Often Do You Download Data

Daily data download and report
51%
More than once per week
16%
Once per week
16%
About every two weeks
8%
Monthly or less
3%
When I get around to it
5%
My #*!!% machine doesn't track data
No votes

Total votes: 61

Sleeprider

How often do you download data?

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:52 pm

Pretty easy question and perhaps a good poll. I recall when I started therapy.

I have been using APAP for about 10 months. In the beginning, I would download daily and follow the results closely. That changed to once a week, and now about once every two weeks which means I don't save all the detailed data.

I think the healthy way to look at data collection and analysis is to observe trends and changes, not fine details. New users can benefit from seeing a cause and effect for increased apneas or leaks, but once you've been doing this a while, it seems to be sort of routine. So, I'm curious about your experience, and relate that to how long you have been using XPAP.

Paul56

Re: How often do you download data?

Post by Paul56 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:29 pm

None of the choices fit my situation...

I keep track of the data displayed on the LCD every morning.

When those numbers get out of whack, like they are right now, I will download the data and have a more detailed look with ResScan to see what is going on.

There is no fixed schedule as to when things get out of whack.

TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:44 pm

I think I've settled to looking on the weekend, but I will look at it during the week before a DME visit or if 'something' happened the night before.

The Dreamer.

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

73 de W0LKC

plr66

Post by plr66 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:50 pm

I can't help myself. I'm obsessed. Even after 7 months of therapy.
I rarely have a night with AHI above my usual range of 0.6 - 1.6, and a leak line consistently at zero -- and it seems like it's been that way since my second month. But it remains motivating to me to read the numbers with my coffee every morning. That's just me. Probably will cut back on that. But come to think of it, I still read this forum every day and amazingly enough, never fail to continue to find more questions to ask and great answers to find here!
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Bluebonnet_Gal

Post by Bluebonnet_Gal » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm still in the "daily download" category. I started xPAP in Decmeber and I'm still trying to improve my results. When/if I can get to the point where my good days outnumber the not so good days, I will probably download less often. I'm a bit obsessed right now with trying to improve my numbers, thus hopefully improving the way I feel each day and reducing daytime sleepiness.

Gail

DyannaK

Post by DyannaK » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:37 pm

I get the info off my LCD screen every morning and I download the detailed info every 3 days so I dont lose any of it. I still don't understand everything on the reports. But I keep trying.
I dont suffer from insanity.... I enjoy every minute of it!

Resmed S8 Elite II CPAP, Hybrid Full Face Mask W/Nasal Pillows, H4i Humidifier,
Rescan 3.7 Software & Smart Card Reader, Pressure 12, started CPAP 1/8/2009

danw61

Post by danw61 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:35 pm

I download twice a week any time I change anything (Mask, Machine settings, etc.) or if I'm having a problem. When everything is going fine & no changes then I download around every 2 weeks or so.

Statsfreak

Post by Statsfreak » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Sleeprider wrote:Pretty easy question and perhaps a good poll. I recall when I started therapy.

I have been using APAP for about 10 months. In the beginning, I would download daily and follow the results closely. That changed to once a week, and now about once every two weeks which means I don't save all the detailed data.

I think the healthy way to look at data collection and analysis is to observe trends and changes, not fine details. New users can benefit from seeing a cause and effect for increased apneas or leaks, but once you've been doing this a while, it seems to be sort of routine. So, I'm curious about your experience, and relate that to how long you have been using XPAP.
Although I am data obsessed, I suspect I will eventually move closer to your position. Now I am still new to data (almost a week now with teh new machine) and hoping to improve my treatment with the new information. I agree though that once you are set up (sleeping reasonably through the night, no leaks, etc) you should probably just monitor for changes and aberrations and not follow the daily details.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:28 pm

The data on my machine doesn't match the reports. It's close, but not exactly, plus I don't get the snore (and it's a little more than just a rounding issue). I usually reset the machine each night, though, so I can have at least some information when I come upon one of those "Respironic's M Series nights" where the detail data isn't on the card!! Invariably, those are the times when I suspect something odd has happened, and really want to find out about it.

Pam

SharkBait
Location: Texas -- the ugly part... El Paso? No, not quite THAT ugly...

Post by SharkBait » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:58 am

plr66 wrote:I can't help myself. I'm obsessed. Even after 7 months of therapy.
I rarely have a night with AHI above my usual range of 0.6 - 1.6, and a leak line consistently at zero -- and it seems like it's been that way since my second month. But it remains motivating to me to read the numbers with my coffee every morning. That's just me. Probably will cut back on that. But come to think of it, I still read this forum every day and amazingly enough, never fail to continue to find more questions to ask and great answers to find here!
This is where I will be in 7 months...

It's just my morning routine. Get up, make coffee, download data.

Encore Pro 1.8.49; Encore Pro Analyzer 0.8.9 by James Skinner
SnuggleHose - Got the 8 foot and cut it down to 6, used the rest for mask hoses.
Memory Foam Pillow - Cut my own out of my Tempur-pedic pillow. (works great!)
Hose Mgmt - Velcro Tie Strap

KengEsq

Post by KengEsq » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:31 am

Hi All,

I keep a handwritten log of my numbers daily from the LDC and transfer my handwritten numbers to a computer file about once every 10 days. I download my data once each month which means I only get details for the previous 5 days.

My handwritten log is as follows each day:

3/14/09
Leak = 0.10 L/s
AHI = 3.9
AI = 0.2
HI = 3.7
Use = 7.34 hrs
95th percentile pressure = 12.2 cm H2O
This works for me.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Its interesting to me that nearly 50% of the members are downloading data daily. The EncorePro card I have retains about a week of detailed data and longer periods of compliance data. My numbers are far from perfect but the trend is very slow improvement in leaks, AHI and especially snores. Still, daily downloads would be a bit much for me.

Bassasasin

Post by Bassasasin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:47 pm

Gosh >> my provider repeatedly Waved off talking about the little SD chip thing and data logging..

Wonder what my ResMed AutoSet II will do.. and how do I mess with it.

EDIT Well SD chip ... none.. they took the auto machine away after 3 weeks.

Bass
Last edited by Bassasasin on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This thing ain't sexy.

danw61

Post by danw61 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Hey Bass, I like your avatar. Looks like something from a sci-fi movie.

travismcgee

Post by travismcgee » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:01 pm

I not only download my nightly numbers every morning, I print out the results and write comments on the hard copy about what my night was like. I also transfer my hypopnea and apnea and total AHI readings into a spreadsheet and calculate an average of these numbers at the end of each month. Every 7 days I save a copy of this data to a designated Primo PDF file on my hard drive so I have data of every day of every month for the last year and a month or so I've been using CPAP. Am I obsessed with numbers I would have to say yes. However, I don't let the numbers dictate how I feel. I do look for trends and adjust things that I believe need adjusting. I have always enjoyed playing with numbers and I have to admit some of my favorite courses as an undergraduate and grad student were statistics.
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

Douglas Adams