Big Mistake? Cleaned the hose, how do I get it dry inside?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
newhosehead

Big Mistake? Cleaned the hose, how do I get it dry inside?

Post by newhosehead » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:06 pm

Oh, I think I am a pesky newbie. I did the "as instructed" cleaning of the hose this am and hung it over the shower rod. Now here is it evening and I see many many many droplets of water inside. Do I just use it as is? I am a teacher and am always saying there are no stupid questions, but I am beginning to wonder as I ask this one. Thanks!
Equipment: PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP
Pressure Settings: 12 cwp
Mask: Full Face Mirage Quattro

Muse-Inc

Re: Big Mistake? Cleaned the hose, how do I get it dry inside?

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:09 pm

Drying the hose is a challenge! I have 2 hoses. I used to run my CPAP with the hose and mask attached to dry it out. Might try tieing a string with a wt to something you can pull thru the hose to dry it (couple of hankies?). Now that I have 2 machines, I use my backup CPAP for drying.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:25 pm

newhosehead wrote:I did the "as instructed" cleaning of the hose this am and hung it over the shower rod. Now here is it evening and I see many many many droplets of water inside. Do I just use it as is? Thanks!
Did your DME give you the instructions to clean the hose but not give the drying instructions........just toss it in the dryer a few minutes and all will be well.........NOT REALLY, just kidding!!!!......attach hose to your machine and let it blow out the water droplets!!! Muse's suggestion of two hoses is a good one, one for using and one for drying out!!! My hose would never dry out in a day's time in the winter.

elg5cats

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:31 pm

OK, you finally found the stupid question to ask.

Just kidding. The only stupid question is the one that isn't answered.

Now to your question that isn't stupid. If you have enough room try swinging it around a little. Start with holding it in half then hold just one end.
If that doesn't get most of it out, try a hair dryer on a low setting. If you hold the hair dryer a few inches from your hand and can't hold it there for more than ten or fifteen seconds it is set too warm. once you have the temp set cool but not too cool blow that air into the hose to finish drying it out.

I have spare hoses that I use when I am drying the one I washed. Also if you know someone who is a fisherman, ask them for a big well not so big but small enough to fit in the hose lead fishing weight. Tie some fishing line to it and have about ten feet of that line. Then tie a couple pieced of old but clean rags to the other end. Drop the weight in one end of the hose and it will come out the other. Then just pull it through the hose with the rags tied to the other end. That will dry it out good.

Gerry

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Another stupid question?? Why does the hose have to be completely dry before you use it?
I wash mine in the morning and then use it that evening even though it is not completely dry. I wipe the outside, spin the hose a little as Gerry suggested, put on the hose cover, run the blower on the machine and then it is ready to go. It does not seem to give me a problem with rain-out from the few drops remaining inside the hose.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Ms.Snuffleupagus wrote:...Why does the hose have to be completely dry before you use it?...
It's a physics thing, more moisture means less pressure, so rainout reduces the effective pressure being delivered by your machine. The short answer, rainout compromises CPAP therapy.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:43 pm

It doesn't have to be dry, we just keep thinking it does. No matter what we are afraid of water getting into our machine and forget it goes through the humidifier chamber last before it goes into the hose.

Gerry

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:43 pm

Muse-Inc wrote: It's a physics thing, more moisture means less pressure, so rainout reduces the effective pressure being delivered by your machine. The short answer, rainout compromises CPAP therapy.
Now that's interesting..didn't think of that. Thanks Muse.

newhosehead

Post by newhosehead » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Thanks to you both! And thank you for the good laugh, there was actually a moment there when I was about to head for the dryer (more tired than I thought, I guess). I have it hooked up and running now, hopefully it wont take too long. I am either going to get a second hose or not wash it again until....?
Equipment: PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP
Pressure Settings: 12 cwp
Mask: Full Face Mirage Quattro

bradleyjoe

Post by bradleyjoe » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:48 pm

If you have room hold one end your hand and grab the middle of the hose and swing it around and around over you head and then switch end and do the same the garage works will. Brad

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:52 pm

I don't think a few water drops are going to cause a pressure drop in a 6 foot hose. A fire hose only loses a few pounds of pressure over a 100 foot lenght and that is for a 1 3/4 inch hose with water in it. Air compresses much more easily that water so it would just create a slightly higher pressure around that drop of moisture and return to normal once it's past it.

Gerry

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Gerryk wrote:I don't think a few water drops are going to cause a pressure drop in a 6 foot hose. A fire hose only loses a few pounds of pressure over a 100 foot lenght and that is for a 1 3/4 inch hose with water in it. Air compresses much more easily that water so it would just create a slightly higher pressure around that drop of moisture and return to normal once it's past it.

Gerry
Sounds very logical..and you being a fireman should know! So I will keep doing what I am doing..stick with my one hose for now and not worry about the few droplets remaining after I wash my hose.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:17 pm

Water droplets in your hose aren't going to cause a problem. Unless you are on the verge of rainout, your hose will dry soon after you turn your machine on. Same thing with your mask, although you should towel dry the parts that you can easily reach.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Ms.Snuffleupagus wrote:...Why does the hose have to be completely dry before you use it?...
I wondered the same thing. It seems many of us do fine by keeping the filters clean and using distilled water. Seems to keep the inside of the hose just fine. Because of American lawyers - DME and RT's will never recommend such a simple routine.

Muse-Inc wrote:It's a physics thing, more moisture means less pressure, so rainout reduces the effective pressure being delivered by your machine. The short answer, rainout compromises CPAP therapy.
Gumby is glad to not have taken that physics course, so I have no problem with pressure drops from my moisture.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:37 pm

I clean mine on Sunday mornings then hang it over the stairs to dry. If there are still droplets in there I don't worry about it, just turn the machine on and let it blow.

Don't worry about stupid questions. I once almost had a panic attack because I accidentally turned the machine on without the humidifier chamber in. I was convinced I had broken the machine