Flonase (and related nasal steroids) may be keeping you up..

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hugh Jass

Flonase (and related nasal steroids) may be keeping you up..

Post by Hugh Jass » Fri May 06, 2005 6:44 am

A word of warning to those taking Flonase and other steroids like it, this may be keeping you up at night.

I made the connection because since on CPAP, I have been able to fall asleep within 15-30 minutes, but for some reason this week I have been having trouble falling asleep.

Last night took me two hours. I now realize that the nights I have trouble falling asleep are the nights I took the Dr. prescribed Flonase for stuffy nose.

After doing some research, it turns out insomnia is one of the known side effects.

In fact, this nose spray stuff has a very nasty list of them.

Isn't it nice that doctors give you drugs that can keep you up at night.....
Trying is the first step towards failure.

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Fri May 06, 2005 7:15 am

First of all report this to your Dr. there could be a different brand that would not cause the side effect. I've been using Rhinocort and have never associated that with insomnia. In fact I don't even have to use it most nights any longer.

I had a little known side effect to Provigil, dry mouth, and you can't even find that on the website or on the list of side effects, but my pharmacist was able to find this out.

But quite often there is something in one product that is causing the side effect which will not be in another. Please let your Dr. know.

meister

Use 2 squirts in the morning instead!

Post by meister » Fri May 06, 2005 8:49 am

Or switch to Nasonex! Also consider taking Echinacea two hours before
bed.

IWannaSleep

Post by IWannaSleep » Fri May 06, 2005 12:56 pm

I use Nasarel and the dosage is twice daily every 12 hours. Last night I was working late (to 1:30am) and forgot to take my dose earlier in the evening, so not wanting to be congested while sleeping I went ahead and took my evening dose just before bed. It took me over an hour to fall asleep.

This is more anecdotal than scientific, but you have me thinking there could be a relationship. I typically try to take it 2 hours before bed time, I think this is good incentive to try harder to stick with that schedule. I'll pay closer atttention to this possible cause and effect going forward too.
9 cm h2o

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Sat May 14, 2005 8:41 pm

Hi Hugh Jass,

I've been taking Flonase for over one month now and it really seems to help. I was always congested all the time and my xPap 90 percentile was at 12 when the doc prescribed 8. Haven't actually checked this for the past 2 weeks but when I wake up the unit does show 8. I'll check tomorrow for the full analysis of the past 2 weeks.

I am concerned about taking the Flonase for other side effects but have not found any web sites that give a lot of information. Did put Flonase in the search but just got too many hits and chose to check later. Do you have any specific sites worth looking at? Any help would be great.

Was taking 2 sprays in each nostril once a day as prescribed but have now cut back to alternating 2 sprays one day and 1 spray the next. This seems to be working for me and breathe freely almost all the time. I do take the medication in the morning - not at night.

Am most interested in the research you did and any more elaboration you can provide.

All the best.

Bob F
unclebob

Hugh Jass

Post by Hugh Jass » Mon May 16, 2005 12:46 pm

Bob,

Can't find the website concerning the possible side effect I refer to.

When I was in my teens, I used to use an inhaler for occasional breathing problems (I'm borderline asthmatic).

I stopped using it when I made the connection between taking a dose in the evening and being unable to fall asleep.

As mentionned I tried using the Flonase a couple of times and eventually made the connection between my inability to fall asleep in a reasonable amount of time and the use of the medication.

I have since learned that the drug used in Flonase and other brands are basically the same as the inhaler I was using many years ago.

Since I stopped using it, I haven't had trouble falling asleep.

After mentioning it to my wife (who was also prescribed this medication), she too has made a connection between difficulty sleeping and the nights she uses it.

Since my last post, my MD has indicated that this is a common problem, and that to avoid it, one should rinse his/her mouth out with water after taking a dose of it. (Something to do with the drug being absorbed through the mucous membrane in the mouth and upper esophagus.)

I can't be bothered to try, since congestion is not a major problem for me anyway. I find taking a dose of Rhinaris works fine. Rhinaris is a saline free lubricant.

You can check out this website for comments by other users.
http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.a ... me=FLONASE

Of course, this may be a wonder drug for some, which is why I indicated Flonase MAY be keeping you up at night...

Regards.

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Mon May 16, 2005 5:38 pm

Thanks for your post and the link.

Interesting to read some of the comments on Flonase. I also have the odd minor nose bleed and had wondered what caused it as I take other meds as well. Probably the Flonase doesn't help.

The cataract issue concerns me as I have already had one eye done about 10 yrs ago and appears soon ready for the other eye.

Did you notice of the 33 comments only 8 were from men. Not sure if this has any bearing.

Anyway thanks for the response.

Bob F
unclebob

Hugh Jass

Post by Hugh Jass » Tue May 17, 2005 7:28 am

Did you notice of the 33 comments only 8 were from men. Not sure if this has any bearing.
I'm not touching that one....

DCTom

Flonase Like Caffeine

Post by DCTom » Thu May 19, 2005 9:43 am

Flonase keeps me up like a strong cup of coffee! Actually 2-3 cups, Vente size!

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Thu May 19, 2005 10:27 am

Never noticed, but then again I take couple of benedryl at night too...

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Thu May 19, 2005 8:46 pm

Why take it at night? I understand it's a longer term maintenance spray that keeps the nasal passages open.

Bob F
unclebob

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Fri May 20, 2005 9:11 pm

unclebob wrote:Why take it at night? I understand it's a longer term maintenance spray that keeps the nasal passages open.

Bob F
I also take it in the morning, but I assume that I am staying up then because I just slept... Maybe not

women lots of sinus infections

Re: Flonase (and related nasal steroids) may be keeping you up..

Post by women lots of sinus infections » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:44 am

take your flonase during the day!
I take mine morning one spray in each nostril
and then in the afternoon-one spray in each nostril!

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:20 am

That was definitely my experience with Nasonex when I took it 5 years ago. I thought I was losing my mind when I could have sworn it was causing insomnia. But at the time, I couldn't find any information until an RN I knew verified I wasn't going crazy. I don't remember her exact explanation but I think she said something about steroids causing insomnia so it was quite possible for nasal steroid sprays to do this.

LRae

Post by LRae » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:14 pm

I am currently lying awake at 5am and just remembered I took my steroid nasal spray before bed. I've not been able to sleep all week and put it down to anxiety about upcoming exams. Came across this wee thread after making the possible connection between the spray and insomnia.

I feel a little stupid for taking it now. I'm actually a medical student about to sit my finals... And was revising today about the side effect of steroids! Basically our cortisol levels are lowest between 12-5am due to our circadian rhythm (body clock). Cortisol is our steroid hormone responsible dealing with stresses so makes sense that it is lowest at this point to help sleep. This is exactly why when prescribing steroids we write 'mane' /morning as steroids given in the evening can disrupt the normal circadian rhythm and cause insomnia.

I didn't even think of it as it was just a spray and not oral medication but I suppose it's still being absorbed into the system.

Oops! I'll remember to tell patients when prescribing nasal spray!

Leanne