Should I get another sleep study?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JZ

Should I get another sleep study?

Post by JZ » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:07 pm

I was diagnosed with mild to moderate OSA in 2006 and have been successful on CPAP therapy since then.

For the past few months, I have been falling asleep frequently during evening TV viewing. That hasn't happened to me, other than occasionally, since I started CPAP. Less than a year ago I had open heart surgery for valve repair. I've dropped about 18-20 pounds over the past year (from about 130 to 110). I know that major changes such as these can affect one's sleep apnea.

My titration pressure from my original sleep study was 7. I keep my S9 set at a range of 7 to 10. I don't have software, so don't have details about what is happening at night. But the summary screen from my machine shows no mask leaks and an AHI generally of less than 1.

Falling asleep in front of the TV is the only symptom I am having. No daytime sleepiness, no headaches, no getting up in the night to pee.

I'd like to hear what others think about my next steps. Sleep study? Increase the upper range of my pressure? Something else?

zoocrewphoto

Re: Should I get another sleep study?

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:15 pm

Your S9 autoset can use two kinds of software, both free. Sleepyhead and ResScan. I would get the software and review the data before considering a sleep study. You may just need to tweak your settings a bit, and the data can help you do that. It could be that the minimum is no longer successful, or maybe you are topping out part of the night. It is hard to guess blind, but the data may have some good information for you. If you are then unsuccessful in improvement, then go for a new sleep study. But no reason to spend a lot of money and have a bad night of sleep, if you can figure out the needed changes from the data.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:16 pm

JZ wrote:I was diagnosed with mild to moderate OSA in 2006 and have been successful on CPAP therapy since then.

For the past few months, I have been falling asleep frequently during evening TV viewing. That hasn't happened to me, other than occasionally, since I started CPAP. Less than a year ago I had open heart surgery for valve repair. I've dropped about 18-20 pounds over the past year (from about 130 to 110). I know that major changes such as these can affect one's sleep apnea.

My titration pressure from my original sleep study was 7. I keep my S9 set at a range of 7 to 10. I don't have software, so don't have details about what is happening at night. But the summary screen from my machine shows no mask leaks and an AHI generally of less than 1.

Falling asleep in front of the TV is the only symptom I am having. No daytime sleepiness, no headaches, no getting up in the night to pee.

I'd like to hear what others think about my next steps. Sleep study? Increase the upper range of my pressure? Something else?
Get the friggin' software!!!

It may be the pressure changes are leaving you unrested. It could be you're leaking your therapy air out your mouth. Could be your therapy settings aren't optimal. Could be any number of possibilities or combinations.

Sleepyhead software is FREE! Get it! Use it!
Using an Auto CPAP machine in a range of pressures is like driving a car without a speedometer.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

JZ

Post by JZ » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:22 pm

OK, I hear you about the software. But I am, ahem, technologically challenged. Pre-Sleepyhead when I had a previous APAP, the software was not easily compatible with Apple. I have a MacBook laptop. Is Sleepyhead compatible without me having to do all kinds of technology somersaults?

JZ

Post by JZ » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:28 pm

Well I just answered my own question.

SleepyHead Wiki says, "SleepyHead works on Linux, Mac 10.6.x and above, and Windows XP and above."

I'll give it a try, but would still be glad to hear from others about another sleep study. Also, would be glad to hear from Mac users how user friendly SleepyHead is. I'll check out the reviews as well.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:31 pm

http://sleepfiles.com/SH/index.html?TestingVersions

This link has the download page. The page should recognize your computer as a mac and recommend that version. When it loads for me, it knows I have windows.

If you have questions, post here. There are some experts who will help you. I haven't used a mac in years, so I am not sure what differences might come up. But I know it has been discussed many times as people got the help they needed.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

JZ

Post by JZ » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:36 pm

zoocrewphoto -- Thanks

Den -- what do you mean by, "Using an Auto CPAP machine in a range of pressures is like driving a car without a speedometer." Do you mean via the software I need to find the best pressure and use my APAP as a CPAP on that one pressure? I've hear others advocate that, but would like to hear more.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:42 pm

The software will show you if your therapy is working. With that you can make adjustments so your cpap works better. Auto doesn't make it perfect, adjustment are common over time to get the best therapy. For some using auto doesn't work.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:46 pm

JZ wrote:Well I just answered my own question.

SleepyHead Wiki says, "SleepyHead works on Linux, Mac 10.6.x and above, and Windows XP and above."

I'll give it a try, but would still be glad to hear from others about another sleep study. Also, would be glad to hear from Mac users how user friendly SleepyHead is. I'll check out the reviews as well.
Long time Mac user here. SleepyHead is very Mac friendly. The Mac version has all the standard Mac menu items in the standard Mac places. Mouse clicks work as expected. And the installation is the standard Mac installation process: You download the disk image file, open it up and drag the SleepyHead application to your Applications folder. Once it's there you can do the standard Mac-based drag to the task bar so that its always easy to find.

JZ

Post by JZ » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Thank you, robysue!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:50 pm

JZ wrote:zoocrewphoto -- Thanks

Den -- what do you mean by, "Using an Auto CPAP machine in a range of pressures is like driving a car without a speedometer." Do you mean via the software I need to find the best pressure and use my APAP as a CPAP on that one pressure? I've hear others advocate that, but would like to hear more.
I hope I didn't come across too strongly. If I did, I apologize.
But, using the software with an Auto CPAP is like watching the speedometer in a car. It tells you something about how your pressure ranges (foot on the accelerator pedal) are performing in regard to your therapy.

Some people do better with ranges of pressures and some/many do better with fixed pressure. For some people, the pressure changes can disturb their sleep and leave them feeling unrested. But, having the software and actually SEEING all the events during the night is really what's important to be able to determine the quality of this therapy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:06 pm

JZ wrote:Den -- what do you mean by, "Using an Auto CPAP machine in a range of pressures is like driving a car without a speedometer."
what he SHOULD have said is "using a pap machine without the software to read the data is like driving a car blindfolded."

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JZ

Post by JZ » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Got it, Den -- thanks. No, you did not come on too strong. I just needed more explanation.

And thanks to palerider.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:04 pm

You've gotten good advice. Another sleep study should NOT be your first move. We need them at least once to make sure that apnea is our problem. But sleeping during a sleep study is nothing like sleeping at home - different bed, different equipment, all wired up, being awakened multiple times, etc. You already have a data-capable machine and a lot of expertise in this forum. So put in the time and trouble to install and learn to use sleepyhead and how to post screenshots. All the info you need is in the top section of the forum. Ask for help installing if you need to, but it's pretty straightforward.

Our cpap needs can change at any time and for many reasons. These smart machines allow us to monitor our progress and make adjustments as needed. Unfortunately, the doctors and clinics are often only interested in if the machine is being used enough hours so that they continue to be paid - NOT how effective it is in treating our apnea. We need to be willing to take that responsibility ourselves.

Last edited by yaconsult on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:40 pm

palerider wrote:
JZ wrote:Den -- what do you mean by, "Using an Auto CPAP machine in a range of pressures is like driving a car without a speedometer."
what he SHOULD have said is "using a pap machine without the software to read the data is like driving a car blindfolded."
No......THAT would be like using a non-data-capable ("brick") and having NO data to look at.

Den

User since 05/14/05