About to buy cpap with data, which one would you pick?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Which cpap would you recommend for me?

M Series Pro C-Flex
10%
S8 Elite
7%
S8 Elite II
37%
Something else
47%

Total votes: 60

Wrenna

About to buy cpap with data, which one would you pick?

Post by Wrenna » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:17 am

I want a cpap that is data capable. I'm most interested in having the ability to check on the screen the next morning if there was leak problems or events. I'll probably also get software and keep track that way. I'd like exhalation relief because I find it easier to fall asleep with it on, particularly if I've waken up in the middle of the night. My doctor says that a cpap will give me much better therapy than an apap due to the constant and steady nature of my apnea.
I will be using integrated humidification as I just don't have the room to fuss with another box on my nightstand. Besides, my humidification needs are very very low.

I would really appreciate your opinions on which cpap machine to buy. Thanks!

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): cpap machine, CPAP, APAP

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:40 am

I wouldn't buy any you have listed above,

I would also get a autopap despite what your doctor says, doctors have a financial interest in seeing you return to their office to address problems, that is how they make their money.

IF they gave all patients autopaps there would be no need for them to return for routine office visits, that directly impacts their revenue.

As a result, they will make up every hair-brained excuse they can to prevent you from obtaining one.

EVERY autopap on the market is capable of running in CPAP mode, so your doctors argument is not valid.

If I was buying a new auto I would seriously look at the DeVilbiss or the Sandman,
https://www.cpap.com/productpage-bundle ... undle.html

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

sleepngo

Post by sleepngo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:51 am

Go with the M-series auto with A-flex, also ask for the new 12 volt H/H, that way you have only one cord from the power supply to the H/H to deal with. This machine has excellent exhalation relief.

Dan

Hawthorne

About to buy another machine

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:02 pm

I would certainly go for an auto with expiration relief! You then have cpap mode as well if you decide you need or want that. With an auto, you can do an "in home" sleep study anytime you want. A full sleep study may be good once in awhile (like every 5 years or even more if you are not having any problems you can't sort out with the auto) to be sure nothing else is going on. If you're getting software and a reader sometime, an auto is what you want. Three brands have been mentioned. There are several - just push hard for an auto if you can.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Hawthorne

Buying another machine

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:08 pm

By the way, I have the Remstar M Series Auto with A-Flex. I love it! I can have cpap or auto. I can have C-Flex expiration relief in straight cpap mode or in auto and I have C-Flex and A-Flex in the auto mode! All those opitons in one machine. The 2 that Snoredog mentioned also look good to me. I have looking at them for future reference!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:31 pm

Snoredog wrote:If I was buying a new auto I would seriously look at the DeVilbiss or the Sandman,
https://www.cpap.com/productpage-bundle ... undle.html
That Sandman does look pretty good. I also agree about the other points esp. Aflex. Relief is important.

Would my vote even count for anything? ha

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:45 pm

Wrenna wrote: ... I'm most interested in having the ability to check on the screen the next morning if there was leak problems or events. ...
Then the one you want is the Resmed S8 II Elite w/o question. There's not an xPAP on the market to compare w/the ease and amount of data available via the LCD screen as the Resmeds. The S8 Elte would be an excellent second choice but that new S8 II EasyBreathe technology is GREAT!
Wrenna wrote: ... I'd like exhalation relief because I find it easier to fall asleep with it on, particularly if I've waken up in the middle of the night.
Both the Resmed S8 Elite and the Resmed S8 Elite II have EPR (Resmed's propriatary name for expiration pressure relief).
Wrenna wrote: ... I will be using integrated humidification as I just don't have the room to fuss with another box on my nightstand. ...
Again, the Resmed's have it hands down all over the Respironics M Series which has a reputation for a VERY POORLY designed integrated humidifier. The Resmed Humidiaire 3i integrated humidifer is easier to dismantle from the xPAP, the tank is easier to remove for filling or cleaning and there is no need for the extra power brick, cord, etc. than the Respironics M Series integrated humidifier.
Wrenna wrote: ... I'll probably also get software and keep track that way. ...
The Resmed ResScan software is available w/little searching online.
Wrenna wrote: ... My doctor says that a cpap will give me much better therapy than an apap due to the constant and steady nature of my apnea. ...
And he may well be right. BUT, as others have stated above, an autoPAP can be set to straight CPAP mode, PLUS has the advantage of being easier for you to "titrate" any pressure adjustment you might need W/O the need for another inlab titration study except under unusual circumstances.

But since your doctor is obviously not inclined to order an autoPAP specifically for you, let the matter rest and don't bother trying to cajole him into ordering one. Save your energy and "smarts" for dealing w/the local DME supplier. You "can" get an autoPAP w/a CPAP script. It might take some diplomacy and tact along w/decided firmness on your part but you can often get an auto from a DME supplier when you can't budge your doctor on his refusal to explicitly order an auto.

Call your insurance company NOW and ask what local DME CPAP suppliers they are contracted with. Hopefully, you will have the option of more than one. Having the option of more than one gives you some bargaining and negotiating leverage.

The DeVilBiss IntelliINFOand IntellAuto are intriguing and attractive NEW devices on the market. HOWEVER, there is only the PROMISE of software due out sometime this summer and NO indications of just what data will be available much less what data will be available via an LCD screen.

The Sandman also is an intriguing NEW xPAP. One problem is that these are "off brand" products for MOST local DME suppliers. Resmed and Respironics have some 80% of the CPAP market and few local DME suppliers are likely to carry either the Sandman or the IntelliInfo or IntelliAuto. And they may not be willing to special order them for you as they usually get a bulk price from the manufacturers.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

ww

Post by ww » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:56 pm

Your Doctor is advising you in error. You should hold out for an APAP as all will operate in CPAP mode same as any CPAP, but will allow you to compact 2 weeks of juggling pressures into one night so you can see what is going on quickly. Don't settle for a CPAP.

There are many good APAP's and I have a Resp M Series APAP, but would probably get the Puritan 510E or Sandman if I had it to do over again, and I may anyways as a back up machine. All the APAPs handle the auto mode a little different with different rules, but it seems the two listed above give you a little more choice, particularly in how high they will go in pressure to eliminate Apneas.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP, auto, APAP

Wulfman

Re: About to buy cpap with data, which one would you pick?

Post by Wulfman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:55 pm

Wrenna wrote:I want a cpap that is data capable. I'm most interested in having the ability to check on the screen the next morning if there was leak problems or events. I'll probably also get software and keep track that way. I'd like exhalation relief because I find it easier to fall asleep with it on, particularly if I've waken up in the middle of the night. My doctor says that a cpap will give me much better therapy than an apap due to the constant and steady nature of my apnea.
I will be using integrated humidification as I just don't have the room to fuss with another box on my nightstand. Besides, my humidification needs are very very low.

I would really appreciate your opinions on which cpap machine to buy. Thanks!
For most people, your doctor is correct. However, when "properly configured', an APAP/Auto can do the same. A wide range of pressures is NOT the best therapy and that may be what your doctor is only aware of. By the time the person gets the APAP configured to a tighter range of pressures, they might just as well settle for one of them (CPAP mode).

If money is not particularly an "object", then getting an Auto is a good move. You can always try out various options to see what works best. The DME should NOT charge you or your insurance any additional $$$ for an Auto as they use the same insurance code as the cheapest CPAP.
On the other hand, a machine like the M Series Pro would provide excellent therapy and the data capabilities to monitor your therapy. (I suggest getting the software and card reader, too.)

I started out with my Pro 2 and although I own several APAPs, I've only used one of them in Auto mode long enough to find out that the range of pressures did NOT give me better therapy (events occur before the machine is able to respond to them) and the changing pressures disturbed my sleep.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:12 pm

33% for the Resmad Elite II? How many times did Slinky vote??????

I still vote for the Resprionics "M" Auto with A-Flex and I am still stuck with the "M" Auto with C-Flex. If I live long enough I will own a A-Flex model.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Nope, I haven't Jerry. But now that you mention it ..... don't tempt me!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

carbonman

Re:

Post by carbonman » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:10 pm

Slinky wrote:Then the one you want is the Resmed S8 II Elite w/o question.
6PtStar wrote: How many times did Slinky vote??????
I still vote for the Resprionics "M" Auto with A-Flex Jerry

.........d@mn, where are those decals??
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm with Slinky all the the way..I've looked seriously at a lot of the available products prior to buying and have settled with the Resmed. I have both an auto and the s8 elite. Either way, you won't be disappointed. I tend to agree with your wanting an integrated...although I can appreciate the need for a stand alone like the HC150 which is highly touted around here. It sure does produce a lot of humidity if you need it.

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:36 pm

My mother and I both just got the Remstar M Series Auto with A-Flex. Because it has pressure adjustment on both inhale and exhale it feels pretty much just like normal breathing when you go to bed! We are happy with them and now "compliant" when we couldn't hack the "straight" cpap. We do have the flexibility of different modes, including straight (pressure), C-Flex (exhale relief), or A-Flex (inhale and exhale relief). Admittedly, some ResMed units have some superior design features, however I don't think enough to be a factor in your decision. The A-Flex feels like normal breathing to me, so I guess the Resperonics "algorithm" works for me!

Some ResMed units have some similar features and it is reported that the ResMeds may show more data on the machine LCD, however I seem to have a lot of data on mine and I like to import the data to my computer to view graphs that easily show how your night went anyway.

Good luck with your choice!
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:37 pm

I vote for a S8 II Autoset.