need mask for narrow, high, deep nasal bridge?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jerryinpa

need mask for narrow, high, deep nasal bridge?

Post by jerryinpa » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:36 am

Hi folks,

First, I'm a newbie here; first post. I've been reading everything here for months and I appreciate all the shared knowledge.

I've been sleeping with my Auto BiPap for 45 days now. Overall, I'm doing well.

I have an OPTILIFE nasal pillows system and it works well for me. I also have an ULTRA MIRAGE 2 that worked for a couple of weeks, but now I can't control the leakage into my eyes.

I need a nasal or full face mask system to give my nostrils a rest every now and then.

I think my fundamental problem is that I have a narrow, high, deep nasal bridge between my eyes. Co-incidentally, I have always had a difficult time finding eyeglass frames with a narrow enough bridge to fit me.... it's the narrowness of my upper nose.

When I plugged in my measurements into the sizing guide, cpap.com's system recommended a dozen or so mask systems. However, I'd really appreciate hearing from any of you who struggle with a narrow, high, deep, nasal bridge.

Thanks in advance,

JerryinPA

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:34 am

Jerry,

What are your pressures on your Bi-PAP?

Maybe the Ultra Mirage Full Face (UMFF) or the Quattro......properly sized and adjusted.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:46 am

I would suggest trying the Quattro. I've found that bridge of the nose area to be both narrow and very deep. Too deep for me. I've had a struggle keeping the flimsy silicone from buckling up when I put it on because of that depth.

Keep in mind that LOOSENING the top straps and/or possibly tightening the bottom straps is more effective in preventing eye leaks than too tight at the top straps. The silicone cover has to fill w/air to seal and not leak. Also, if the leak is minor, just running your fingertip gently along the seam between silicone and facial skin will often turn the silicone edge under to form a good seal.

There are Mask Fitting tips under the Red Ball w/the Question Mark at the top of the forum page that may or may not help you w/fitting a nasal or full face mask for comfort and to prevent leaks.

You may also find that using Ayr Saline Nasal Gel or equivalent will help w/the dry nasal and sinus passages from nasal pillows. Just be sure to NOT use ANY product w/petroleum gel near or in your nose!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:58 am

Slinky wrote:Keep in mind that LOOSENING the top straps and/or possibly tightening the bottom straps is more effective in preventing eye leaks than too tight at the top straps. The silicone cover has to fill w/air to seal and not leak. Also, if the leak is minor, just running your fingertip gently along the seam between silicone and facial skin will often turn the silicone edge under to form a good seal.
I'm glad to see that I have a FEW "converts" to this method after several years of preaching it.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:30 am

Hey, Den. I pay close attention to the "tips" regarding leaks that might apply to my "style" of mask and try them. If they work for me I continue to use them. That was a good tip you've given us about that. It works for me.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:46 pm

I highly recommend the Nasal Aire II. No worries about your nose bridge at all.

viewtopic/t23207/Babettes-Nasal-Aire-II-Tip-Sheet.html

Very comfortable, very limited skin contact, and surprisingly stable and leak-free.

Cheers,
Babs

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

jerryinpa

Post by jerryinpa » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:05 pm

[quote="Wulfman"]Jerry,

What are your pressures on your Bi-PAP?

Maybe the Ultra Mirage Full Face (UMFF) or the Quattro......properly sized and adjusted.

Den

It's an Auto machine and the sleep Doc says to keep it at Auto, not a set pressure.... Typically, when I wake up because the leaks are getting the best of me it is 10 to 13.

Thanks,

Jerry.