Hungry Cat! Advise?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wrenna

Hungry Cat! Advise?

Post by Wrenna » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:27 pm

So the past couple of nights have sucked. I haven't felt rested, and I just couldn't figure out where the leak noise was coming from or how to fix it. Well, last night I was adjusting the hose flopped over my head when I realized I had felt air. A closer examination showed little puncture marks all over the hose! No wonder I've been feeling like I couldn't breathe!

My cat has taken to biting the main hose and the mask hose when he wants attention. I hadn't realized how hard he was biting! So I figure a cuddle hose cover will help the main hose. But what about the mask hose??

jules

Post by jules » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:34 pm

For now I would consider a double layer strapping or duck tape over a layer of an old mattress pad, tube socks, or towel

Or you could feed the cat - I hear they like rodents better.

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:27 pm

Isn't there something you could paint your cpap parts with that tastes bad to cats? Like that stuff you paint kids' thumbs with to get them to quit sucking their thumbs?

I think the duct tape and and tube socks is a good idea. Do that on the main hose and the mask hose.

Good luck!
Babs

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:30 pm

Gunny sack and nearby river??

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:34 pm

QUIT STEALING MY LINES!

LOL,
Babs - President, Pacific Northwest Chapter of G.S.A.N.R. (Gunny Sack and Nearby River)

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:23 pm

My doxie took to urinating on my leg in the morning right before I left for work. He only did it twice, but that was twice too much. I was talking to my brother and he said dogs hate the smell of WD40 and to squirt a little of it on my shoes where it wouldn't stain them. End of dog doing his business on my leg and have used it on other things to discourage him.

You might try a little on you hand and then rub it on the outside of your hose. Don't overdo it or you will be smelling it all night.

Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Bitter apple spray is sold in most pet stores. Spray it on anything you don't want the cat to bite.

Brenda

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:23 am

I use bitter apple on my houseplants to keep my 3 cats from chewing them up. It works great. I re-apply about once a week and my plants are now growing. It is used for dogs also. My 3 dogs don't care about the hose. I also put most of the hose in my nightstand during the day, just in case!

Brooke

Hawthorne

Hungry cat

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:47 am

Put the machine on and blow the hose right at him/her. That might keep him/her away. It worked with my cats. Only had to do it once with only one cat (the other one was watching). They won't come near now whether it's on or off.
Another thing would be to spray the cat with water (spray bottle-I always have one handy) if you happen to see him/her near the hoses with that look in his/her eyes (or even without that look!)
If nothing works you may have to put the hose and mask in a drawer or closet when you are not using it. I used to hang my hose on a hook inside the closet door during the day time. Could do the same with the mask. With the closet door closed they couldn't get at it. Maybe the cat is chewing on it at night while the machine is on! You can't have it in a drawer at night unless you can rig up som air flow around it. Actually I would assume that cat it not wanting to come near when the machine is on.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:05 pm

Last edited by Snoredog on Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

deglorious

Post by deglorious » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:06 pm

I did the same thing to my cats, blew air on them with the hose. Now they don't come near it!

Deglorious

Wrenna

Post by Wrenna » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Blowing air on them worked with the two girl cats. One won't come near my face and the other doesn't even sleep on me anymore. However the third cat is 'my' cat who I've had for 15 years, and he's totally unphased by the the cpap stuff. He used to wake me up for attention or food by putting his nose against mine and staring. Now he rubs against the mask and hose and he bites it if I don't wake up fast enough. I just don't understand how I got designated as the official cat feeder. They never try to wake DH up to feed them and he contributed 2 out of 3 cats to the family!

Anyway, the only time the hoses are in danger are when they are on me and I'm asleep. So that kinda knocks out the water squirting or putting them away. I'll try the bitter apple, thanks for the suggestion! I had forgotten about that stuff.