Really Strange . . .

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
j.a.taylor

Really Strange . . .

Post by j.a.taylor » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:39 am

I've been on CPAP for almost two weeks now, and took to it quickly without much struggle.

Most nights, I turn on the machine, position my mask, and fall right to sleep until my alarm goes off in the morning. This has been a great feeling, because normally I wake up 4-5 times a night, and generally don't sleep longer than 2 hours in a stretch.

However, every two days or so, I suddenly wake up at night without my mask on. The first time, my mask was hung nicely over our headboard, but the machine was still running--that woke me up, and I put the mask back on.

The next time this happened, I woke up with the mask in my hand.

Last night, I went to bed at 11, put the mask on as usual, and at some point, had a "dream" that I was shutting my machine off. I then tossed and turned, with crazy dreams (in one I was promoting a Beatles reunion, which would have been difficult with two of them gone), but didn't actually wake up until 2:30 am when I realized I felt like crap. The mask was off, and hung nicely, and the machine was off. So, I'm concluding that I shut it down in a semi-conscious state.

I put the mask back on, started the machine, and slept until 7 when my alarm went off. But I've got to tell you, I feel like crap today.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Stranger experiences?

John A. Taylor

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:49 am

I generally go to be earlier than my wife. When I first started on xPAP (May 06) my wife would wake me up when she came up to tell me to put on the mask. Eventually, I stopped doing this (probably about 4 to 6 weeks in). Sounds strange but at that time right before I was falling asleep I kept telling myself that I would wake up with the mask on over and over (kind of like counting sheep) and eventually I did. Now I rarely wake up without the mask on.

TM

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:53 am

Anonymous wrote:I generally go to be earlier than my wife. When I first started on xPAP (May 06) my wife would wake me up when she came up to tell me to put on the mask. Eventually, I stopped doing this (probably about 4 to 6 weeks in). Sounds strange but at that time right before I was falling asleep I kept telling myself that I would wake up with the mask on over and over (kind of like counting sheep) and eventually I did. Now I rarely wake up without the mask on.

TM
Yea ... but can you keep telling yourself to promote a Beatles reunion?
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:37 am

LOL. Actually I would prefer to promote the original Allman Bros or even the current if they got Dickey Betts back/let him back; or original Little Feat.

TM

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:09 am

as long as your raising the dead, how about bringing up Al Jolson.
Mammy, my little Mammy, I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles. my Maaaaamy

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:23 am

lots of people have done this when first starting out and there have been suggestions from veterans to give yourself a 'talking to' before going to bed, telling yourself you WILL keep the mask on and you WILL wake up with it on in the a.m.
i had the same thing going on at first, hanging it up neatly and turning the machine off at some point in the night...had to do the above to train myself...spent the last 5 months wearing it all night long, only to find the last two nights in a row i took it off, don't know when, woke up in the morning without it guess i'll have to give myself a good talking to!

lilsheba

Post by lilsheba » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:52 am

I have to say after 3 and 1/2 weeks on cpap now I haven't woken up with my mask off. I'm glad cause I really have felt so much better. It's not perfect by any stretch but it's way better.

drummergirl410

Post by drummergirl410 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:53 pm

I've been using an APAP, let's see.. almost two weeks. I've also seen a big improvment with the treatment and it seems to get better every day. I found myself trying to take off my mask only once so far, a few nights ago. I was dreaming that something was on my face and statred to take off the mask, but thne I woke up and caught myself in the act. I immediately put it back on and thankfully it hasn't hapened since!

Joined the Hosehead Club on 7/26/2007 100% Compliant for four months... and counting!

j.a.taylor

Post by j.a.taylor » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:02 pm

Anonymous wrote:LOL. Actually I would prefer to promote the original Allman Bros or even the current if they got Dickey Betts back/let him back; or original Little Feat.

TM
neverbetter wrote:as long as your raising the dead, how about bringing up Al Jolson.
Mammy, my little Mammy, I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles. my Maaaaamy
While it probably would have brought in a ton of money when all the Beatles were alive, they wouldn't be my first choice to promote as a group (although I do like their music). Maybe trying to promote the dead is what made me so restless.

If I'm going to raise the dead, I'd opt for bringing back Billie Holiday. She's not rock, but her voice . . . her jazz . . .

As far as dead rock stars . . . the guys from Lynyrd Skynyrd, or Kurt Cobain, Duane Allman, Fred "Sonic" Smith . . .

And where did I even come up with this idea of promotion! It's certainly not connected to my day job in any way (never even been a fantasy of mine--I wanted to be the rock star, not the promoter). Oh well, we'll see what happens tonight. "To sleep, perchance to dream . . ."
John A. Taylor

lilsheba

Post by lilsheba » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:09 pm

I vote for Robert Palmer he was awesome and taken way too soon.

echo

Post by echo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:17 pm

I've only been a hosehead one week, and I half woke up one night about 1.5 hours after falling asleep, took off the mask, fiddled with the machine - but don't really remember what I did... and in the morning woke up with BOTH the mask and the cpap (in off mode) in my lap and me snoring away.

Reminds me of a story from one of my colleagues who sleep-walks - he knows he does this, so when he stays in hotels he normally bolts the windows and doors and blocks them both with objects so he can't open them. One night at a hotel, he had put a really heavy cabinet in front of the window (10th floor room!), and in the middle of the night woke up with the cabinet to one side (he still has no idea how he moved it in his sleep), the windows wide open, and him standing in front of the window (ready to jump?!).

...So at least you don't have to worry about plunging to your death just from taking your mask off!

On the other hand, sorry I don't have any good advice about the mask - except as others have said, repeat the "I will not take off the mask if it's not time to get up" mantra 3 times before you fall asleep.

Some machines have an alarm that you can activate that will go off if you take the mask off without shutting off the machine - perhaps yours has this function as well? (though I guess that won;t work if you shut the machine off as well! - maybe you can rig it so you cant shut the machine off easily??) good luck mate!

j.a.taylor

Post by j.a.taylor » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:36 pm

echo wrote:...So at least you don't have to worry about plunging to your death just from taking your mask off!
I'd prefer to plunge to my death in my dreams.

At least I wake up before I hit the bottom.
John A. Taylor

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:20 pm

If I'm promoting a concert. It's gonna be Elvis Presley Although I heard he was last seen in Kalamazoo, MI

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:54 pm

I second bringing Elvis!!!

And THE PLATTERS! Gotta have THE PLATTERS!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Sal_In_Ga

Really Strange

Post by Sal_In_Ga » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:59 pm

I've been on CPAP about 6 weeks. I still take off my mask occasionally and my husband (at my request) nudges me and says. "Put your mask on." Sometimes I awaken not sure that I have my mask on and have to check. One night last week I awoke thinking that I had turned off my machine, so I reached over to turn it on - pushed the button Whoaaaa! "uptub - ubtub!" I had turned the machine OFF!!! Nearly laughed myself awake!

-Shirley in GA
Life's too short to spend it worrying about the small stuff - after all, it's just small stuff.