cpap use for stomach sleepers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hippity3

cpap use for stomach sleepers

Post by hippity3 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:52 pm

Does anybody have any suggestions for someone who can't get to sleep unless they sleep on their stomach? It's near impossible for a cpap wearer to sleep on their stomach as the mask, pillows, etc. gets jammed into the pillow--at least that has been my experience. Any hints, suggestions, etc. would be welcome. I've tried to get to sleep on my back and end up two or three hours later still awake and ready to destroy the machine! Sleeping on my side is not an option as my arms end up hurting really badly if I rest on them.
Thanks

jimbassett

stomach sleepers

Post by jimbassett » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:17 pm

I used to be a stomach sleeper entirely. Then I got a belly that got in the way when on my stomach so I started side sleeping and I found that hurt my arms and hips (the pressure points). Then I read about the air mattresses and elimination of pressure points. So I purchased a sleep number mattress and "VIOLA" no more pressure points. So now I am a dedicated 'slide sleeper'. I have no problem finding masks that work while sleeping on my side. I did buy a pillow from Target that helped a bunch in that regard. So it is workable if you really want it to be. Happy sleeping jim

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 pm

There are stomach sleepers on the board that swear by the Headrest mask.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:30 pm

cflame1 wrote:There are stomach sleepers on the board that swear by the Headrest mask.
Yes there are. Sleeping Face Down is not easy with a mask. I wear a F&P Flexifit 431 - here is what I have done. I got a piece of foam (pillows or whatever, it is trial & error) this is so you don't have to arch your neck plus a neck type pillow to make a big U out of.

Place my big U up top by the head board - the foam up next to it so I lay belly down on it. Get suited up - place face into U so that the U holds head away from mattress so the hose has some room to go.

No it's not easy - but that IS my story & I'm stickin to it.

Modify as required to make it work for you.

The weight of your head helps to seal the mask at high pressures, mine is 18-20. Once you get the groove in your face it seals pretty good.

If I had a headreast, yea I would try it - but I would worry about blowin my nostrils apart.

Good Luck,
GumbyCT

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

dewey.bertolini

Post by dewey.bertolini » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:28 pm

I cannot say enough good things about the Headrest (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/aeiome ... rface.html). As a dedicated stomach sleeper, I could not sleep without it.

The other thing that has made the world of difference for me is the Sleep Better Pillow (http://www.sleep-better-pillow.com). A little spendy, but worth every penny!

Marie

Post by Marie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:00 am

I have a regular facial mask, and have managed to be able to sleep in any position, back, stomach(my favorite) and sides.
And I use a regular pillow, but not a foam one. I use a pillow that is very pliable and I can "fix" the pillow in the way I need it.
I just made up my mind that I could do it.
3 1/2 years on cpap.

skits

Post by skits » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:24 pm

I switched to a regular mask (not full face) and it helped a lot when sleeping on my stomach......if I don't move. I get frustrated when I want to turn my head to the other side.....off comes the mask. That headrest looks like a good idea. I assume you can get it with a regular nasal mask, not the nasal pillows?

greenvelvetdragon

Post by greenvelvetdragon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:26 am

i got the F&P Opus 360 and can now go back to sleeping on my stomach. i have found that my triangular pillow i have been using for the last 4 years before cpap wont cut it anymore and i have just ordered one of those memory foam ones to see if that helps. tummy sleeping is still not the same as it was before the mask but pretty close. i have seen these special cpap pillows on ebay with cut out sides, but they only have them in the US and the postage to OZ is almost more than the pillow and they werent cheap. i will resort to that if i have to but trying the memory foam first.

cheers
GVD

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:01 am

skits wrote:That headrest looks like a good idea. I assume you can get it with a regular nasal mask, not the nasal pillows?
The Headrest mask comes only with nasal pillows. There's no optional nasal mask attachment for the Headrest like there is for the ComfortLite 2.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Artreyman

from a very BIG man

Post by Artreyman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:55 am

I Used to be a stomach sleeper. I am a Very BIG man...I used the Comfortfull 2 mask and after using it for a while ...I became a back sleeper. I can now sleep on my back and on my side.

I recently bought a new mask and got it about 4 days ago the Mirage Quattro full face mask...and wow...it seals everywhere it needs to seal and I have even less air leaks than I did with my CF2 mask. Was the best 75.00 investment in a mask I have ever done. I also like it cause you can replace parts on the mask and dont have to replace the entire mask as you do with the CF2 mask.

roster

Re: cpap use for stomach sleepers

Post by roster » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:34 am

hippity3 wrote:Does anybody have any suggestions for someone who can't get to sleep unless they sleep on their stomach?......the mask, pillows, etc. gets jammed into the pillow ........
Let me ask a basic questions for stomach sleepers. I will occasionally sleep on my stomach for short periods. My face is turned to the side - just like my daughter is sleeping in my avatar photo. What position is your head in? Is your face/nose turned directly down into the pillow?

Last edited by roster on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster
I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

skits

Post by skits » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:51 am

Well, we're not sleeping face down! LOL

roster

Post by roster » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:09 am

skits wrote:Well, we're not sleeping face down! LOL
If that is the case hippity3, then try sleeping with your head at the edge of a thin pillow. The very front of your face should be over the edge so the mask itself is not touching the pillow.

I sleep on my side like this. Of course it still leaves the problem of the pressure on the side straps. But then cpap therapy is a long way from perfect.

Why don't you fill out your profile? If members know your pressure, mask and machine type and other details, they may be able to give you better advice.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

mikehaze

Post by mikehaze » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:29 pm

I wonder if something like the chaise lounges they sell for the beach would work? There's a hole for your face so you can read while laying on your stomach. Target has them.

OhHelpMe

Post by OhHelpMe » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:15 pm

mikehaze wrote:I wonder if something like the chaise lounges they sell for the beach would work? There's a hole for your face so you can read while laying on your stomach. Target has them.
Good thinking Mike. http://www.target.com/p/ostrich-3-in-1- ... A-12902047