TV in Bedroom Poll

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Do you watch TV in bed?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 291

RipVW

TV in Bedroom Poll

Post by RipVW » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:05 am

I keep reading that we should not watch TV in bed, but I'm just addicted. Have to watch for 20-30 minutes in bed, my ritual. Wondering how many of us ingore this advice, so thought a poll would be interesting.

From:http://sleepdisorders.about.com/od/howc ... m.htm?nl=1

"You may think it's crazy, but should you ban the TV from your bedroom? For many it is as much a part of the daily routine as a morning cup of coffee: drifting off to sleep to the wisecracks of Conan or Letterman, or another selection from hundreds of channels. But could these late-night television shows be ruining your sleep?"
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

jsmythe

Re: TV in Bedroom Poll

Post by jsmythe » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:18 am

I have never, had a TV in the bedroom. I used to read books, then I realized I was reading longer than I was sleeping... so I quit doing that.

Started using cpap Sept. 12, 2007
Respironics PR System One Bi-Pap Auto w/Flex,pressure of 9/15, do not use ramp

Catnapper

Post by Catnapper » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:26 am

I don't watch that much TV anyway, and not in bed.

I do read in bed. That makes my eyes want to close, unless it is a really good book. My husband likes to watch sports on TV and will watch the end of a game while in bed if it is time to go to bed. I would rather go to sleep in another room. I like a quiet dark cool room for sleeping.

Now that I think of it, I wish it was dark, quiet and cool right now. Yawn.

Catnapper

spacetoast

Post by spacetoast » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:41 am

No TV or music in our bedroom. I do read in bed for 15-20 minutes usually, though.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:26 am

I just got a nice 47 inch TV for the bedroom

I think what you watch is also important. If you are watching an action movie your mind is going to be getting much more active than if you watch something completely boring like baseball

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:29 am

RipVW wrote:I keep reading that we should not watch TV in bed, but I'm just addicted. Have to watch for 20-30 minutes in bed, my ritual. Wondering how many of us ingore this advice, so thought a poll would be interesting."You may think it's crazy, but should you ban the TV from your bedroom? For many it is as much a part of the daily routine as a morning cup of coffee: drifting off to sleep to the wisecracks of Conan or Letterman, or another selection from hundreds of channels. But could these late-night television shows be ruining your sleep?"
I have a TV in my bedroom. I don't really watch TV in bed very often. I have it on as I'm doing chores, getting ready for bed/work....set the timer to 120 minutes (automatic set) and go to sleep immediately most nights. However if I go to sleep without setting the timer, I sometimes am awakened middle of the night with "people talking in my room" or I may have near misses with my alarm in the morning with the TV on. Personally, I believe sleep hygiene recommendations have to be guidelines not necessarily absolute rules. I always find it interesting that the bed is only for "sleeping and sex" in most sleep hygiene recommendations. I question why sex? and if there is no sex, is that a problems for sleep hygiene as well....guidelines need flexibility where the flexibility works the best. That's my 2 cents anyway (and where did the cent symbol go?)

elg5cats

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:54 am

That cent symbol is back on your typewriter keyboard.

In XP, you can go to Start > All Program > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map and find any character available.

Like this one: ¢
jeff

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:05 am

jdm2857 wrote:That cent symbol is back on your typewriter keyboard. In XP, you can go to Start > All Program > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map and find any character available. Like this one: ¢
ȼȼ, ah I found it, your instructions work on Vista Home too!!!!...........Thank you, now I know how to add my 2ȼ the "correct way."

elg5cats

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

Maple Leaf

Post by Maple Leaf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:59 am

You could remove my bed and I would sleep on the floor..... don't remove my precious flat screen from my bedroom

clanrat

Post by clanrat » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:03 am

I used to be a cable guy, and TV in the bedroom is very common. About 70%, I'd say.

Personally, I don't have one. The bedroom is for sleeping and adult activities. Sometimes a little reading before sleep but that's about it.

MauraAnderson

Post by MauraAnderson » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:10 am

No TV in the bedroom for me. I try to keep the bedroom for sleeping and maybe a little reading or such. Plus my husband is very ADD and he would make me crazy with it when I wanted to sleep and he got caught up in some horrible movie with rubber aliens or something

- Maura

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:25 am

No TV for me in the bedroom.

Yet, again if I am home alone, I don't turn the TV on. In the winter time I can go weeks without turning it on. Hubby and kids do like it and watch it when they are here.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:26 am

Have NEVER had a TV in the bedroom and don't ever plan to unless I were confined to bed for days. I don't read in bed either.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:37 am

When I started using XPAP, I followed the rules,"Bedroom for Sleeping", it worked best for me. I stopped falling asleep watching T.V. in the evening. Now however I don't follow the rules, I stay up too late, sleep to late, and go to bed with the T.V. timer set for one hour or more. The result is I fall asleep in the evening watching T.V. after a meal, no biggie, that works for me too.

I still function and don't get sleepy driving. Jim

One of the advantages of being retired... I don't have to do anything I don't have to do...
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:43 am

Hawthorne wrote:Have NEVER had a TV in the bedroom and don't ever plan to unless I were confined to bed for days. I don't read in bed either.
Ditto!
I don't think I could stay awake long enough in watch anything, anyway. When my head hits the pillow (after masking up), I'm "out".

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05