chicken shots - from the combs on the back of chicken's head

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bert_Mathews

chicken shots - from the combs on the back of chicken's head

Post by Bert_Mathews » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:27 am

NOT wanting to go under the knife.. I was looking at viscosupplementation.

Shots into the joints instead of replacement?

Who has had this done?
Who did it work?
Who long did it last?

Should I just suck-it-up and go under the knife?

Bert

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:07 am

I never heard of it. But then (knock on wood!), I've not had joint problems. IF this viscosupplementation is FDA approved I check thoroughly for possible side effects reported during clinical trials and any known side effects since its approval and their percentages of occurance. If I felt comfortable w/the known possible risk factors I'd sure try it before agreeing to surgery!!

What they take out they can't put back in and surgery always leaves some scar tissue that COULD become a problem so I've always looked at surgery as a last resort if there were an option or options whose risk factors I was willing to chance.

Obviously I wouldn't even consider viscosupplementation if I had any allergies or sensitivities to eggs or chicken assuming it involves the use of your post subject.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Suz-E-Q

Post by Suz-E-Q » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:11 am

Joint replacement certainly is a proven fix. Seems to me that going with a fix that has had that much history of success would be the way to go. But then again I am not the one going under the knife. A neighbor here had it done and was back on her daily walks in no time.

Good Luck

kteague

Joint injections

Post by kteague » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:20 am

About 3 months ago I had a series of 3 synovial fluid supplementation injections (Euflexxa) in both knees over a period of 3 weeks, accompanied by 1 cortisone shot in each. It would be hard to say which helped, but I am at least mobile, though not pain free. I would have to have a bone spur removed to stop that bit of the pain, but I am no longer hollering or moaning with every movement - even able to do water exercise. Doc said it would be reasonable to expect at least 6 months of improvement, and many have longer lasting effects, but it is a temporary measure in avoidance of surgery.

Will I have them again to avoid surgery? Yes, for as long as they continue to help. They aren't magic, but like I said, I am mobile. Once the knee is bone-on-bone their effect isn't expected to be much help.

Word of advice if getting the injections - I was in much discomfort upon leaving the doctor's office, one visit being barely able to walk out due to knees feeling so full and unable to flex. Should have taken something for pain before going. When they say to use ice and keep elevated - do it. Ice is your friend.

Kathy

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:30 am

When my co-worker had her knee replacement she was told that it probably would only be good for 10 years after which they tended to wear out. It may be that they have ones that are expected or have been proven to last longer now. I see on TV ads for only partial knee replacement for women. I have no idea why for women but not for men. Or maybe there is partial knee replacment for men too but they are different for some reason. What do I know?? I have enough problems keeping up with, studying and deciding on my options for the problems I DO have!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Catnapper

knees

Post by Catnapper » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:29 am

I have had injections of Syn Visc for knee pain twice. Both times I felt it was very helpful. I eventually had bilateral total knee replacement.

One doctor who gave the knee shots numbed the knees first, the other doctor just sprayed a cold something on the injection site. The numbed version did not hurt at all. The other did not hurt one knee, but hurt in the other. You have to have the shots in a series each a week apart.

I had no trouble with the shots at all, and the improvement seemed to happen almost immediately and lasted several months. I have talked to other people who had this done and no one had bad results. Somewhere there are surely people who did not have good results, so think about it and read about it before deciding.

Total knee replacement is big surgery, especially if you have both done at once as I did. There is a recent increase in a partial knee replacement that I would have done had it been available for me.

From my experience, I waited too long to do the replacements, and had lost lots of the strength in my legs. I also felt that I gave up too many things I enjoyed, like taking a walk, before I gave up my resistance and had the knees repaired.

If you want to PM me, I will answer questions.

MartiniLover

Post by MartiniLover » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:41 am

I had the shots, and didn't have any luck with them. I have friends who swear by them.

I ended up having a knee, and a ankle put it. I too wish I had it done earlier. I missed to many good things.

As with any medical treatment, you must be proactive. If your doctor doesn't do something, he may not recommend it. Don't trust them to know EVERYTHING.

Bipap 13/9, 10ft Hose

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:35 am

All good INFO ---BUT--- I'm starting Medicare next month and don't think it's covered?
What would be the out of pocket co$t on this??

Bert

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

Catnapper

medicare

Post by Catnapper » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:59 am

I can't answer the question directly, but found this on the web:

http://www.synvischcp.com/reimbursement ... icare.aspx

http://www.synvischcp.com/reimbursement ... icare.aspx

The first link says it is covered if you meet the requirements, like not responding to other treatments for arthritis.
The second tells how to make the claim.

I didn't do it that way, so maybe your doctor could help or maybe someone in the billing office.

Ody

Post by Ody » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:11 am

Bert,

I had a unicompartmental (one side) done under Medicare and it was paid for. I have a supplemental policy that paid my part. The bill was $42,000 but Medicare paid a LOT less. My total cost was $66 ($22 x 3 days) for a private room. I suggest you study carefully this website:

http://www.biomet.com/

Very informative and the replacement is expected to last as long as 20 years. Use a Doctor trained by BIOMET as mine was. My procedure took less than 2 hours and I was in hospital 3 days. My knee surgery was done 15 months ago and is not like it was when I was in my 20's. But is an improvement over the way it was prior to surgery. Do LOTS of therapy. It makes a big difference in your recovery and end results. Would I do it again? Yes

EMAIL me for additional info if you like.

azaloune

Post by azaloune » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:39 pm

I had 3 Synvasc (Cock's Comb fluid) treatments almost exactly 12 months ago. I am still pain free. I am not even considering surgery now. If I have more issues, I will have this done again. I think this is the greatest thing going. It is much easier to get over than cortisone and lasts a great deal longer.

Just the following suggestion for you, 2 questions to ask your Dr.

"Are you going to use a numbing injection to get to the proper spot?"
"Are you going to freeze the skin to give the numbing medication?"

The numbing shot, and freezing the skin to give the numbing shot, is best for patient comfort. It is also the hardest part of the procedure, but I would rather have the numbing shot than not have it.

The process of the injection is not great, but the results are very, VERY, worth it. I had a profound limp for the first 24-36 hours after each injection. After that, I was pain free. I don't know if it was the fact that I got used to the process of having the injection, or, was it because I was feeling better each time. I never really thought about it that much. I was very happy I no longer had to think about surgery.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. I am a patient relating my experience. YMMV
Caution! I brake for Elves, Fairies, Gnomes, Leprechauns, Unicorns, Dragons & and other invisible creatures only I can see!

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:03 pm

I have a co-worker who had the "chicken shots". She says they are painful, but not excruciatingly so because they numb her up before they do it. She likes it better than going under the knife. She hopes to have LapBand surgery at the end of the year to reduce the strain from her weight on her knees.

She only takes a day off when she gets the shots. She's had it done a few times in the 3 1/2 years I've worked with her. One day off is a lot better recovery than knee surgery.

My ex-husband used to machine parts for knee and hip replacements. The company he worked at had a marketing video for surgeons. Because I saw the procedure being done in those videos, I hoped to NEVER have to have knee or hip replacement.

I'm one of those people who have only had a tonsillectomy, and I've only gotten stitches once in my life.

Work like you don't need the money;
Love like you've never been hurt;
Dance like nobody's watching.

Panhandler

Post by Panhandler » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:29 pm

I'm in the second round of Syn-Visc injections. The first series was about a year ago, and worked pretty well for a long time. I had my right knee done about a month ago, and it didn't seem to work this time. The left knee needs one more shot, and I think it's going to be OK.

By the way, I discovered that I was allergic to the local anesthetic when I got it three weeks in a row! It itched like crazy, so I'm just taking it without, now. I'm a little disappointed that the right knee didn't work this time. My doc says it may or may not work with another set of injections.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.