Love your CPAP so much that your afraid to sleep without it?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Fredman

Love your CPAP so much that your afraid to sleep without it?

Post by Fredman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:43 pm

I have been using CPAP for 2 1/2 years. I feel so much better now that faced without using it to sleep with, I become a bit panicked.

My ear drum burst once due to an ear infection (which really I had no idea, it wasn't painful. Just a bit plugged), upshot - doc said to NOT use my CPAP until the eardrum healed.

I hated sleeping without...all the old symptoms came back...headaches, grogginess, crumpy etc.

Anyways, I think most of you feel the same way...at least the folks that have their therapies and machines tweaked to work well for them.

Curious to hear your thoughts!

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:57 pm

I've only been on my machine since the beginning of Feb and although I am still in the process of tweaking things to get it all fine tuned and still have "bad number" nights. I would never consider going to bed without it. I have been 100% compliant right from the get go and would never go back to sleeping without it.
Brooke

jerryinpa

Post by jerryinpa » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:59 pm

I'm 77 days into this and I don't know about the word "Love" and I don't know about the word "afraid", but I have absolutely NO desire to sleep without it!

It took me all of a couple days to stop looking at it with some sort of concern or reservations and to start looking at it like Linus (of Charlie Brown cartoon) looks at his "security blanket".

Shucks, maybe I do "love" it?

Jerry.

Babs

Post by Babs » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:05 pm

I would never sleep with out mine. I have had my machine for 1 1/2 years now and I have never missed using it one night. I still remember how bad I felt before I got it and do not want to go back.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:10 pm

As with others, I do not love my CPAP nor am I afraid to sleep without it. I been on CPAP for over 13 years and do not sleep without it; I have also made significant efforts to have backup equipment and backup power.

MrRandom

Post by MrRandom » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:18 pm

I've only used mine for a few weeks, and during that time slept one night without it. That will not happen again so long as I can help it!

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Love it? No, I HATE it! Hate being tied to it. It is a lot of trouble! That being said, no I can not sleep without it. I have become very acustomed to breathing while I sleep. If I happen to fall asleep (which is not very often any more) without it I wake myself up very quickly gasping for air.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:51 pm

After being resigned to the fact that I must use my CPAP, and now that I get such excellent results, I look forward to using it each night. I really think of it as my "dream machine," I've learned to love this thing that, before we met, I'd have had no interest in even getting acquainted.

Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

Marie

Post by Marie » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:55 pm

I have been on cpap for about 4 years, and have only gone one night(Hurricane Rita:no electricity) without it. I have not made provisions for loss of electricity yet. Don't know what I'm waiting for.
I sorta kinda am afraid to sleep without it.

Marie

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:07 pm

Yep, me, too--no backup power source yet. Thinking about getting a battery backup system, just in case.

Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:32 pm

5+ years and I use it even for 1/2 hour naps.

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:54 pm

only 119 days in. before that there was no way i was going to go for that mess a...even guys can change their minds every now and then. it's a dadgum obsession now

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:05 pm

I hate using it. I used to have such lovely peaceful nights. Now I don't. But.....I'm so totally fatigued when I don't use it, that I feel forced to use it. I still don't like it though. I know that even when I think I sleep well without it, I know I don't.

dreamchick

Not sleeping without it

Post by dreamchick » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:07 pm

I have had my machine for 4 weeks now and no way am I sleeping without it.

I used to wake up with headaches every single day and all the other symptoms.

Since Cpap not one day with a headache! Even though it takes getting used to and is a pain sometimes. I would not consider sleeping without it.

Hillsborough, NJ

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:52 pm

Would I say I love my CPAP - no, I consider it a nessessity of life. Afraid to sleep without it, not really, sleep is another nessessity of life - but there is no question the sleep quality without it SUCKS.

I would not consider sleeping without my CPAP unless it was absolutly nessessary and yes I do have a backup power plan.