how to get rid of new plastic smell in mask?!?!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
new-to-BiPAP

how to get rid of new plastic smell in mask?!?!

Post by new-to-BiPAP » Thu May 29, 2008 3:53 pm

I just picked up my mask today and it has a plastic smell to it. I have a Fisher&Paykel FlexiFit Nasal Mask. Some of it I can wash (I will try and soap and if that doesn't work try vinegar and water). However, one piece is foam (with a little covering over it kind of). It says not to immerse in water. Not sure exactly how to fix the smell on that. Any suggestions? I don't want to ruin it before I use it for the first time!

jules

Post by jules » Thu May 29, 2008 4:22 pm

It might not go away very fast.

I am chemically sensitive and have to age all my masks for a month or more before use. I don't know your particular mask, but I do 24 hour soaks in either a vinegar or baking soda solution (depends on my mood), followed by airing for a week then another 24 hour soak and then weeks of airing. Even with this the Optilife was totally toxic even months later; it was the most toxic mask I tried.

For now you deal with it and if you can't tolerate it then ask for a different mask at the DME. You might ask them what are their old obsolete masks as they might be less toxic. You might have to ask for a customer "demo" mask as it might have been out airing for months and thus outgassed.

Another thing that might help is running the machine with the mask and use some kind of stuffed animal or pillow so there is some resistance for the flow. I did this before I started on cpap. The mask wasn't the only toxic issue for me as the hose and the fine particle filters on the Remstar's are also toxic for me.

Once you do find a mask you like, I suggest you consider always having a back up one that is properly aged. I do this for my masks and my hose.

new-to-BiPAP

Post by new-to-BiPAP » Thu May 29, 2008 7:00 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll make sure I don't get an Optilife! I'm glad you mentioned the hose...I might have forgotten about it. I've cleaned everything (with vinegar water and/or baking soda paste) but I'm sure it won't get rid of enuf of the smell. Will see how I do tonight. Hopefully I can deal with it for now until I can get extra supplies to air out. The hard plastic part of the mask doesn't seem to smell that I can tell...it's the other flexible parts that do. This should be interesting.

deglorious

Post by deglorious » Thu May 29, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi, I used to have the Flexifit mask but the smell never bothered me. May I suggest getting Pur-Sleep? There are many on the forum that will swear by it.

Good luck,

Deglorious

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Thu May 29, 2008 11:20 pm

Would it be insensitive of me to suggest thinking of it as "that new car smell"?

I just got my new APAP Tuesday and thought the smell was pretty strong myself. I thought it was less pronounced by the second night, and I'm sure it will soon become background. I think the whole system is a contributor, especially the new hose. Probably a good wash for all the passive delivery parts woujld help.

oakmont

Post by oakmont » Fri May 30, 2008 7:55 am

i know what you mean about the plastic smell... I normally use a ResMed liberty which has no smell whatsoever and got my DME to give me a Hybrid brand mask to trial... the plastic smell really was too much... i do hear that if you leave them to air out the smell will dissipate because theyve been bagged from the manufacturer and the smell had no way to escape..

Post by Guest » Fri May 30, 2008 9:51 am

Here's what I do:

1) Wash thoroughly in hot water and Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap.
2) Soak in a 50/50 solution of hot water and white vinegar for 4 hours or more.
3) Re-wash in peppermint soap to kill vinegar smell.
4) Air Dry
5) Use PurSleep every single night: http://www.pur-sleep.com

Good luck!
B.

new-to-BiPAP

Post by new-to-BiPAP » Fri May 30, 2008 3:43 pm

regarding the new car smell (my mom likes it but I don't care for it). The respiratory person at the DME said he actually LIKES new plastic smells (bleck!!!!)

Hadn't thought of anything but vinegar or baking soda...

no comfortable adding pur-sleep since I'm' so sensitive to things...sounds neat tho!

Thanks so much everyone!