I found my holy grail! I'll give away the rest.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sunnyway

I found my holy grail! I'll give away the rest.

Post by sunnyway » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:44 pm

I think I found my perfect mask, the FitLife Total Face Mask by Phillips Respironics. I've used it effortlessly (and without leaks) for three nights now.

I also like the Total Face Mask by Phillips Respironics, but I think the FitLife is even better.

The fit of the two masks is totally different. The FitLife comes in two sizes; most adults need the Large. The FitLife is like a fighter-pilot mask from below the mouth to the forehead. It wraps around the face snugly, and seals with firm silicone around the perimeter of the face. I had to stretch the mask a bit for my wide cheeks, to flatten it over my forehead, but I get a leak-free fit now. You re-seat it by pulling the mask away from the face, just like with full-face masks. The FitLife is on sale right now on CPAP.com for $144, $50 off. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... dgear.html

The Total Face Mask comes in only one size. It does not fit against the face. It's an clear oval shell, with a a soft wide clear silicone liner that creates the seal against the skin. You can stick a finger under the seal to make adjustments and to "reseat" the mask. For some reason the picture on https://www.cpap.com/productpage/total- ... onics.html shows a flesh colored liner, but it is clear. The CPAP.com price is $189.

I CAN sleep on my side with both of these masks, although some reviewers have complained that they could not. I do use a CPAP pillow with cutouts. The headgear does not have to be tightened to the point of pain, and there are no parts to rub against the top of the nose or straps cutting across the cheeks. What bliss! Leaks are quickly and easily eliminated.

Both are clear hard plastic. They are not claustrophobic because you can see through them. My glasses do NOT fit underneath, but I do put on CPAP goggles while wearing the Total Face Mask because air blows into my eyes. Dry eyes are a chronic issue for me. I do not get air blowing into my eyes with the FitLife.

The Onyix Eye Shield is opaque black. CPAP.com only offers this one, but the clear Quartz version can be found elsewhere online. I got both but prefer the clear version. The same manufacturer, EyeEco, also makes Tranquileyes for dry eyes which hold moist pads. I haven't tried it yet.
Image Image Image

I have spent hundreds of dollars during the past three months trying to find masks that I can tolerate. I'm committed to using the CPAP even if my insurance won't pay for my experimenting. I've tried nasal masks, nasal pillows, nasal tubes, hybrids and full-face masks. I discovered my mouth does leak, so I've ruled out the nose-only masks. My biggest issue with full face masks has been not headgear & mask comfort, but noisy leaks. Squeals, raspberries and face farts make me crazy! Since I have fibromyalgia. I cannot afford to be awakened from sleep. Interrupted sleep means PAIN the next day.

I have the following lightly-used masks and headgear available to give away, for just the cost of Priority Mail postage. If you have financial issues and need a "new" mask, please send me a personal message (do not post on the board) indicating which mask you prefer. (If you can't afford even the postage, please send me a request anyway.) Be sure to include your email address. I will reply by email indicating if you are the first requester. I will send the winner of each mask a PayPal invoice for the postage amount ($4.95-$10.70). When I get a notice from PayPal that payment has been made, I will ship the mask. I only can get to the post office on Saturdays, so please be patient! The headgear have been machine-washed and the masks have been disinfected.

Only one mask per person, please, but indicate your second choice in case someone has already asked for your first choice. You can see details about each of these on CPAP.com.

Respironics ComfortGel Blue Nasal Mask with headgear
InnoMed Nasal Air Prong with headgear
Resmed Mirage Swift Nasal Pillow with headgear
ResMed Quatro Pro full face with headgear
Fisher & Paykel Forma Full Face with headgear

Joe50

Re: I found my holy grail! I'll give away the rest.

Post by Joe50 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:53 pm

I could never get the total fullface that I bought to not leak. Glad it works for you.

elena88

Post by elena88 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:02 pm

that is great news! good for you! So glad to hear you have it wired now!

I could not get that fitlife mask to stop leaking at my temples, and I couldnt tape it there because all of my hair..
Im sending it back to the dme and just going to work with my nasal pillows.. which I love.

It seemed to me if the fitlife, which I called the avatar, would have been shaped in more of an oval, and gone higher on the
forehead, it would have worked much better, but Im so happy to hear it works for you!

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:04 pm

I found my mask already but just wanted to offer many thanks for your generosity.

May you have as good or better health from your therapy as I have.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:20 pm

Congratulations on finding your perfect mask. Your determination to succeed is inspiring to others.

And thank you for your generosity, I'm sure there are members here who are in need and will benefit from this.

tammyv

Post by tammyv » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Do you have any mask left

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Congratulations on finding your mask! It can be such a hard thing to do. I just PMed you about two of your masks. Although I use the Hybrid successfully, my husband is fairly new to this and having a difficult mask time! And without insurance it's tough to keep trying different ones or even buy a new one of the type he's currently using.

Often I use the Tranquil eyes with the moist foam inserts; they're very nice! And sometimes I use them without the inserts just to keep air out of my eyes.

CorgiGirl

Post by CorgiGirl » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:12 pm

I'm glad you have a great mask for you.

Just a note for people with long narrow faces who might want to try the FitLife...I don't think it will work for you. I've tried it and the Hans Rudolph which are similar. It seems to work well for people with rounder faces. I've found the FlexiFit 432 to work best for me.

I'm interested in the Quartz eye shields...where did you find them?

Thanks, Sunnyway!

CG

Machine: Respironics M series Auto with A-Flex
Humidifier: Respironics M series Heated Humidifier
Software: Encore Viewer

sunnyway

Post by sunnyway » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:45 am

I got my Quartz Eye Shield from Gold Violin http://www.goldviolin.com/ but you can go straight to the manufacturer at http://www.eyeeco.com/

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:45 am

Very generous of you to give away your unneeded masks, sunnyway!

I imagine you've already had quite a few PMs, but you may want to post the size of each mask that's still available in this thread. I'm not in need of any myself, but that may help some.

sunnyway

Post by sunnyway » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Thanks everyone, I've found takers for all of the masks.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:15 am

Inspired by sunnyway's accolades about the FitLife mask, and continuing to find effective masks that are not ResMed (ie: cushions lasting longer than a month or two, for heaven's sake!!)--I have been trying out this mask for the past few nights. I suppose I have a medium sized, sort of roundish face, and am using the Small size mask. I too was amazed that I feel no air at all blowing inside the mask, and had to put my hand in front of the vent to be sure I was connected. The mask is listed as "not for side sleepers"--but I sleep completely on my sides, and have had a straight leak line with AHI at about 2.0 every night. Not Nirvana, but close. BTW, the Small does not fit me exactly like the instructions recommend. The top of the mask is closer to my eyebrows and not in the middle of my forehead. But I think the side-fit is better because of this. Will try the Large if it's available next week, just for the fun of it.
Last edited by plr66 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Portageegal

Post by Portageegal » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:57 am

Called my DME and the girl was ...." duh???? I'll look into it and call you back." I'm still waiting.
How does it feel having your whole face covered? Last night my quattro was uncomfortable because we are having a heat wave.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:34 am

Portageegal wrote:Called my DME and the girl was ...." duh???? I'll look into it and call you back." I'm still waiting.
How does it feel having your whole face covered? Last night my quattro was uncomfortable because we are having a heat wave.
Send this link to your uninformed DME employee:

http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/ ... efault.wpd
jeff

sunnyway

Post by sunnyway » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:48 pm

I think both the FitLife and the Total Face Mask are very comfortable. They are not claustrophobic because you can see through them. They do get leaks, but I find they're easier to stop than leaks from other masks, by reseating or by sticking a finger under the seal. The FitLife leaks (quietly) over the center of my forehead, but it doesn't bother me and doesn't seem to affect the efficiency of the mask. My AHI is 2.8 with the FitLife.