Bedside table to prevent CPAP accidents

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RosemaryB

Bedside table to prevent CPAP accidents

Post by RosemaryB » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:37 pm

Here's the new bedside table I got a while back for my machine from Target. I was looking for one that would help stabilize my machine. This is a mission style table, but the design is such that there is a wider gap through the bars toward the front and I can put my hose through those bars. This makes kind of a little cage and would prevent a person from turning over and pulling the machine off the table. Here's the link to the table. I thought others might like to see it.

http://tinyurl.com/2mmlz9

What we really need is someone to design cpap furniture for us . Luckily, mission style goes with my decor.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

Sleepdeprived

Re: Bedside table to prevent CPAP accidents

Post by Sleepdeprived » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:54 pm

[quote="RosemaryB"]Here's the new bedside table I got a while back for my machine from Target. I was looking for one that would help stabilize my machine. This is a mission style table, but the design is such that there is a wider gap through the bars toward the front and I can put my hose through those bars. This makes kind of a little cage and would prevent a person from turning over and pulling the machine off the table. Here's the link to the table. I thought others might like to see it.

http://tinyurl.com/2mmlz9

What we really need is someone to design cpap furniture for us . Luckily, mission style goes with my decor.

BadBreath

Post by BadBreath » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:57 pm

We had just changed to a king size mattress so we needed small tables to fit the remaining space next to the bed. Fortunately the tables we had ordered kept being backordered, because when I got my BiPap machine I relaized I needed extra surface area, preferably below the top of the mattress.

We found these online and they were the perfect size for the floor space with a middle shelf for the machine, still leaving the top surface for clock radio and incidentals.

They fit in with the new eclectic style of the room and the machine is easy to reach, with access from the back for the hose, and the sides for my hands and the front for reading the info, but would have trouble going anywhere.

You can see shop for them here:

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/jump.jsp? ... uctID=1833

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:45 pm

Milk crate and a piece of 1/4" plywood here.

The "Okie" cpap table....LOL

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:03 pm

Some great solutions here and lots of variety. It's fun to see/hear what others have done. I notice everyone but me uses the M-series smaller machine. Of course, if you use it with an HC150 humidifier the footprint increases.

I have limited space, so luckily the table I got, which has ample room for the tank, just fits the space. It does have plenty of room on the top for a lamp, books and alarm clock.

I have a small place and feel like my living quarters are being taken over by various masks, machine, hoses, and other accessories. Maybe I just need to add an extra room for the cpap .

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier, CPAP

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:13 pm

The bottom drawer if the Ikea Malm is prefect for my PB 420E with the humidifier.

I pad the bottom and back of the drawer with folded towels, for sound proofing.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

kteague

Table for cpap

Post by kteague » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:03 am

Rosemary,
Your idea of routing the hose thru the slots to prevent tugging on the hose from pulling the machine off is great. It is good to see what others are doing to accomodate their equipment.

Ozij,
I see you've got a hideaway for yours. Do you have to take any precautions to assure adequate air flow?

Kathy

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:26 am

I pull out the drawer for the night, then push it back in in the morning, After taking out the humidifier tank.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

drummergirl410

Post by drummergirl410 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:39 am

I bought a nightstand as soon as I found out that I was getting an xPAP. Myne had two drawers as well, one of which would fit the machine perfectly, but I am a little afraid to do that. It sits just fine on the top and I haven't pulled it off. My bed and nightstand sit close together anyway.
Joined the Hosehead Club on 7/26/2007 100% Compliant for four months... and counting!

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:34 pm

Haven't read all the posts in this thread yet, but I gotta talk after reading Rosemary's.

RobbieH - think about this. Might be the answer you're looking for.

I still say velcro earthquake straps on the table attached to the body of the machine are a VERY GOOD IDEA. You can easily detach the machine as needed, and yet keep it secure from random tipping.

RosemaryB - if you can collaborate on a design, I have a manufacturer. Not big scale, but I have a disabled stepfather who has taken up woodworking to keep himself sane. He does really good work, but not FAST, and not on a large scale. He can make a table. I've commissioned him to make me a very similar table to this one for my office waiting room.

He would love to be OF SERVICE. He's spent his whole life in service. He hates being the patient. He wants to be the problem solver.

Give me some ideas. Winter is coming, and that's his big woodworking time. Summer months he can keep busy in the garden, but winter looms hard on him.

He is brilliant, and will have his own ideas, I'm sure. But please give me some ideas to start this conversation with him. If I can sell this idea to him, I'll figure out how to provide this product to people.

Shipping will be the hardest part. RobbieH and local folks, that's easy to devise a pickup/delivery. But we may have to disassemble this and ship it flat. So think about that concept in the design.

If we come up with a great design, we could share it for free amongst us, and other woodworkers could work on this. Then if shipping from me to you would be prohibitive, you might find a local woodworker.

So, that's my brainstorm. What say the rest of you?

Cheers,
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:41 pm

Okay, now I've read. I love the second picture of the dark wood stands. Very narrow, yet still very useful. RobbieH, think about those!

I don't put any of my machine in a drawer, though I've contemplated it to lower the machine below my head.

Today, I'm re-arranging my bedroom (coincidentally) to bring in a new armoire. I figured out that if I moved the bookshelf to the other side of the bed, and put the armoire catty-corner to the bed where the bookshelf is, I can put the machine on the bookshelf at a level lower than my head. It will be on the "far side" of the bed, thus making it less accessible than on "my" nightstand, but I think it might be worth it this winter when the room gets cold and rainout becomes an issue.

Besides, the extra walk to get to bed can only do me good.

I still love the idea of coming up with a simple plan for a nightstand that my dad can replicate - or anyone else could replicate. RosemaryB, do keep me posted on your stand, and what you might like to see incorporated into it to make it ideal.

I also like the hose through the slats idea. Forgot to say that.

I think I'm going to install a Command Strip computer cable management loop on the back of my bookshelf to "hold" the hose in place. Or... Wait, I could just wrap a long loop of Velcro one-wrap around the side rail of the bookself and attach the hose to that... Oooo! Even easier! Might tray that first.

RosemaryB - just for extra help, you might try looping some velcro one-wrap around one of those slats and then around your hose. Might not be necessary. Maybe around the leg of the table that is closest to your bed... Hmmm... Maybe I could do that around the leg of my bed, to keep the hose DOWN and not travelling UP... Hmmmm....

Thanks for all the ideas!!!!

Hugs,
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:35 pm

Wow, Babette, you are a woman of action! It's neat that you are thinking about your stepfather. It sounds like he has a good way of dealing with his disability.

I'm giving some ideas of what I see good and bad about my nightstand first. My nightstand is perfect for me right now, so I don't need one, but the reason I thought to post this is that I'm helping someone else get set up with her cpap and we were talking about tables. She is over 80 and has a few problems bending over, etc. This table would not work for her as well as it does for me.

Good: The cage portion is good as is for preventing any damage to the machine. It still looks stylish, not like something for medical equipment. I think many of us don't want the decor of our bedrooms to look more medical than they need to.

Good: There's enough clearance between the top and bottom shelves that it's not at all cramped when I attach my hose or take out the humidifier tank.

Good: The bottom shelf is large enough for a tank and for the HC 100 standalone humidifier that I will use in the winter. I can slide it over to remove my card, etc.

Good: It looks good with my furniture. Not so good: You can see the cpap. I don't mind, but the drawer idea is nice for that reason.

Good: It has a roomy top, enough for a lamp, books, and some other misc stuff. When I get up I can put my mask and mouthband on there right after I take it off, etc.

Not so good: The down side is that I have to slide the machine out to remove the attached humidifier. I do empty it every day and let it dry each morning. So, I either have to lift the whole machine to the top of my nightstand or bend down. If I'm bending down, getting good leverage to seat the humidifier properly is a problem. This is a minor inconvenience for me, but for someone with more limited bending ability, it would be a big deal. For someone with these issues, the shelf for the cpap would need to be higher and also more open from the top. The cpap shelf would need to still the the right height from the top of the bed, so not too high, given problems with rainout. It could have a drawer underneath it for cpap supplies like filters and mask parts.

Drawers: I thought about getting a nightstand that would fit my cpap into a drawer of some kind, but then I'd have to lift out the cpap with the humidifier with water every morning. It would not work with the HC 100 or 150 standalone humidifier. But perhaps a false front could serve the same cosmetic purpose of hiding the cpap. Not only for aesthetics, but also safety from kids and pets. I think ventilation would be a good idea, too.

Drawers. Having some drawers for cpap stuff could be nice.

I think there would be a market for really cool nightstands to accommodate different machines.

Perhaps others have some ideas of what they'd like to see.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier, rainout, CPAP

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:13 pm

RosemaryB, THANKS!!!!! I like all your ideas.

My idea for masks was a shelf with pegs next to my bed. It's currently in my living room, and I'm thinking of moving it to the bedroom. Then I could hang the mask and hose from it. I also thought of sort of "displaying" my collection of PurSleep oils on the shelf part. And I can hang the chinstrap from there. And if I'm playing musical masks, hang extra masks there.

I don't mind the medical look, obviously. I don't get many visitors in my bedroom. It's my domain, I make it work for me.

I do like the idea of a small drawer for filters and other supplies.

How about a tablecloth to hide the machine? Same basic style as what you showed, with addition of a small drawer either under the top or under the lower shelf, and then throw a pretty decorative tablecloth over it to hide the machine?

Or DOORS. You could leave the sides and back free, but put shutter style doors on the front. Open style - maybe lattice, shutter, something like that? Doors hide the lower shelf, the drawer remains accessible at all times.

I don't think we can come up with ONE perfect design for every situation. But a beginning basic design could be tweaked for particular needs.

Like, I know one forum member can only accommodate 17" in width in her bedroom. She needs a narrow table. Someone who needs to put other things on their nightstand - like a baby monitor, pager for emergency workers, medications, oxygen - might need a wider table.

Anyway, I just like to ponder solutions. I do need to curb my tendency to try to solve every problem in the world.

LOL,
B.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:36 am

For those who find bending to the cpap or lifting it a challenge, how about a custom built cabinet with a mixer shelf?

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Babette

Post by Babette » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Slick! So that's a hydraulic lift? How do you raise it? That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing it!!!

Cheers,
B.