O.T: ANYONE SLEEP BETTER ON A TEMPURPEDIC??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jomac30

O.T: ANYONE SLEEP BETTER ON A TEMPURPEDIC??

Post by jomac30 » Sat May 03, 2008 3:29 pm

I keep getting brochures from them about 90 nights free trial. I was wondering if this bed really helps anyone sleep better. It says it reduces pains. Not sure if I should try it. I'll so anything for a good night's sleep. To make it more complicated, I guess they have 5 or 6 different models.
Started: 1/25/07 Pressure: 13
Masks: Comfortselect, Comfortgel, Comfortlite 2, UMFF, Optilife

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sat May 03, 2008 3:40 pm

My daughter just got a brochure in the mail.. be prepared. over $5000 and several hundred in shipping.
Brooke

pjwalman

Post by pjwalman » Sat May 03, 2008 3:41 pm

Wonder how you got on the list to get the brochure for the free trial. Man, I would *jump* at a trial. Seems like we're buying a new mattress every couple years 'cause we make divets in them eventually , and even the last one, which is supposedly guaranteed for 10 years, already has a huge ridge in the middle after only a year. Poor little blind doggie that sleeps with us a night tries to start in the middle and instantly rolls to one side of other other.

Anyway, we've been toying with the idea of a TempurPedic also, but that is a huge amount of money to put into a bed that may break down just like the rest, so I would love to have a 90-day trial if one were offered to me. I suppose they want their money upfront, though. There's the hitch.

So I will be watching this thread with great interest to see how people feel about their TempurPedics and if they are worth the mucho dinero. 'Cause with all the sleep problems and the increasing aches and pains as we get older, I'm beginning to wonder if it might not actually be a worthwhile investment.

Thanks for starting this thread, jomac30!!! I'm hugely interested to see what people have to say!!

Peggy

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sat May 03, 2008 3:45 pm

Is it possable to flip the mattress???
Brooke

jomac30

Post by jomac30 » Sat May 03, 2008 3:52 pm

I think anyone can get the free trial just by calling them. They're anxious to make a sale and of course they're hoping you won't send it back after the 90 days.
It's tempting!!
Started: 1/25/07 Pressure: 13
Masks: Comfortselect, Comfortgel, Comfortlite 2, UMFF, Optilife

pjwalman

Post by pjwalman » Sat May 03, 2008 3:56 pm

I don't think it's possible to flip the mattress. When we were looking at them at a local store, we asked about that, and the guy said most mattresses these days are not meant to be flipped, that the studies showed people weren't bothering with that anyway, so...blah blah blah. It was news to me. We've always been religious about flipping the danged things and still get the divets in them.

Peggy

kteague

Tempur-Pedic

Post by kteague » Sat May 03, 2008 4:10 pm

I have the Tempur-Pedic topper, and not a very thick one at that (maybe 1.5 in). My back, hip, and shoulder pain made me miserable at night. Within days after adding the topper, my nighttime pains were remarkably improved. Didn't fix my bum knee, but my shoulder no longer gets frozen or need to be pried to move it, and I don't have to struggle to turn over from lower back pain. My pain is from osteoarthritis. Guess it would depend on why one is uncomfortable if it would be good for them.

Kathy

racefan

Post by racefan » Sat May 03, 2008 5:12 pm

My sister in law & brother in law have one & they LOVE it. He has had 2 back surgery's & said it really helps with his back.

roster

Post by roster » Sat May 03, 2008 5:20 pm

I have to buy a new mattress because my wife is giving mine to my graduate son for his new apartment. We did a little bit of research including reading Consumer Reports. They claim mattress preference is so individualized that you cannot tell which mattress you will like until you sleep on the mattress for a few nights. They also claim for any one individual, more expensive is not necessarily more comfortable.

Here is a short thread about mattresses: viewtopic.php?t=29303&view=previous&sid ... 77ef7fbbe3.

Bookmark this thread and let us know how things are after you sleep on your mattress for a few nights.

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Sat May 03, 2008 5:51 pm

We've had our tempurpedic for about 4 years--the most amazing comfort my wife and I have ever slept on. Love it! It cannot be flipped over--it has a 2" thick cushion piece on top of the regular firm memory foam, and that piece is not removable, so it could not be switched to the other side. We paid around $3500 for ours, a queen size Celebrity (they have quite a few versions/models). Just go to their website to inquire about the free trial. Oh yes, we had to purchase new sheets, "deep pocket" type, since the matress is so much thicker than regular matresses.
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

tnmom

Post by tnmom » Sat May 03, 2008 6:40 pm

my parents have a tempurpedic and love it... hubs and I have a select comfort, and I am now a select comfort devotee...

Hawthorne

Tempurpedic mattress

Post by Hawthorne » Sat May 03, 2008 6:43 pm

I had one on a 3 month trial. I returned it. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and thought it would be great for me with all the hype about it. It was terrible. I kept if for about 5 weeks but each night was worse than the last!!
I got a Sterns and Foster and love it!
Mattresses are so individual that a good length trial is what you should look for.
Theay are like cpap masks!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

plantgram

Tempurpedic mattress

Post by plantgram » Sat May 03, 2008 7:35 pm

Bought one six months ago when diagnosed. Love it!! The prices are set and many stores carry them so you can see, lie down, etc. Due to GERD we also got the adjustable frame--queen size, classic. It was $3300 including the frame. My doc worte a script for it, so I did not have to pay sales tax. I know that it has helped with my thrashing around during the night. My husband loves it too. And--no, you do not turn the mattress. It has a 20 year warrenty. My son has had his for 10 years and it is still great...no problems.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat May 03, 2008 9:29 pm

About three years agoI bought a Tempur-Pedic Delux Full size, extra long, adjustable ... $3,500.

I absolutely LOVED it during the first several months. Gradually, I began to notice lower back pain after I got up in the mornings...first time ever.

Over the next year, the morning back pain took longer and longer to subside after I got up.

I didn't want to think it was that fabulous (and expensive!) mattress, but I finally had to accept that it was not for me. Darn it, it felt sooooo comfortable each night when I first laid down on it. However, during the nights I'd find myself waking up with lower back pain and squirming over to the very edge where it was a little firmer.

Early this year when I spent a week at a resort that had extremely firm (hard!) mattresses, I slept great and woke up to no back pain at all in the mornings. Back home, the pain was immediate again each morning after sleeping on the Tempur-Pedic.

I did eventually flip it (major production..that much foam is HEAVY) over to the "wrong side" which is a tad firmer because of an almost canvas-like material on the underside. That made it better for me, but still not firm enough to completely prevent the morning back pain.

Soooo... I recently removed the foam mattress completely. For the past several months I've been sleeping on the Tempur-Pedic's rock hard BASE, with a 4 inch memory foam topper. That works great for me.
rooster wrote:Consumer Reports. They claim mattress preference is so individualized that you cannot tell which mattress you will like until you sleep on the mattress for a few nights.
Amen, amen!! Might even take a few MONTHS!

At the same time I got my Tempur-Pedic bed, we got the same model for my father who was bedridden following a massive stroke. He had been getting bed sores despite family members and caregivers turning him regularly and often. Immediately after getting him a Tempur-Pedic bed, the bed sores healed and never came back. That mattress was a miracle for him.

Sure wish it worked for me 'cause it's such a comfortable mattress...no feeling of pressure anywhere. Glad it works beautifully for so many others.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sat May 03, 2008 10:35 pm

You can go to Costco and get a 5 inch tempurpedic topper to place on top of your matress ---try that first (100 bucks or so) before you buy the whole bed!! I bought one and I LOVE it!!! It is like sleeping on a cloud at night. I have bursitis in my hip and sleep only on my sides---so the topper works really well on the bed and you don't need special sheets.

Hope this helps,
Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14