Optilife making my nose hurt

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
opticalpopsicle

Optilife making my nose hurt

Post by opticalpopsicle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Boy I can't win. So I had a ComfortGel full that was making a pressure sore on the bridge of my nose, so I ordered some new masks and last night I used my Optilife with the nasal pillows. I had a good night, AHI-wise, and low leaks, but boy do my nares hurt! And red too. Are there any steps I should take to fix this problem?
Machine: M Series Auto CPAP with A-Flex
Masks: ComfortGel Blue Full and OptiLife Pillows.

kaiasgram

Re: Optilife making my nose hurt

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:49 pm

opticalpopsicle wrote:Boy I can't win. So I had a ComfortGel full that was making a pressure sore on the bridge of my nose, so I ordered some new masks and last night I used my Optilife with the nasal pillows. I had a good night, AHI-wise, and low leaks, but boy do my nares hurt! And red too. Are there any steps I should take to fix this problem?
Ouch! I've had that happen with my NP mask too. I had to let it heal, then I started dabbing a bit of lansinoh on and inside my nostrils before masking. In the morning I dab a bit more on to keep everything calmed down. I also use NeilMed nasal spray gel a couple of times a day to keep nasal passages moist.

Which NP mask can make a difference too -- my Aloha does not irritate my nose at all, but my Swift FX does. So maybe try another NP mask if you can't get the irritation under control.

wilsonintexas

Post by wilsonintexas » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm

sorry to say it but welcometo the mask hunt...... which mask next......

I gave pillows a try for a week, but my nose could not stand it....

so it ws then nasel.... and now a full face mask. I hope that you are workign with a DME or CPAP and they can give it the 30 day try..... my DME only allowed 1 swap....

You can also check with the forum, some people have spare / masks that did not work anmd make thenm available.

I am having a few sent to me to try on my son for screening..... I am going to try a few myself, and then pass them back, or on......

If you put a post something like, would liketo try XXXXXX anyone have one to let me try it, you will probably get a response.

this is frustrating...... almost as bad as getting use to the machine.....

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:11 pm

try some Lanolish or a water based gel for a day or two. The nose has a way of healing after a day or two and it should stop hurting. You may have the mask too tight. My nose never got sore with the Aloha, but it did my first night on the Nasal Aire. I used a little Vasoline for one night (probably not recommended) and was good to go for 4 years.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Anything more than minor tenderness when using nasal pillows is either wrong size nasal pillow or straps too tight or general poor fit.
If you look in the mirror and you see any inclination that the tip of the nose is pulled up...sort of like piggy nose...the straps are too tight and most often the top strap.
Nasal pillows need to be worn loose to fully inflate. Too tight and they won't inflate and the inner cone, which is suppose to just barely be inside the nostril, gets crammed against the nostrils inside and the silicone will rub them raw.

See if this video helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgzbYw1ZcZM

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

opticalpopsicle

Post by opticalpopsicle » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks for all the tips, I am finding that the learning curve for the pillows is huge. I used them the one night and here it is 2 days later and my poor nose is still red and ouchy. I used my other full face mask last night because I just can't do another trial with the pillows until my nose heals. Sheesh. Yes, Welcome to the great mask hunt indeed.
Machine: M Series Auto CPAP with A-Flex
Masks: ComfortGel Blue Full and OptiLife Pillows.