burning tongue syndrome

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zorrro13

burning tongue syndrome

Post by zorrro13 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:43 am

I have recently developed what is known as burning tongue syndrome. Feels like i burnt it drinking hot cofee to quick except it doesnt go away and has a metalic taste . Also the tongue has a white coating over it that can be removed if brushed although very sensative. just wondering if this is a byproduct of osa and does anyone have a similar condition here

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:53 am

If my experience in mouthleaks is anything to go by, they might be a cause.

Do you mouthleak? If so, you may want to try taping you mouth shut during the night -

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

zorrro13

Post by zorrro13 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:57 am

Thanks but I tape already

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Burning tongue

Post by Pad A Cheek » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:05 am

Hi your symptoms reminded me of something newborns can get called
Thrush. I do not know if this is what you are experiencing but it is worth looking into.
Here is a link I found about thrush.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/fac ... thrush.htm

I found it interesting too that it listed diabetes as connected to this, and we know that diabetes is related to sleep apnea.

I do hope you find out what is going on, this burning tongue is not something I have heard of before regarding CPAP use.

Karen

zorrro13

Post by zorrro13 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:01 pm

Thanks Karen
I went and bought some antifungal drops and it has cleared up. I guess I must be a big baby. so why did i feel embarresed at the drug store

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

burning tongue

Post by Pad A Cheek » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:26 am

I am so glad that it is clearing up. I do hope you never have a problem with that again. I am sure it was not a very nice thing to experience.

I am glad drops helped. It is enough of a challenge to get used to the CPAP without pain in your mouth too.

Take care,

Karen

quitsel

Re: burning tongue syndrome

Post by quitsel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:41 am

I am so glad to have clicked onto this site this morning........I have been experiencing the burning tongue every night in the past week. After reading, I have decided to begin using listerine rinsing as part of my daily hygiene, I might even try peroxide rinsing.........I usually wash my mask quite often but I have been staying at my son's house this past month and much of my usual routine has been altered.........Upon reading the anti-fungal comment, a light bulb flashed in my head! I am hoping my symptom during sleep will disappear......as I know it did take me a very long time to become c-pap mask friendly..........I have finally become so pleased with my quality of life since using my machine every night and also at nap-time..............I actually look forward to wearing it at night! Thanks again for sharing on your web-site!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:53 pm

My hubby and I got thrush from some turbo garlic bread we made--too much garlic, it appears.
His went away fairly quickly, but mine lingered.
The lozenges the doctor RX'd me were no help at all.
But I had a stroke of insane, twisted genius:
I had him give me his used chewing gum (hubby, not the doc),
and I re-inoculated my mouth with the good bugs that kill thrush.
It worked!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:09 pm

You can get thrush after a course of antibiotics, because the antibiotics can kill the "good" bacteria and allow the fungus to get the upper hand.

Likewise, steroids, particularly inhaled steroids from asthma medications can cause an overgrowth of fungus. It's CRUCIAL to rinse your mouth well after using steroid inhalers (powder or spray). I'm allergic to anti-fungals, so I'm vigilant about this, because oral thrush would be very hard to deal with if I got it.

The fact that you got this also means that you need to work on your "flora"--beneficial bacterial populations which overpower the fungi that cause thrush--by eating lots of fermented foods (not fermented alchohol! ) like yogurt, sauerkraut, pickles, kimchee, kamboucha, etc. You can also take acidopholous capsules--good ones are found in the refrigerated section of your local health food store.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Chunkyfrog, That is absolutely brilliant.