Cannot adjust titration settings.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CMF

Cannot adjust titration settings.

Post by CMF » Tue May 27, 2008 5:18 pm

The DME provider set the tritration for my CPAP machine and told me I can not adjust it and that I need to take it back to them if I ever need to adjust the setting. I have no intention on monkeying with the setting, but I want to know if this is true. Is it? I've glean for skimming the board that others tinker with the pressure settings.

Charles

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:31 pm

I can and do change the settings on my machine. Here's where to look for the instructions for your machine;

http://www.apneaboard.com/CPAP%20Adjustment.htm

Brenda

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Tue May 27, 2008 7:06 pm

Some people do adjust their CPAP, but adjusting it is not something to do unless you know what you are doing. Too much pressure is as bad as not enough pressure because it can induce central apnea.

Do not mess with your CPAP pressure unless you have a data capable CPAP and know what you are doing.

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Tue May 27, 2008 8:10 pm

Can not and should not are two different things.

Cannot is a lie. Should not is the DMEs recommendation.

You may do whatever you want with your machine and your health.

I do agree that data is good to have if you want to adjust and one do it carefully, small increments at a time for a decent period and collect data.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed May 28, 2008 6:50 am

Ahh, when will people, especially DME suppliers, learn that CAN NOT is a challenge or a dare to so many of us!!!

Should not is no where near as much of a challenge or dare.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

BarryKaraoke

Re: Cannot adjust titration settings.

Post by BarryKaraoke » Wed May 28, 2008 7:10 am

CMF wrote:I can not adjust it and that I need to take it back to them if I ever need to adjust the setting. I have no intention on monkeying with the setting, but I want to know if this is true. Is it?
I have been slowly tweaking my pressure and as a result have reduced my AI from over 4 to practically zero. True the clinicians menu is hidden, but it's not difficult to get into, nor is it illegal.

bap40

Post by bap40 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:41 am

I have also tweaked my machine but also with the data supplied on the data card. I found after using it in auto, my pressures were way off from my sleep study. So, yes, I have and will change my settings as warrented by my collected info on my card.

Brooke

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Wed May 28, 2008 7:54 am

CMF,

I don't advocate newbies changing thier settings (aleast not with out talking to the doctor first). Here in the begining, most of your problems will be related to "getting use to" the therapy. Changing the settings (other than your comfort settings) may do more harm than good.

Yes, now I am tweaking my own therapy, but I'm use to the therapy and have a good idea what I'm doing - one thing to remember is to make changes slowly, only make one change at a time (don't change the pressure and the mask at the same time) and always give the change a week before you do anything else. If you feel worse, your probably went the wrong way. As Beared One pointed out, a fully data capable machine is the best tool for tweaking.

Good Luck.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed May 28, 2008 8:53 am

CMF, just because now you have the info so you CAN change your settings - be patient. Don't. Not just yet. Read, read, READ the info here, especially under the Yellow LightBulb at the top of this page, and the Red Ball w/the Question Mark in it. Make sure you have a good basic understanding of the possible problems and have tried the various "fixes" for them BEFORE you dive into making any changes and then do as Pineapple suggested:
Pineapple wrote: ... make changes slowly, only make one change at a time (don't change the pressure and the mask at the same time) and always give the change a week before you do anything else. ...

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

CMF

Post by CMF » Wed May 28, 2008 9:21 am

Like I wrote in my OP, I have no intention of monkeying with the settings.

Thanks,
Charles

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed May 28, 2008 9:59 am

Yeah, well, the road to h*ll is paved w/good intentions. I'd be willing to bet that sooner or later .... the temptation will just be too great! Or you're a better man than I.

I didn't fool w/mine much, just enough to prove that I COULD and WOULD if my therapy wasn't going so well as it should.

What can I say?

CMF

Post by CMF » Wed May 28, 2008 10:02 am

Well, I may be more tempted to tinker with it after I swap it out for a full data recorder machine [the DME provider did not have on in stock last Friday when I picked this one up]. I would be flying blind otherwise.

Charles

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed May 28, 2008 10:11 am

You're gonna fit in just fine here, CMF. Inquisitive minds always do. Patience, determination, a sense of humor, they are all needed as we adjust to CPAP therapy.

There's always a few lucky ones that take to CPAP like a duck to water and experience that miracle of overnight and continued success from the get go.

And then there's the rest of us who encounter a few problems and experience a steady improvement w/a few lumps and spills along the way.

May your way to successful CPAP therapy and restful, restorative sleep by a short, easy trip for you. Meanwhile - enjoy the forum!

travismcgee

Post by travismcgee » Wed May 28, 2008 3:12 pm

In answer to your question, as others have pointed out, yes you can change the settings if you know how. Knowing when to change them takes a little more know how.

When I received my APAP the DME had the pressure range set between 4-20cm. I thought that was nuts because I was titrated at 12. I immediately did some research and discovered the "magic sequence of button pressing" to enter the set-up screen and changed the settings to between 8 and 13cm. After a few weeks at that setting and looking at my daily stats I now have my auto dialed into a range between 9-12cm with an average AHI of 1.0.

CMF it sounds like you are approaching your therapy in a very positive way, good for you.

Cheers

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

Douglas Adams

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:06 pm

CMF wrote:Well, I may be more tempted to tinker with it after I swap it out for a full data recorder machine [the DME provider did not have on in stock last Friday when I picked this one up]. I would be flying blind otherwise
Just don't let your DME "conveniently forget" to swap out your current machine. Many of them pull the "not in stock" ruse to get you to accept a lesser machine.