The infrastructure is falling! (battery power, what kind?)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bookbear

The infrastructure is falling! (battery power, what kind?)

Post by Bookbear » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:41 pm

OK, I get the feeling we're living on borrowed time out here in LaLa Land. We haven't had a night-time power outage ina couple years, and the last one lasted only a couple of hours, but....

Each summer we have more and more daytime rolling blackouts and brownouts, and there is always the chance of someone piling into a power pole and blacking out the neighborhood for hours. I use a ResMed Vantage S-8 with a heated humidifier.

So the questions are:

Battery pack from cpap.com (will it run the S-8 AND humidifier? I'm thinking not)

Deep cycle marine battery/charger/inverter assembly?

A beefy UPS of some sort? (are there ones that would power a cpap all night? a cpap and humidifier?)

Is hoping to run a humidifier just impossible?

So, what's the collective wisdom on alternate power sources. (Hampsters are out, btw. ) I'd love to hear from people who have some form of power backup and what specific considerations led you to that choice and if you are happy with it.

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:22 pm

How about . . . Solar? lol

Actually I have been wondering about the same thing lately. Bump for a good question.
Try the Scented CPAP Mask with Pur-Sleep's CPAP Aromatherapy--CPAP Diffuser and Essential Oils.
"Love it, Love it, Love my PurSleep!"

Vader

Re: The infrastructure is falling! (battery power, what kin

Post by Vader » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:44 pm

You could always go with an in-house generator.
Somewhat expensive, but for me it's been peace of mind for living by the ocean.

Here's a generator link:

http://tinyurl.com/2rhj49

Vader

billbolton

Re: The infrastructure is falling! (battery power, what kin

Post by billbolton » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:56 pm

Bookbear wrote:Deep cycle marine battery/charger/inverter assembly?
IMO, this your best bet for running a humidfier, but make sure you get a good sine wave inverter and the biggest (in AH) deep cycle battery you can manage.
Is hoping to run a humidifier just impossible?
It does increase the cost/degree of difficulty but for a non-mobile installation its still quite practicable.

If you can deal with the noise and fuel storage/handling/maintenance issues, a (small) standby generator is also an option.

Cheers,

Bill

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:17 pm

Somehow, the search I did before posting didn't turn up WilsonVille's post. His post is essentially the same as mine (different machine, though... the ResMed seems to require a pure *not modified* sine wave output for the humidifier), so I'll consider this post closed.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:05 pm

HumidAire 2i or HumidAire 3i humidifiers require a pure sine wave inverter with a continuous power rating of 200 watts.

HumidAire heated humidifier Must not be used with inverters.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:08 pm

There is another thread here where someone has already accomplished what you are asking for for less than $130 for two xpaps.

viewtopic/t23929/Battery-Backup-Project-complete.html

Jen

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:23 pm

That project was designed to provide power for Respironics gear. The inverter that was used in that project works great for Respironics and Fisher Paykel humidifiers and humidifiers, it is not of the proper type to power a HumidAire 3i heated humidifier. Bookbear's humidifier is a HumidAire 3i.

According to Resmed, a modified sine wave inverter can damage the controller used in HumidAire 2i and 3i humidifiers. The damage will not necessarily occur immediately, it may function properly for some time before the controller is damaged.

Information on powering ResMed equipment from batteries
http://www.resmed.com/en-us/products/fl ... teries.pdf

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:53 am

OH, Gosh, sorry. I figured it was a universal set up. It was way over my head, at any rate. Hope you fiind what you are looking for!

jen