Activa questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jomac30

Activa questions

Post by jomac30 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:58 am

I've been wanting to try the Activa nasal mask, but my dme tells me its a heavy mask and works best for people with high pressures. Is this true? What pressures do you Activa people use? Is the mask heavy on your face?
Started: 1/25/07 Pressure: 13
Masks: Comfortselect, Comfortgel, Comfortlite 2, UMFF, Optilife

sleepyred

Re: Activa questions

Post by sleepyred » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:05 am

Pressure - 8 -12. Average 8.3.

It is bulky - but after trying mask after mask after mask, I always go back to my activa. My latest try was the micro - never could get it to stop leaking.

I love my activa! I have used it primarily since 2005.

Love these products:
Pad a Cheeks
http://www.padacheek.com/index.html
Pur-Sleep System
http://www.pur-sleep.com/

echo

Post by echo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:08 am

I love the Activa, and use it easily on any any pressure.. well the pressures I've tried it on run from 7cm to 11cm.
It can easily run on low and high pressures!

It seals like a charm (as long as you wash off all the oil daily) and follows you around from sleeping on your back to your side to your stomach.

Some people have likened it to an octopus stuck on your face ... because of the way it billows on your face. Sometimes it goes in and out as you breathe but I haven't noticed that unless I take a real deep breath.

It's slightly bulky but for that I thread the hose through my fancy hose management system (a rope hanging from the ceiling ) . I think the weight of the hose pulls it down more than anything. It easily compares to my UMFF in weight , so it's not like sleeping with a rock on your face or anything. I haven't noticed it being heavy, but then again I haven't tried any other interface besides the UMFF.

For many it's a great starter or backup mask - for me it's my nightly mask. If you're a bit claustrophobic I guess it might take some getting used due to it slight bulkiness (again, that's due to the billowing effect IMHO).

Also I think you can put any size silicon mask on the same frame - and it's easy to buy replacement silicone when the old one wears out - you don't have to buy a whole new mask (as with most masks).

I want to start a trial-run for the Activa (inspired by Bab's NAII trial) but that will have to wait another couple of months til I get my act together

My vote is that you try it
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

jomac30

Post by jomac30 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:17 am

Thanks so much for your help. the dme told me the "bellowing" would only work for high pressure. When I was on straight cpap my pressure was 13. Now on apap I vary from 8 - 13 with an average of 8.6 I'm going to give it a try. I seem to like nasal masks better than nasal pillows. right now I'm using a comfortgel.
Started: 1/25/07 Pressure: 13
Masks: Comfortselect, Comfortgel, Comfortlite 2, UMFF, Optilife

sleepyred

Post by sleepyred » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:28 am

jomac30 wrote:Thanks so much for your help. the dme told me the "bellowing" would only work for high pressure. When I was on straight cpap my pressure was 13. Now on apap I vary from 8 - 13 with an average of 8.6 I'm going to give it a try. I seem to like nasal masks better than nasal pillows. right now I'm using a comfortgel.
I agree with Echo - try it. I started out with this mask and a pressure of 6. The octopus nature of the mask (bellowing) worked at 6. My DME said that this is their standard mask - for newbies and veteran cpap users. Also agreeing with Echo - I can toss and turn with no problems. I do have a hose hanger as well.

Love these products:
Pad a Cheeks
http://www.padacheek.com/index.html
Pur-Sleep System
http://www.pur-sleep.com/

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:24 am

I tried this mask and would have had a nice affair with it, had it been smaller. It seems it is made for longer types of faces and for us smaller faces it just does not sit/fit well on us. As far as the functioning of this mask, it does work very well.
Brooke

jsmythe

Post by jsmythe » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:29 am

I started out with the Activa and the Swift II a year ago. And after trying 17 others, I always go back to the Activa. I alternate between the Swift II and the Activa.

Started using cpap Sept. 12, 2007
Respironics PR System One Bi-Pap Auto w/Flex,pressure of 9/15, do not use ramp

rubberchimp

Post by rubberchimp » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:51 pm

I've been using the Activa for nearly 2 months at a pressure of 7, and aside from a couple of minor niggles, I reckon it's great. I suppose it might be a tad heavier than some of the others I tried, but once you connect a hose, I think the mask weight becomes a non-issue compared to the weight of the hose hanging from it. I originally ended up with the Activa 'cause I couldn't find any other nasal masks that sealed consistently and well. When I first started with it, I got marks on my forehead and on the bridge of my nose, but I've got it adjusted properly now so I get a great seal and only get marks if I end up actually lying partly on it (I'm a side sleeper). When it's adjusted well, it will probably feel too loose until you connect to the CPAP and the mask inflates.

There are a couple of things that bother me a bit about it.. The air blows straight into the front of the mask and onto the front of my nose... The skin there is pretty sensitive and quite often it tickles and distracts me when trying to sleep. It feels like moisture is gathering there and is going to drip down . Secondly the outflow vents are located on a swiveling hose elbow piece. This means that as you move during the night, the direction that the air blows out will change with the hose position, and it can be kinda chilly if it ends up blowing onto your arm or something and noisy if it's blowing on a pillow or bedding.

I'd say it's well worth trying if you're after a nasal mask.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:41 pm

When my ComfortLite II fights back for several nights, i reach for my old Activa...
remember the scene in "Alien" when the creature gloms onto John Hurt's face....?
Other than that it's ok.

bigk

Post by bigk » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:54 pm

I've used the Activa since last December till last week when I got the Swift LT. The Activa while a great mask is not going to be getting much use anymore.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Mirage Swift LT Nasal Pillows
Activa Nasal Mask
Resscan Software with USB + Data Card
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
MedicMon Blood Pressure Monitor
Aussie Heated Hose

markinOz

Post by markinOz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:40 am

The only mask I use is the Activa. I have tried the nasal pillows but just couldn't get used to it. I have an average pressure of 10.2. No worries. I would like to try other masks, however, it is an expensive exercise to try a new mask and then find out that it doesn't work for you.

Good luck.