Not doing GOOD

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Unclebuck470

Not doing GOOD

Post by Unclebuck470 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:05 am

First, I would like to thank all that have giving me all the info, Its been over a week on the machine and I have gotten LESS sleep then without the machine, I will be makin a call to the people that supplied the machine to see what they can do but I'm at the point of telling them to take it back.

Dick

OCNorsk

Re: Not doing GOOD

Post by OCNorsk » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:13 am

Wow, that's not good, as you say. But I wouldn't give up after a week. I'm still plugging away and it's been 18 months, and I still don't like it. Once in awhile I have that one great night that works, so I know it's possible. But after one week, there are still a lot more options to try. Good luck.

slapmeawake

Post by slapmeawake » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:19 am

What exactly are you having problems with? If you give specifics the people on here can guide you through just about anything. I know as a new user its very daunting but hang in there, it'll get better.

Unclebuck470

Post by Unclebuck470 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:31 am

Well, there are lots of things, I was a stomach sleeper, now I'm tryin to sleep on my back and its NOT workin. The mask comes apart a couple of times, Last night leaked like hell on the sides and no matter what I did, couldn't stop it.

bailachel

Post by bailachel » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 am

I am also mostly a stomach sleeper with my head turned toward the side. I don't know if this will work for you, but it has worked for me. I sleep on the side edge of the pillow so that it supports most of my head but my face and the mask are off the edge. similar to if you were sleeping with your arm under your head.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:03 am

As if this adjustment alone isn't enough, trying to sleep in a new position adds another layer of aggravation. I have read on here where people have learned to sleep in new positions, but I personally think that when possible it is preferable to adjust the treatment to the person's needs. I'm just guessing that if you slept on your stomach, the time in between waking with leaks would feel better and more restful to you and make the wakeups more tolerable.

Would it be correct to assume you have a full fask mask because you are a mouth breather? If you want to continue stomach sleeping, the pillow you choose may be nearly important as the mask itself. Finding a way to make that work might even enable you to use a lower pressure, which in turn could help with the leaks. Have you read the threads on sleeping in the "falcon position"?

This week of bad sleep has probably felt like a month, and really is not a good gauge of how your future with this will be. If this thread doesn't get many responses from other stomach sleeping full face mask users, you might try changing the title or starting another one. Just resolving this one issue could totally change your experience with this treatment. Best wishes.
Kathy

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Plus back sleeping is the worst position for provoking more apneas.

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi Unclebuck,

I understand that you've probably been trying to sleep on your back because your mask rubs against the pillow and then leaks, but as someone else pointed out, the supine position is usually the worst for apneas. You've received some good suggestions that you may not have tried yet. You could investigate different kinds of pillows for stomach sleepers. I don't know if there are any here that may work better, but you could check the reviews: https://www.cpap.com/simple-find-cpap-p ... llows.html. As someone mentioned, it can help to have the mask hang over the edge of the pillow.

It's also possible that the full-face mask you have now isn't the best for you, either because it is not the right size or maybe not the best type for you. Have you tried any other masks? I've never used the mask you're using, but it's possible that you're actually pulling the straps too tight. It seems counterintuitive, but sometimes a bit looser is actually better.

I can understand your frustration. I hope you'll stick with it until you find the solutions to your present difficulties, so you can enjoy the benefits of optimal therapy. It CAN make a big difference in your health and the way you feel!

~ DreamOn

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:53 pm

Unclebuck, try to tackle one problem at a time. Work on the mask leak first which is one of the biggest problems most of us have. Once you get that under control go onto the next problem. Make a list of what's going on and let us know and work on it together.

The Unclebuck I remember never quit, he just kept trying harder.

Gerry

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Unclebuck

I have managed to sleep on my stomach using a quattro F/F mask. It sure isn't easy but the way that it did work was by using 2-3 pillows strategically placed such that only the sides of my face were being supported.

Like most others here, am hoping you can see the value of persevering. Sharing the difficulties is what makes this site tick.

Hang in there

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

ww

Post by ww » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:06 pm

I usually sleep on my side, but can sleep on my stomach with a ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask or with a ResMed Quattro Full Face Mask using an inexpensive Costco Conforming Foam shaped pillow and let mask hang off of one end or close to it. This whole thing takes a lot of time and experimenting, but the final result is obviously worth it. I posted a lot of the daily data for leakage when I started which lead me to better masks and solved a lot of other problems with the original three types of Respironics masks. Good luck.

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:25 pm

DreamOn wrote:
It's also possible that the full-face mask you have now isn't the best for you, either because it is not the right size or maybe not the best type for you. Have you tried any other masks? I've never used the mask you're using, but it's possible that you're actually pulling the straps too tight. It seems counterintuitive, but sometimes a bit looser is actually better.
I have found this to be true of my mask. If it is too tight it can leak, but if I loosen it a bit, I am fine.

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:07 pm

Jaylee wrote:
DreamOn wrote:
I have found this to be true of my mask. If it is too tight it can leak, but if I loosen it a bit, I am fine.
I learned that on this forum! Tried it with my mask, and it worked for me. Glad it helped you too, Jaylee.