Should I get another sleep study?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Should I get another sleep study?

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
palerider wrote:
JZ wrote:Den -- what do you mean by, "Using an Auto CPAP machine in a range of pressures is like driving a car without a speedometer."
what he SHOULD have said is "using a pap machine without the software to read the data is like driving a car blindfolded."
No......THAT would be like using a non-data-capable ("brick") and having NO data to look at.
ok, fine, with one hand tied behind your back and after having rubbed your eyes with the hand you were cutting jalapenos with

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:50 pm

palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
palerider wrote:
JZ wrote:Den -- what do you mean by, "Using an Auto CPAP machine in a range of pressures is like driving a car without a speedometer."
what he SHOULD have said is "using a pap machine without the software to read the data is like driving a car blindfolded."
No......THAT would be like using a non-data-capable ("brick") and having NO data to look at.
ok, fine, with one hand tied behind your back and after having rubbed your eyes with the hand you were cutting jalapenos with
NOW you got it!!!

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

JZ

Post by JZ » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:21 pm

yaconsult wrote:
Our cpap needs can change at any time and for many reasons. These smart machines allow us to monitor our progress and make adjustments as needed. Unfortunately, the doctors and clinics are often only interested in if the machine is being used, enough hours so that they continue to be paid - NOT how effective it is in treating our apnea. We need to be willing to take that responsibility ourselves.
I agree. I haven't seen a doctor for my sleep apnea for years, and I fired two bricks and mortar durable medical equipment providers in the first year of my treatment. I took responsibility for working my way through many masks and many adjustments to a mask that finally worked for me. I buy upgraded machines at cpap.com when I feel it is time. And I spent many, many hours on this forum learning. Frankly, I know I would have failed at CPAP back in 2007 if not for this forum and learning I could take control of my therapy.

But I am not a data wonk. I can look at data all day long, but what is most important to me is how I feel. I know when my treatment is working by how I feel. And now, something is wrong that is causing me to fall asleep frequently in the evenings. So, I will consider the data to see what it can show me. I will attempt to download and use SleepyHead and will report back.

Thanks to all for the advice and information.