repti heat cable query

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ms Piggy

repti heat cable query

Post by Ms Piggy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:38 am

Hi, I think that I read somewhere on the forum that the repti -cable is only heated for 5 ft of it's ll ft length.
Is this correct?
Just located one in a pet supply in the city, could be different mfg, which is ll ft BUT they told me on the phone that
the whole length heats. I hope to pick it up later this week, but if what they say it right with the one they sell
WHAT will I do with the extra length? perhaps doubling it back up the hose will work.
Thought I would get a 15watt and put a heat control on it either a reostat (variable resistor)
or variable transformer with output 0 - 120 - as happen to have one. thanks for any info.

Re: repti heat cable query

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:15 am

Either they are misinformed or are talking about another cable. Doubling up the cable is NOT a good idea - period.

Some things for you to read BEFORE you start a fire.

viewtopic/t34288/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34 ... able+query

search.php?keywords=repti+heat+cable

I've had real good service from these folks -
http://www.reptilesupply.com/index.php? ... anner_id=4
I believe they have the cable specs listed too.

HTH

Ms Piggy

Post by Ms Piggy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:41 am

yes, thanks for the concern.

I checked the site of the mfg., Zoo Med , Repti cable and the 11ft odd cable has a 6ft odd cold lead wire with 5 ft heated. so the hot section is as I thought someone had previously said.

marshaeb

Post by marshaeb » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:56 am

I'm so glad you asked, because it gives us an excuse to read through this again:
viewtopic/t34288/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33 ... &sk=t&sd=a

Marsha

Ms Piggy

Post by Ms Piggy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:32 pm

I wasn't asking anything, just giving out info in case anyone was interested, as even the folks who sell
this cable have been known to say that the whole 11 ft heat up and that is not correct. anyway, I'm pleased that you are pleased.

markinOz

Post by markinOz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:21 am

Hi,

I bought a 4 metre, 15 watt, repti cord. The whole cord heats. I found that just running it down the length didn't heat the air enough. I then wrapped the cord around and around, then covered it with a cover. There was no cross over and no extra cord. Works great. I don't use a thermostat as I beleive that I need the full 15 watts. The thread by Danmc is very funny however I think you will find that he did a "Tim the toolman Taylor" and supercharged his.

Good luck.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:14 am

Mark, sounds like your cable is definitely different. Perhaps you could provide a link to the cable you are using.
markinOz wrote:Hi,

I bought a 4 metre, 15 watt, repti cord. The whole cord heats. I found that just running it down the length didn't heat the air enough. I then wrapped the cord around and around, then covered it with a cover. There was no cross over and no extra cord. Works great. I don't use a thermostat as I beleive that I need the full 15 watts. The thread by Danmc is very funny however I think you will find that he did a "Tim the toolman Taylor" and supercharged his.

Good luck.

gasp

Post by gasp » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:10 am

While I can't find any scientific studies on my following comment. Perhaps this is because the hose is not manufactured with the intention of being heated. Still, I do have a level of concern about heating the hose.

My concern is that we are not assured by the manufacturers of hoses that they do not contain harmful plastics. By heating plastic, we cause the plastic to breakdown, even if not visibly. This frees the chemicals into the air that is then breathed in by the person on XPAP.

This would be much like the warnings we see about heating foods in plastic not approved for heating in microwaves.

Until I know for certain, I will continue to put up with rainout.

markinOz

Post by markinOz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi sorry for the delay, I have been away.

I bought mine online from;

http://www.australianreptiles.com.au/

It cost $20AUD plus delivery.

I am not really worried about heating the plastic. I'll prbably die of something else like heart disease first.

Cheers,

Mark

Ms Piggy

Post by Ms Piggy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:16 pm

Yes, that bothers me too, the possible effect on the plastic re freeing chemicals etc. That's why I have opted for the cheaper repti cable route for now. i only intend to use it on chilly nights before we start using the furnace & if I have bad rainout.
I have rigged a dimmer switch which I used to use for controlling the temp of an old soldering iron - nothing to do with cpap of course

gasp

Post by gasp » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:35 pm

markinOz wrote:Hi sorry for the delay, I have been away.

I bought mine online from;

http://www.australianreptiles.com.au/

It cost $20AUD plus delivery.

I am not really worried about heating the plastic. I'll prbably die of something else like heart disease first.

Cheers,

Mark
I don't know if you meant to be clever/funny, and I hope it doesn't happen, and I laughed when reading about you probably dying of heart disease first. I will be really upset if I die of cancer from toxins etc after all the trouble I've gone to avoiding them!