Need help choosing a new machine, Intellipap or s8 elite II?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wrenna

Need help choosing a new machine, Intellipap or s8 elite II?

Post by Wrenna » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:40 am

I could use some help choosing a new machine. I've been using a basic Sleepstyle machine, and I'm looking to upgrade. It's ok, but not great. I'd like something quieter and that compensates for leaks. The compact size is nice for travel. I don't really use the humidifier that much since I live in Oregon

I also have a remstar M series but I never use it as both my husband and I dislike it. It's very noisy to us, we hate the wooshing sound that is far more difficult to ignore than a steady white noise sound (I swear it still makes the wooshing even with the C-Flex turned off), and my husband claims that I snore more on the remstar M than on the basic sleepstyle. I also dislike the glowing buttons.

The Intellipap and s8 Elite II seem like my best choices for an upgrade, especially as far as noise goes. I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. I must admit to not really using the software functions on the remstar M the few times I've used it (reader and software are still in their wrappers!), so that's not a big feature for me. I'm concerned that the Easy Breathe technology of the S8 Elite II will bug me with wooshing noise. Otoh, I'm not so keen on the backlit display on the Intellipap as I'd rather not keep a sock over my machine!
Which do you guys think is the better machine?

I'm looking at cpap machines because my doctor told me that an apap would actually be detrimental. I basically need a steady pressure all night.
Anyway, I figure I should upgrade soon while my prescription is still good. (I can't go back to the doctor anytime soon due to job changes and corresponding health care changes)
So any advice you can offer would be great!

montana user

Re: Need help choosing a new machine, Intellipap or s8 elite II?

Post by montana user » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:44 am

I really like the elite. Especially if you don't use the humidifier, the machine is very compact and easy to travel with. I had the M series for a while, and also was not a fan of it. so chock 1 up for the elite. I'm sure this will be an interesting debate over these machines. I am looking forward to all the comments.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:13 am

Can you try a rental? That way you'd know for sure which you'd like...

cotech50

Post by cotech50 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:21 am

I am going with the Resperonics PR One - no doubt in my mind a better machine for me!

1. quietness- not a little quieter- a lot- literally my wife did not know it was on!!
[ autoset was way quieter than aflex- this is very much quieter than autoset]

2. ease of breathing- it is different and better than aflex- no fighting the machine at all- it breathes with you
[resmed autoset EPR is great also- as good as aflex- this PR is better in my opinion]

You might consider the PR ONE also

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:09 am

I am new to this, only been on a machine since middle of Sept. I started with the resmed escape (its awful) and then got the resmed Elite II. I like it a lot better than the Escape and I think it is very very quiet and so does my hubby. The only time things get noisy is when my nose plugs up and I can't breath and I start fighting the mask. Like someone suggested maybe rent each one for a month and see???

Modistee

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:25 am

I have no experience w/the IntelliPAP, tho I wouldn't be at all adverse to trying one if the opportunity arose. However, I can say that the Resmed fully data capable xPAPs excel in ease of access to and amount of data available via the LCD screen. You really don't need the software and cable reader altho they are a nice plus for those who are data junkies. I'm not particularly sensitive to noise evidently as I've used the Respironics pre-M Series Auto w/C-Flex, Respironics pre-M Series BiPAP Auto w/BiFlex, Resmed S8 Elite w/EPR, Resmed S8 AutoSet and now the Resmed VPAP Auto and whilst I got good therapy w/each and didn't find noise a problem w/any, I much preferred my Resmeds. I just am NOT a fan of the Respironics power brick platform and I do like my daily "data fix" via that LCD screen. It does seem that it is often more the individual device than the brand or model that have noise problems.

The VPAP Auto does have the EasyBreathe technology and it is smooth and quiet. I love it. I use it in Auto mode and I hear nothing.

I do have to say tho, that I sat w/in 2 feet of a PR SystemOne turned on at 15 cms of pressure at a local apnea support group meeting and had NO IDEA it was on and running until the Rep told me it was on and pulled the cap to let me feel the pressure. It was that quiet! I have to admit to being very impressed!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:36 am

I don't have any direct experience with the Intellipap, so can't help you there. Have you read the user reviews at cpap.com?

I have an Resmed S8 AutoSet II which can be set in auto or cpap mode. You can set it in straight cpap mode, but in the future if you need to tweak your settings, you have the option of using the auto mode to self-titrate. I was titrated at 7 cm H2O, but after experimenting with apap settings, found that 10.2 cpap was my ideal setting.

I've also seen and heard the ResmedElite II and both are very quiet, especially if you don't use the humidifier. And though you don't use it now, you may appreciate having the data available to you, especially if you don't have access to your doctor. Just my opinion.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:50 am

If you ever need higher pressue, and want relief when you exhale, you won't get it from the Intellipap.

I too am using an Autoset II now, with EasyBreathe, and am impressed by its silence.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

secret agent girl

Post by secret agent girl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:26 am

Last edited by secret agent girl on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrenna

Post by Wrenna » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:02 pm

Does the noise of the resmed S8 AutoSet or Elite II change because of the EasyBreathe? What about the PR One? With the M Series the noise level fluctuates with my breathing(what I call wooshing) and is not constant. My husband and I both find it hard to fall asleep with the variable noise of the machine, so I'm worried that the S8 II or the PR One will do that as well.

How well does the measured decibel level match up to the sound level users experience? I thought the series M was quiet until I got it home and tried to sleep with it.

Is there someplace online to rent? I can't rent from my doctor because a) I'm changing locations, jobs, and health insurance, and b) They have nothing but cheap old machines to rent.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:14 pm

I do not notice any change w/the VPAP Auto in Auto mode. The VPAP Auto has the EasyBreathe technology. Is there a local apnea support group in your area? You could check w/others who have various xPAPs and how they rate the sound of their xPAPs.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:16 pm

Wrenna wrote:So any advice you can offer would be great!
I have used both systems.

I'm a Resmed convert.
I used to stuff a big pillow in front of the night
stand my Mseries lived in to muffle the noise.
My S8 auto sits in full view, naked to the world.
No noise problem.

I will never go back to the Mseries....only an emergency.
I now have a backup for my backup Resmed.
You do the math.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:11 pm

ozij did use both...the ResMed and the DeVilbiss machines.

I would definitely choose a ResMed S8 II series machine (Elite II cpap or Autoset II autopap) over a DeVilbiss machine.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Wrenna wrote:Does the noise of the resmed S8 AutoSet or Elite II change because of the EasyBreathe?
Nope. I use EPR set to 1 and still can't detect a change in sound.
Wrenna wrote:...variable noise of the machine
No whooshing, steady pitch
sound level users experience?
My former Escape and the AutoSet are both quiet; when I go to an annual convention my roommate (good friend) reminds me to turn it on when it's already running on the nightstand between us, it's that quiet! The CO2 venting on my mask is noisier than either machine

If you have a sleep doc or close contact with a sleep lab, they might have loaners you sign out.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

secret agent girl

Post by secret agent girl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:35 pm

Last edited by secret agent girl on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.