Someone give me a suggestion....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fogels

Someone give me a suggestion....

Post by fogels » Fri May 09, 2008 5:46 pm

I am relatively new to CPAP.

I am a 24 year old male and have had OSA for at least 5 years. Before I started treatment I would sleep 12 hours EVERY night, even through my alarm.

I am using F&P straight CPAP and the DME set my machine pressure to 7, to which she assured me I should never change.

After about 8 or 9 months of it not having any benefit I searched the internet and found out how to change my pressure. I have been fiddling with it the last couple weeks and find that the best night sleep has been at 16!!!!

Is it dangerous to have it so much higher than titration? I have had 2 sleep labs and I guess the 7 came from the second one in which I wore CPAP.

Thanks for your help.

CentralScrutinizer

Post by CentralScrutinizer » Fri May 09, 2008 6:23 pm

I've read that having too high a pressure can potentially cause central apneas...

I'm a bit supprised by your situation... Either you have really bad sleep study techs... or something is very odd...

Are you sure your not experiencing a lot of leaking? Perhaps the higher pressure is compensating for the leaking?

If you have insurance and/or the costs of seeing more doctors is not a big issue for you... I would suggest getting more opinions from medical professionals...

I myself adjusted my own pressure, but I adjusted it down... I felt the prescribed pressure was too hard to sleep with... Mine was prescribed at 9cmH20, I set it to 8cmH20... Now that I'm used to 8, I could likely raise it to 9 and not have problems getting to sleep... however I have been monitoring my apnea events with my data capable CPAP machine, and my apneas are well controlled, so I don't really see any point in raising it now.

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Fri May 09, 2008 6:30 pm

Fogels,

Welcome. If you have been using your CPAP for 9 months, I don't call you a newbie. Has your doctor said anything about your not sleeping better, 9 months is a long time for no progress.

Many people do not use the presure they were tirated at. Some lower some higher. Supposably, your tiration determined the amount of pressure needed to keep your airway open. A one night sample is not nessessarily right. My own doctor admitted he thought mine was too low.

7 to 16 is a big jump. Did you do this in one change, or ease it up? It is possible to "miss the mark" if you make too big a jump at a time, but then you are feeling better Any time you change your pressure, you should leave there for a week before you make anyother changes - make sure one night isn't a fluke.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri May 09, 2008 6:33 pm

You will go to CPAP h3ll for finding a pressure that meets your needs. Just kidding.

Even using the software - my best measure is "how do I feel"?

If I understood you correctly, your sleep study was 5yrs ago? and you are now realizing there is an increase in pressure? Very possible. Your PSG is like your picture on Gramma's mantle- the data doesn't change but you sure do.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Fri May 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Hello & Welcome, fogels! Glad you found this forum--SO much useful info and SO many helpful people here!

Most of us here have fiddled with our pressure, but I purchased an auto titrating machine to find my sweet spot after a year and a half of no results from my sleep study titration (study set me at 6, my sweet spot is 12.5). I'd suggest getting an auto machine, let it check your pressure needs. I'd not want to raise my pressure without data upon which to base these changes. Good luck!

"You are getting sleepy . . ."

Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

fogels

Post by fogels » Fri May 09, 2008 7:09 pm

Thanks for the responses guys!

My first study was 2 years ago and the conclusion was mild to moderate OSA. I lost the descriptive results, but I remeber it was "mild to moderate" which I heard was 15-25 or somewhere around there.

After the 8 or so months, I went to the place I received the CPAP, and told the lady that I was still tired and would like the pressure raised. She raised it to 9 and said she couldn't raise it any more unless I had another sleep study.

I still didn't feel any better!!! After I found out how to change it myself, I raised it to 12, and immediately I started to sleep only 9 hours a night opposed to 12.
So now I was sleeping less, but still felt like a zombie all day.

Now I'm at 16 and have good nights and bad. I notice some nights I wake up with a ridiculously dry mouth. I bought tape today to see if it will help.

NightHawkeye

Welcome fogels

Post by NightHawkeye » Fri May 09, 2008 8:19 pm

Welcome fogels,

Studies have shown that patients are capable of adjusting their CPAP machines just as well as the sleep labs strictly on the basis of how they feel. Of course, having a machine which records data makes the process a lot faster and takes much of the guesswork away.

Rather than having another titration study done, as was recommended to you, I'd suggest that maybe you'd benefit more from getting a newer machine which records data of your nightly events. Simply get a copy of your prescription and buy a machine online. Even paying the full cost of a new machine online, that's likely be cheaper for you than the copay on another sleep study. At least that's true with my own insurance. Of course, it may not be true with yours, so it'd be good to check first.

You're doing the right thing trying to sort it out and get your machine adjusted properly. It'll make a big difference long-term for you.

Regards,
Bill

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Fri May 09, 2008 8:24 pm

Welcome to the forum. Adjusting your pressure by feel will work, but its like walking through a strange room in the dark: you have to go slow and you could wind up with a stubbed toe. Your current machine has no data info, so it pretty hard to be sure if you are improving things by increasing your pressure. An APAP with access to nightly data would be best, like the M series with Aflex. Even the S8 Elite straight CPAP would be an improvement for you, because you can access your nightly average each day after making a change . You can ask your Dr for a copy of your prescription and buy one out of your own pocket, but most insurance will only pay for a new machine every 5 years.

Or stick with what you have. Like someone else said, it's how you feel that really matters. You should definitely try taping your mouth at night. The dry mouth you are reporting is almost certainly from mouth breathing or leaking.

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Fri May 09, 2008 8:32 pm

Hi fogels,
Did you go from 12 to 16? The best thing to do would have been to make 1 cm pressure changes (at most), and give them at least a week each. What kind of mask do you use?
I had problems with using tape. I thought it was going well, but I discovered that what seemed to happen was that it caused a back pressure up into my sinuses, and caused some problems there.
Having a leaky mask really messes up your entire treatment. You might not need as much pressure, if you just fix your leak problem. Good luck!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri May 09, 2008 8:40 pm

alnhwrd wrote: You should definitely try taping your mouth at night. The dry mouth you are reporting is almost certainly from mouth breathing or leaking.
If you can't hold the pressure in your airway, treatment won't be good. First seal the tator trap shut. You could use a APAP with software, so you don't have to guess what's going on. No way can you tell if you are mouthleaking, unless you take the correct steps to prevent it. It would happen in your deepest sleep. The software allows you to see what and when. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

fogels

Post by fogels » Fri May 09, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks again guys!!!

I live in Ontario, Canada and I'm not sure if I can trade it in. The machine I have now cost $1200!!!! Thank god the government paid for $750 of it. I regret not coming to this site before I purchased it. I had know idea there was even such machines. I thought they all just push air lol.

Does anybody know where I can sell or trade the one I currently own?

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Fri May 09, 2008 9:37 pm

fogels wrote:Does anybody know where I can sell or trade the one I currently own?
http://www.cpapauction.com