Apria

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rock and roll

Apria

Post by rock and roll » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:54 am

For years I have heard horror stories about Apria and when my insurance went to them exclusively, I was very disappointed. However, as I needed a new machine and mask and my insurance agreed it was time for replacement, I contacted Apria and found them to be very easy to work with. My doctor wanted me to either go for another sleep study or get a BiPap auto and I wanted a good machine so I got my doctor to give me a very straight forward RX that stated what I wanted. After research I decided I wanted a Type M BiPap auto with c flex and software. Rested Gal helped me with what settings I wanted in it and for the last week that I have had it, I have been very happy with it. I got a Swift LT to try along with it and I am liking it more each night. I had the machine two weeks after starting the process with Apria and they mailed it right to my home all set up and ready. I don't see how it could have gone any better and they not once tried to go cheap on me.
TripGuy

Slinky

Re: Apria

Post by Slinky » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks for the post, Rock And Roll. We do have to give credit where credit is due and some Apria offices have offered good products and service.

So, you appear to be of an age that appreciates Rock N Roll that still has some Roll in it, before The Beatles upped the decibels by 200%. Like the late 50's?? Elvis, Roy Orbison, Fats Domino, Bobby Helms, Connie Francis, The Platters, etc.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:10 pm

I do like some of the early rock and roll but I have to admit, I am a rock blues fan, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc. Hard to believe when I see the glare off my scalp and the grey of my beard but I used to have hair like Wolfman Jack and wore striped bell bottoms and played eight tracks in my car
TripGuy

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:29 pm

rock and roll wrote:I am a rock blues fan, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc. Hard to believe when I see the glare off my scalp and the grey of my beard but I used to have hair like Wolfman Jack and wore striped bell bottoms and played eight tracks in my car

....yea, Janis, SRV, Eric, Jimi.......still listen to all of it.

My parents never really figured out what was happening when
the records on the Hi-Fi changed from Jan & Dean to
Are you Experienced??
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:39 pm

R&R writes...I contacted Apria and found them to be very easy to work with.

I've mentioned a few times hereabouts that my personal experience with Apria (Sacramento) has been excellent. They have given great service, excellent advice, and I have no issues at all.

This said, I'm sure that the experiences that others present in this forum are valid.

But giving due credit, at least some Apria locations are pretty darned good.

Regards all - - Capt M

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:11 am

I really like my Apria! A couple times a year there shipping department screws up and sends SOMETHING medical related to me without charging me! I just donate it to the medical lending library. Damn there are some stupid people at Apria!

http://www.cas1.org/

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:39 am

rock and roll wrote:For years I have heard horror stories about Apria and when my insurance went to them exclusively, I was very disappointed. [snip] I don't see how it could have gone any better and they not once tried to go cheap on me.
I'm sure there are Apria locations which are less than useful. I will say that the respiratory therapist at the New Orleans location knows her stuff. I was still reeling from the shock of an apnea diagnosis when I was just beginning to get back to normal (I thought) after cancer surgery. I had not yet learned enough to know that all the centrals I threw during my titration meant I had complex apnea instead of obstructive apnea, but the RT did, and recommended to my doctor that I have the Bipap Auto SV.

I'll acknowledge that the delivery times on things like mask parts aren't impressive, and they're being remarkably balky on things like a back-up mask, but I'm otherwise pleased with the fact that I got the right machine for my situation the first time around, instead of having to leap through hoops the way so many other people have.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:36 am

I have had both good and bad experiences with Apria. I am starting to believe that it is mostly my insurance(s) and my experience with dealing with them also plays a factor.

My first experience was a nightmare. Wanted an Auto, insurance didn't want to pay for one (even though the reimbursement code is the same..... ) I had to work very hard with multiple phone calls and arguements to get what I wanted. Then the machine was set up wrongly.....

This time (with new insurance), I called them up and toldl them what I had a prescription for and what I wanted (shipped to the door as I was not a newbie, I wanted no RT visit just the M series Auto with A-Flex)... And they did just that in a matter of days. My insuarance covered all of it. Of course they didn't ask what cflex setting I wanted and a few other things, but that was easily rectified when the machine arrived. They still refused to provide the provider manual but a certain person here on the forum generously emailed me the file.

Also the invoice that was sent to my insurance was telling. In the $500 range for the machine. Far from the price they charged my previous insurance co.

The one thing that did irritate me on the second experience was at the beginning when I asked for a new machine, they kept asking, how old is your machine, is it still under warrenty? I kept telling them it doesn't matter. I have a preseciption for a new machine, I have a new insurance here is the card number, I want a machine, can you provide it with insurancd coverage? The old machine is not part of this discussion why do you care about my old machine? After a couple of times with me saying this they dropped the inquiries on my old machine.

This was the exact same Apria office I had dealt with before. So I conclude that it is not just Apria, but a host of factors that determine how you are treated.

boston

Post by boston » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:57 am

maybe we should start a new thread with locations of GOOD DME offices.

Billy6

Post by Billy6 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:40 am

Unfortunately I also used Apria, because thats where my doctor sent my prescription. When I picked the contraption up, they charged me for the nasal mask that I didnt take. I bought the FF mask that day when I looked at the prescription.
They never issued me a credit for the nasal mask. Then, about 15 days later I got a $40 invoice for the headgear piece for the FF mask, and they still refused to issue the credit for the nasal mask. It was clear to me they were a bunch of bandits, so I went online to the auction site and got my supplies there at 1/3 what the charletons at Apria were going to hose me for, and returned their rental. Then, they tried to refuse the return of the rental because they hadn't received a note from the doctor. I told them, in no uncertain terms where they could shove the note from the doctor. IMO, you'd be nuts to work with them, unless your insurance paid it all and their thievery didnt matter

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:01 am

I also had a good experience with Apria (MIlwaukee). They were very cooperative. My first CPAP was too noisey and they exchanged it for a quieter one. The prices they charge are higher than buying on the internet, but they give you personal service. Also...if insurance/Medicare is involved, they do not get paid what you see on their invoice.

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:13 am

I think it's all over the map. A local to me cpaptalk member had such a horror story with Apria in Federal Way, WA that she is STILL on collections over that nightmare, a year or more later. She's so traumatized by the whole situation, I've never seen her post on this board. She just lurks and tentatively PM's me.

Another local to me cpaptalker has raved about Apria in Puyallup. Until her visit last week. When the woman who waited on her was so persistently rude she asked to speak to the manager to complain about her.

This employee actually followed the patient out to the parking lot to continue the nasty conversation and said "Your insurance will pay for you to go somewhere else. Why don't you just go somewhere else?"

Can you imagine?

And yet, my friend tells me there are some really great staff there, and as long as she doesn't have to deal with this one employee again, she'll go back.

Not me. I had one bad experience with a non-Apria brick & mortar DME and I'm scared to death to go that route again. I'd rather pay 80% out of my own pocket in order to shop at https://www.cpap.com, than risk the billing fraud, respiratory ignorance and nasty attitude that I experienced at the brick & mortar.

Good luck all!!!!
Babs

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:47 pm

Hi There---I have to get my 2 cents in here. I also had a good experience with Apria (Arizona)---not one problem!!! I have Cigna insurance and they work with only Apria. I have a special APRIA-Cigna number to call when I need filters, new mask, etc. then ask me what I need and no questions asked. It gets sent to me within a week--sometimes less. They are VERY easy to work with, always are very friendly and nice on the phone, I can't find one bad thing to say about them--there are GREAT!! I am keeping the same insurance next year so that I may enjoy another year with them--I have no deductibles eitther--so all this is at no cost to me. They are GREAT!!! WAHHOOO!
Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

SnoozeButton

Post by SnoozeButton » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:49 pm

I was going to use Apria as my DME until I found out (by speaking to their RT) that all they would offer me was a used Respironics M Series DS100 and that it would be a rental that would never become mine. They said that after the rental period the fee that my insurance had paid for rental would then go toward maintenance and continue on maintenance. After hearing that I canceled my appointment with them and found another DME. Still not thrilled with this other DME, but I feel that I am fairing better with them than if I had gone with Apria.