CRAFTY CPAP'RS Homemade Hose Covers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
socknitster

CRAFTY CPAP'RS Homemade Hose Covers

Post by socknitster » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:27 pm

Ok, I'm looking for tips on making my own hose covers. Rainout has become my new enemy. When my pressure was higher, I could keep the humidifier cranked to 5. Now that my pressure is lower (thank you tonsilectomy!) I can't turn it above 2 without being dripped on. Arg!

I have a hose cover that I made from Minky fabric. Being super-slippery, I am able to get the minky on there even though I only made the cover 5 3/4 inches wide and sewed it up all the way. It may not be the best insulator however.

So, I decided to try fleece. I got some on sale at JoAnns and made it 7 inches wide. Had a heck of a time turning it inside out and then really couldn't get it on the hose without some real patience and time, both of which I don't have at the moment. So, I quit and decided to think about it some more.

I'm considering other designs. Maybe I won't sew the whole tube up, maybe I'll just put velcro in to close it every few inches? I think that could be scratchy if it rubbed up against you though, so I'm not sure about that idea.

I really want to super-insulate the tube, maybe with some quilt batting. BUt that would require three layers, because another layer would be needed to keep the batting secure. Then the seam would be super thick. So, the inner-most fabric would need to be slippery so the hose would slip through, but that would also be a pain to sew.

So, you can see where I'm running into difficulty. I have a fair amount of inexpensive fabric I can work with, but I'd rather forego some frustration if someone already has worked out a good design they would like to share.

I'm frustrated enough that I'm considering buying a commercial cover. Which seems ludicrous for someone as crafty as me!

I've also considered trying some bulky yarn and knitting a big tube with wool. Soft and warm, but I don't want it to be a big waste of time either.

Anyway, I'm tired of sewing up tubes that aren't working well. Anyone else come up with a great solution that I haven't thought of?

Jen

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:32 pm

You can just put a little satin bag(like jewelry comes in) or even a plastic grocery bag(you know, the ones we all have dozens of) over the end of the hose. The cover will slide right on.
If one layer of fleece isn't working, try 2 layers. I think if that doesn't do it you might need to go for the heated hose.

Brenda

azaloune

Post by azaloune » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:43 pm

ResMed makes a hose cover that has a zipper the entire 6 feet of the hose. My DME gives each new patient one. I used it under my fleece snugglehose and it was very helpful. I had to cover it with something, it is made of nylon and I am allergic to nylon.

I gave it to my husband when he started on his BiPAP. He has different insurance and has to use a different DME and they did not supply him one.

Direct Home Medical has them on their website, not sure the price. They are thicker than the fleece and are closer to the hose than the fleece could be because of the zipper.

Caution! I brake for Elves, Fairies, Gnomes, Leprechauns, Unicorns, Dragons & and other invisible creatures only I can see!

Perchancetodream

Post by Perchancetodream » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:11 pm

How about covering the minky fabric with the batting and using some of the other fabric for an outside layer. Sew up the seam and slide it on.

I'm a knitter, and thought about knitting some cheek pads if I could find a cotton yarn that would be soft enough. The thought of knitting a six foot tube would discourage me, but then I hate to knit socks. Only tried it once and gave up on all four of the needles!

Susan

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:23 pm

I like the idea of the knitted covers for straps. I think I would try http://www.knitpicks.com Shine sport would probably work well--this is 60% cotton, 40 percent Modal (a man-made cellulose fiber that is super soft). I really like this yarn. It is Soft, with a capitol S.

I had been thinking of looking for some silk to cover my Swift II straps. I'm breaking out from the abrasion. My skin is very sensitive. My aesthetician says what she is seeing looks more like abrasion than sanitation. I keep the straps pretty clean due to a tendency toward acne.

I like ALL of these tips. I think they would all work well for what I have in mind.

But frankly, tomorrow I'm going to call my DME and see if I can get one of the zippered covers. I didn't know it was possible to get that from a DME. And I had never seen this particular cover before. Looks like a winner!

But for now, I'm going to try the plastic bag idea with the fleece cover I made this afternoon. I think it should work well. It is the stupid rubber that keeps it from sliding thru. I think that will work well! Wish I had thought of it.

Jen

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:15 pm

I took one of the "fuzzy fleece" lap throw that I purchased from Family Dollar for $7.50. This isn't one of the thin fleece throws but is heavier and has a fuzzy nap. I took my hose (6 ft) and laid it on the laid out lap throw. I fold it over and left probably 2 or 3 inches extra and cut it out. I did this twice. I wanted extra long so I could bunch it up for extra insulation. I sewed the two pieces together on the short end for a length of about 10 feet approximately. I then sewed the sides up. I then turned it inside out and didn't have really any problem turning it as the material is easily handle. I then threaded the hose through it and didn't have any problem doing it as there is a little extra room. I took the end once it was through and used a pony holder and wrapped it tight on the end. I then took approximately half the length of the cover and scrunched it up half way on the hose and put another pony holder. Then I scrunched up the rest of it to the end of the hose and wrapped another pony holder on it. The cover has some give to it as it moves along the hose -- which I happen to like. If I change the length of hose I use I can use the same cover without making a new one -- it is washable and oh so cozy to sleep with.

If you need further instruction pm me.

Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:28 pm

When I first got my xpap I had bad rainout. I had some polar fleece sitting around and so cut it as long as the hose and wide enough to wrap around the hose. When I wrapped it around the hose it went around a couple of times and then I just used some velcro to secure it every few inches. I did this because I was desperate, but it helped until my heated hose came. I don't see why you couldn't wrap it around a hose a bunch of times, like 3 or 4 layers.

I've been thinking about this cause I'm getting rainout with my heated hose. That's because I like it COLD in my bedroom. Before cpap my setback thermometer went down to 53 degrees at night in the winter. I reset it to 64, which is warmer than I like it! I love to cuddle down in the comforters and feel the cool air on my face. I also like to breathe cool air, but with a heated humidifier that's a thing of the past. I'm thinking about covering my heated hose with the polar fleece, but am not sure this is a good idea. I hate to have to pay for more heat in the winter, just like I had huge AC bills in the summer just so I could sleep with that mask on in the humid weather.

Another thing: I saw a crocheted hose cover for sale on ebay. Maybe someone should tell her to sell them on cpapauction.com, too.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

RachelM

Post by RachelM » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:43 pm

Easy and fun to make----I also made my own cover from a cuddly fleece that matched the bedroom decor. It was made about 1/2" wider (after seam) than hose about one and a third times the length. This was easy to turn right side out and then insert over hose. Strips of fleece 3/8" wide by 12" served for a tie on each end. Every few hose cleanings I also dunk the whole hose with cover in a bucket of suds and wash the whole thing.

The one night I had a new hose and didn't put the cover on reminded me of why I had made one. The rainout that night was severe and the cover went on the next day.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:40 pm

your frustration seemed to begin with trying to turn the hose cover inside out, don't bother, leave the seam exposed, fleece won't fray.

bearcatx16

Post by bearcatx16 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:24 pm

I found that 2 pr. of athletic tube socks work really well. Cut the toe out and the slip on the hose effortlessly and are held in place with the velcro wire wraps. If you spiral the sock down the hose gives it a very nice look. I used a white pair and a gray pair and alternated the socks on the hose. Just be sure to wash the socks before you put them on the hose. That's the best crafty idea I can come up with.

Fred

In the game of Life there is no two minute warning, just sudden death then judgment............Paraphrase Heb. 9:27 NIV
Not sure you believe in God.....just don't die.

ColoradoDreamer

Post by ColoradoDreamer » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:26 pm

Like some of the other posts, I made my own fleece hose cover and have great success with taking a plastic sandwich bag to cover the end of the hose when sliding it in the fleece cover. It slides through nice and easy.

When making a fleece hose cover make sure that it is somewhat bigger than the hose at the biggest cross section. When turning the sewed fleece inside-out, safety pin one end of the fleece with a long scrap piece of the felt (or string), run it through the inverted hose cover and pull it through so it is right side out. I use the colorful soft Velcro strips that one can find in the craft section to cinch down the ends.

As we advance into fall and then into winter the issue of rain out will a common post here. I have found that even with my fleece cover rain out continued to be a big problem. Some ways around this problem is to not have any fans running in the room, turn up the heat (if you can afford it), and run the hose under your covers (if you can stand it). One can always move to warmer climates I suppose.

Last year the rain out got so bad (I was waking up a couple times a night to empty the fleece covered hose) that I broke down and bought the Aussie heated hose. It was well worth it.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:10 pm

Jen......

Straighten out a coat-hanger......run it through the hose cover....tape the hose to the wire....pull the hose thru the cover. Remove the tape from the hose.....and throw away coat-hanger.

Gerald

Windfall

Post by Windfall » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:18 pm

I used a purchase hose cover until my dog chewed the hose and cover (she also had to adjust to my CPAP therapy!).

I made the next one using double sided Minky fleece, 60 inches in length. The cover is 119 inches long (using two 9 inch wide pieces end-to-end) and bunches up like an earlier poster described on an 8 foot hose. I also use velcro at the ends. Using a small sandwich bag really does make it easier to stuff the hose into the cover.

Similar fabric is online at:
http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2.as ... a376046a5e

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:01 am

Okay I learned something this morning. My lap throw that I used to make mine is the Minky fleece. Didn't know the name of it . With it getting cooler here I don't mind snuggling with mine instead of the cold plastic of tube.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

packer

heated hose and polar fleece cover

Post by packer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:33 am

I find the aura, twilight np whatever it is called to
be the best fit- lowest leak etc. I keep trying other masks but it is best by far
so-- it rains bad which gets me to the point

buy the aussie hose and put the fleece cover over it

I have been doing this for months now and it seems to work--
can have my aflex humidifier turned up to 3 and no rain

to put cover on heated hose I used a small plastic bag over end of heated hose
it pushed through cover fairly easy because plastic was slippery

I am curious how many have cover over heated hose? Packer