My mask is leaking!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kdoron

My mask is leaking!

Post by kdoron » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:26 pm

I have a ResMed S8 Autoset Vantage with a Mirage Quatro Full Face Mask. I am using since August 2009. I have also a humidifier connected to it.
My problem is that until now, almost every night, I have air leaks, and in order to prevent it I am tightening the upper and lower straps, which is causing me a lot of pain, especially at the chin connection between the lower jaw and the upper, near the ear, and at the upper part of my nose. When I try to release the lower straps the air leaks begin, and it drives me crazy.
I don't know what to do and how to continue. I can breath but can not sleep well.
Well, it would be nice if anyone could give me some good advice.

steelheadid

Re: My mask is leaking!

Post by steelheadid » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:02 pm

When I first started using the Quatro I had the same issues you are having. After trying other masks, full face and nasal, I keep coming back to it. I have found, after allot of experimentation, that I can make it work very comfortably for me. This is what I have to do every night. In the mask instructions it says you can adjust it one time and should not have to again, kind of a Ron Popeil " set it and forget it" thing. Well for me that is not the case. When I first put it on a night I tighten it quite abit so it is not leaking when I turn my machine on. After the machine is on and I lay down I have then found that I can adjust the forehead adjusment just until it begins to leak and then tighten it one notch back. I then can loosen the straps, one at a time, a little at a time until I feel that the mask is going to start leaking and I stop then do the same with the other side. As far as the forehead straps I just tighten them until they are snug before I start. Hope this might help but you may need to ivestigate other masks all together.

ww

Post by ww » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:10 pm

It is a difficult problem until you solve it, then it works every night properly. For me, it turned out I have to shave every night before bedtime, then scrub face with a warm washrag where the mask touches my face. Then wash the mask sealing surface with a warm washcloth just before bedtime. PadACheek makes some nice strap covers that allow you to tighten the lower mask straps a little more and not hurt your face. The top straps can be quite loose just tight enough to allow the forehead piece to contact your head, then adjust the knob until it does NOT touch the bridge of your nose. I can sleep on back or either side without leaks now. Good Luck.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:41 pm

I also have had some ups and downs with this mask. After 3 weeks, I am at a point where I think I've sorted a lot of the problems out.

1. It's better if you have no beard/stubble, although I seem to be OK as long as I shave on a daily basis.
2. Wash your face just before going to bed with a decent face wash (preferably one that is not greasy).
3. I always put on the mask and adjust it while looking in the mirror. I find that this ensures that everything is on straight.
4. Follow the instructions. I thought I was clever and I used to adjust the mask as I saw fit. However, after following the instructions to the letter, I find I get a much better fit first time.
5. Resist the temptation to keep tightening the mask if there's a leak. I've found that a tighter mask hurts my nose and also can make leaks worse. try repositioning the mask on your face first before you resort to tightening (unless the straps are already fairly loose).
6. If you're a side sleeper, consider getting a pillow that allows you to sleep on your side without interfering with the mask. I use a boomerang pillow, which lets me "hang" off the edge of the pillow. I'm going to try experimenting with some other shapes (there's a place near me that will cut latex foam to any shape you want... I may do a little inventing!).

I hope this helps.

srwesely

Post by srwesely » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:15 am

Make sure you adjust it while the machine is running at your required pressure setting. That seems to have made a difference for me, as I was the Ramp Queen when I first started. It was great at low pressure but as soon as the pressure got higher I was fighting leaks like crazy. Now I hardly do the ramp thing at all. Also, lay which position you are going to sleep and then adjust at full pressure. It tends to move everytime you do. I still get some leaks, but not as bad and not as many. Got a couple ideas to do myself on this post, so hope that will take care of what I do get. I seem to be sleeping better and not moving so much the more I use this. Slept 6 hours straight last night without turning over! That's a first and it was great. Oh--I also got a smaller mask. I think I have the same style as yours. That made a big difference also.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:02 am

Have you replaced the cushion on a regular basis? That may help.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Have you considered switching mask? It appears from your post that you've never really resolved the leaks since therapy began.

For many folks, they go through several models and/or types before finding the one that works best for them. I started with one nasal mask, switched to another nasal mask, then a nasal pillow and then a second nasal pillow - all in span of 3 months!

lfreese

Post by lfreese » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:17 pm

I had lots of problems with leaks with my Mirage quattro as well. I found a product called Remzzzs Mask Liners which are made of 100% cotton and fit over the gasket of the mask. It was so simple I almost didn't try it, but it works great. It practically eliminated my leak problems 100%. They are on the innernet. cost 30 for about $25. You can use a fresh one each nite, but I use mine about 3 times before discarding. You can also use facial creams if you chose without damaging the plastic mask gasket.
Larry in Cincinnati

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:59 pm

There is a possibility you may have been fitted with the wrong size mask.

You might want to try the Resmed mask fitting templates here

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/html/ma ... lates.html