Does Vinegar Really Disinfect?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
OldLincoln

Does Vinegar Really Disinfect?

Post by OldLincoln » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:00 pm

I just read an article stating that Vinegar does not disinfect xPAP equipment at this site: http://www.awakeinphilly.org/Equipment/cleaning.shtml So I googled it and found a general disagreement about vinegar's disinfecting ability in general with some who say it does also state they add bleach (kitchens!).

The same first article also said he uses Control III Germicidal Solution by Maril Products. I see you can get it at Cpap.com https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Contro ... eaner.html

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I received the distinct understanding vinegar does disinfect equipment from the forum. Does anybody use this now and if so how do you like it?
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

Wulfman

Re: Does Vinegar Really Disinfect?

Post by Wulfman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:14 pm

It was never my understanding that it was to be used as a disinfectant. Since vinegar is acidic, it should have the cleaning effect of removing residues and scale in masks and humidifier tanks, but not to disinfect those items.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:30 pm

Organisms like a set PH range, vinegar is acidic, so some organisms won't grow well in it. Bleach has been said to kill mold, it doesn't, but vinegar does. Vinegar also reduces smell, maybe by replacement.

If you are worried about Disinfecting, i'd count on stronger methods, but for every day germs, the mask shouldn't be the problem, we are putting it on our face, no way to disinfect it down deep, or inside out mouth and nasal areas. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

markinOz

Post by markinOz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:26 am

I use vinegar to clean the scale out of the bottom of my humidifier. I just soaked it for a while and than used detergent to clean and fresh water to rinse. I don't believe it has been disinfected as such, but certainly clean enough for me.

BlueMax

Post by BlueMax » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:28 am

At three weeks strong using my CPAP, I have not yet had the "pleasure" of rinsing/washing my water tank with the mfr's recommended mixture of vinegar and water. For those that have, do you feel like you're eating salad when you sleep?

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:53 am

I have never encountered a vinegar smell after using vinegar to clean my CPAP stuff; it rinses off completely. If you do notice a vinegar odor, use a baking soda solution to remove any residual vinegar.

ractar28

Post by ractar28 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:54 am

OldLincoln wrote:they add bleach (kitchens!).
Are you concerned about using bleach? The amount of bleach needed is TINY. It's like a cap full per gallon or water or something like that. The item should be one allowed to "air dry" and should be submerged in the sanitize solution for 15 or 60 seconds (sorry, it's been a while since I did "food safety" class).

Most "hand washed" dishes in restaurants are sanitized this way. Of course, if they have a dish washing machine, they use either hot (HOT) air or chemicals.

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:08 am

In all the years I have been on Cpap, I have not used anything BUT vinegar to clean and disinfect my equipment. I have never had any scale, mold, or anything else and I have never had any infection or colds in this time. And I have a very compromised immune system...in fact I am on disability because of it. Vinegar is all one needs to clean their cpap with. This gets debated every so often and I guess it always will. But I do know that if you use just vinegar and water, it will extend the life of your mask, humidifier, and hose way beyond manufacturer specs, of course this is assuming the water is distilled. Vinegar actually will rehabilitate rubber that has gone stiff. I used it in furniture and mattress manufacturing before I retired for this purpose.
TripGuy

JayC

Post by JayC » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:01 am

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/m ... e00100.htm

Here is a breadcrumb of sorts...mentioning vinegar solution disinfecting of nebulizers for CF patients..... I'll keeping looking for the study details....

J