dropped APAP/broken-under warranty???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kemosabe2

dropped APAP/broken-under warranty???

Post by Kemosabe2 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:51 am

Last night I accidentally pulled the hose with my covers and pulled my brand new APAP machine onto the floor---upside down. Water from humidifier every. They replaced a broken S8 Elite II just before Thanksgiving with my new Autoset II. It's been working GREAT!!! I've been getting less than 5 AHI's a night. Does anyone know if I do something to break the machine, is it still covered under warranty? Thanks, Lisa

Daffney_Gillfin

Re: dropped APAP/broken-under warranty???

Post by Daffney_Gillfin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:09 am

If I remember correctly from reading when I dumped my Elite when it was less than three months old, water damage voids the warranty. I unplugged my machine as soon as I realized what had happened. I shook out as much water as I could, and let it dry out. I also used a hair dryer set on the no-heat setting on it for a while, also. I really can't remember if I slept without it the first night afterwards. I know I considered it, but I think I actually did use it the next night. It was fine. I used it for several months afterwards, and then loaned it to my SIL for a year or so. It still runs, but has been assigned as back-up status.
--
DG
Silverlining output screenshots http://www.flickr.com/photos/daffneygillfin/
"Pain breeds compliance" -- Rudy Reyes
Pressure set at 11(min) - 15(max) Titrated 11

Kemosabe2

Post by Kemosabe2 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:19 am

Thank you Daffney! I figured it would void the warranty. I did unplug it, but didn't even think of dying with a hair dryr. I'll try that. When I turned it on this AM it did go on but couldn't hold it's pressure. I also tried it without the mask and it didn't indicate "High Leak!!!" I'll try your suggestions and see what happens tonight. I can't believe I did this. I feel SO stupid! Thanks, Lisa

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:34 am

I agree with what Daffney said about getting that thing dried out. (although I don't know about the warranty issue).
In my opinion, that's a downside to having a small, lightweight machine. And, through my readings on this site, it seems to happen more to ResMed machines......or at least there are more reportings of those machines getting dumped during the night.

If you don't already, I'd suggest at least getting something rubbery underneath it (I use old mouse pads). There's also a waffle-like rubbery mat material that's sold to be used under throw rugs to keep them from moving.
If that doesn't get it.......tape or fasten that thing down to the nightstand (or whatever solid location it's parked on. (Duct tape?)

An ounce of prevention.......

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:39 am

Who replaced the broken unit the manufacturere or your insurance? How old was the old unit that was replaced? If it was replaced under warranty prehaps your insurance will pick up the tab. I know my insurance said even if I accidently break it they will repair or replace it.
These units sould come with some kind of rubber feet on them to prevent them from sliding like that.

Gerry

Kemosabe2

Post by Kemosabe2 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:53 am

Gerry, My DME just exchanged my last machine for the new one without even going through the insurance co. He's a great guy. All he needed was a new script for the APAP. I'd had the CPAP for just under a year so he sent that one back under warranty. It was very nice of him, but I'm pretty sure he's not going to do it again so soon and especially not if I caused the problem. Of course, I'll wait to see if it comes back after it's dried out and see if it works tonight. I hope so. I'll definitely put it on something rubber if I can get it to work. That's a good suggestion,Den! Thanks to both of you for responding. Lisa

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:23 am

The first time I nearly pulled my machine off my nightstand with a tug of the hose was the last time. Fearing what might happen the next time, I "anchored" the hose.

I affixed a small hook to the headboard, 1-2 feet above and to the side of the machine's hose connection, looped a metal ring through a strip of self-attaching Velcro, wrapped the Velcro tightly around the hose where the hose met with the hook on the headboard, and hung the ring on the hook. (3M Command hooks can be used anywhere and do no damage to the surface. I didn't have any at the time, so I used a picture-hanging hook.)

Here's a pic of what I did. The machine sits to the left, and my pillow and mask are off to the right. I can pull on the hose from the mask end all I want without moving the machine.

Hope that helps.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

ww

Post by ww » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:47 am

Hope you get it fixed or replaced. I was lucky and had no damage to mine the first time I drug it off the nightstand. After that I bought a roll of ties from Lowes. They are the Velcro kind that one side sticks to the other side. I use them to secure the hose to the headboard. There are also some hose management systems that fit under your mattress with a pole to keep the hose in place. Good Luck.

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:57 pm

That waffle like material can be found in larger camping stores and some chain discouts stores sell it near the roll sheets of drawer and shelf liners. I use it on the shelves in our camper and under the cushions on a couch were the cushions slide out if you look at them.

Best of luck and let us know if it dried out and worked.

Gerry

cg232323

Post by cg232323 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:45 pm

I have had my CPAP machine for about 5 months. I took it on vacation with me and the last night it slid off the table and hit the floor. I put it back and filled it up and it worked that night. I'm home and I go to turn it on and it is saying the cord is not in correctly but it is. I think I broke it. Afraid to go to sleep can't do anything about it now at 10:45pm....

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:56 pm

cg232323 wrote:I have had my CPAP machine for about 5 months. I took it on vacation with me and the last night it slid off the table and hit the floor. I put it back and filled it up and it worked that night. I'm home and I go to turn it on and it is saying the cord is not in correctly but it is. I think I broke it. Afraid to go to sleep can't do anything about it now at 10:45pm....
you got the plug wet and it corroded overnight. now it's not making contact properly.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:04 pm

cg232323 wrote:I have had my CPAP machine for about 5 months. I took it on vacation with me and the last night it slid off the table and hit the floor. I put it back and filled it up and it worked that night. I'm home and I go to turn it on and it is saying the cord is not in correctly but it is. I think I broke it. Afraid to go to sleep can't do anything about it now at 10:45pm....
The CORD or the CARD?
If the CORD was not in correctly and not supplying power, it probably wouldn't say anything.
If the CARD is not inserted correctly, it could give an error message.

Which specific machine do you have (exact make and model)?
If there was water in the chamber, did you try to make sure none of it got into the machine......and if it did, did you try to make sure it was good and dry before trying to use it?
Have you inspected all of the components to make sure they're fitting together properly?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:19 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
The CORD or the CARD?
If the CORD was not in correctly and not supplying power, it probably wouldn't say anything.
incorrect, modern machines use a sense pin in the power connector that tells them what type of power supply is connected, if that circuit doesn't function, then the machine will refuse to operate properly.

there has been at least one report of someone who fumbled their air10, got the plug wet, and the electrical currents eroded away the sense pin, necessitating replacement of the power cord, or if someone is handy with a soldering iron, the plug.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:34 pm

palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
The CORD or the CARD?
incorrect, modern machines use a sense pin in the power connector that tells them what type of power supply is connected, if that circuit doesn't function, then the machine will refuse to operate properly.

there has been at least one report of someone who fumbled their air10, got the plug wet, and the electrical currents eroded away the sense pin, necessitating replacement of the power cord, or if someone is handy with a soldering iron, the plug.
The poster never stated which machine they had. Don't know if it was an internal or external power supply/brick.
But, anything's possible.

Den

User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:40 pm

Wulfman... wrote:The poster never stated which machine they had. Don't know if it was an internal or external power supply/brick.
But, anything's possible.
of course not, a non-registered poster supplying useful information?
however, in light of:
cg232323 wrote:I have had my CPAP machine for about 5 months.
along with having seen the exact same symptoms reported here (I believe) not too long ago... *shrug*