tingling fingers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Moby

tingling fingers

Post by Moby » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:04 am

I quite frequently wake up with tingling little and ring fingers in both hands. Could this be something to do with breathing - eg if the exhaust vents are blocked?

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:59 am

I have two thoughts on the subject:
1. When I am waiting for my auto start APAP to crank up, I sometimes feel my little and ring fingers curl up, I think because of the re-breathed CO2.
2. Sometimes the recliner will press on my elbow joint just right and seem to put my little and ring fingers to sleep or tingle.

If this symptom of yours happens when asleep on your back or when sleeping on your arm, I think it is blood circulation rather than air circulation at the root.

IMHO

TerryB

SleepingBeauty

Post by SleepingBeauty » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:06 am

I had tingling in my right hand that ended up going from my fingers to above my elbow, progressing in strength as the days went on. It ended up as a neck disc problem. Could you be laying in an unusual position putting pressure on the nerves?

Kaythu

Post by Kaythu » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:16 am

I have carpal tunnel syndrome and find that when I sleep well and don't move around at night I wake up with the hands/arms numb or tingling. I've been told that this is because when I don't move I put pressure on my arms/hands that aggravates my CTS. For me it's the same and your leg falling asleep if you sit with it crossed under you too long. I have to be careful not to fall asleep with my arms crossed or hugged to my body too tightly or I wake up sore. When I sleep badly my hands don't hurt in the morning. Maybe you've got something like that going on.

Karen

Moby

Post by Moby » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:56 am

Thanks everyone.

It could be disc or carpal tunnel, from not moving around so much. I used to get up to the toilet several times a night, and don't anymore. So of course that could cause more stiffness/pressure in the ageing joints!

It's confusing as you say, because overall I have *less* pain in the morning, so I hadn't considered that possibility.

Good thinking!

Moby

Post by Moby » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:59 am

Terry B, thanks. It does tend to happen when I wake up on my back.

Babette

Post by Babette » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:41 am

Don't you listen to them. First, you need to slam a bible on your foot. Then you need to check into the ER complaining of stroke.

Couldn't resist...

KIDDING! JOKING!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:59 am

You really need to get this looked into by a neurologist. It can be caused by many things - some not so severe and others more so. It can be nerve damage from the ulnar nerve passing through a bony notch in the elbow, or diabetic neuropathy, or even excessive alcohol consumption over many years, as well as a whole host of other possibilities, some of which have already been mentioned.

If the nerve dies, it can cause muscle atrophy and difficulty in limb movements. Get it checked out just to be on the safe side.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:23 pm

Carpal tunnel won't affect the little or ring fingers, but ulnar nerve entrapment (at the elbow, rather than wrist - where carpal troubles originate) can.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:52 pm

both hands? could be stress, cervical spine injury or even carpul tunnel. If you have a computer job I would consider it the latter.

Stroke or TIA related would only be to one side, extremely rare for it to impact both sides. Then it is not really tingling it is more like loss of feeling or motor control or ability to move the body part. If it was stroke related it would impact limbs (arm & legs) on the same side.

Tingling lips or loss of feeling to the lips can be a sign of TIA/stroke. It feels more like when your hand/arm goes asleep.

Trust me, if you are having a TIA/stroke you usually know it, it feels very uneasy, you want to talk and tell someone what is happening (if they are there) but nothing comes out of your mouth, you can only make motions, maybe point.

TIA and strokes are different, impossible to communicate during a stroke, if you get hit with a more severe stroke it feels more like an electrical shock you cannot get away from, you may even hear those brain cells and tissue being destroyed, sort of sounds like an egg frying in a pan, and afterward, pretty hard to unfry one.

I would try some aspirin for a few days taking only 1 per day.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:05 pm

It happens to me! Exactly the same way. Tingling in my pinkies and ring fingers.
Hope we find out why.
This is too coincidental.
Lee Lee

CPAP User

Re: tingling fingers

Post by CPAP User » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:38 am

Did anyone find an answer to this? I use a CPAP machine and get the tingling on both hands. Pinkie and ring fingers. Goes away as soon as I wake up and am consious of the tingling?

stevev

Post by stevev » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:22 am

I have mild sleep apnea so I go many nights without my CPAP. I only get the tingling when I use the CPAP. My guess is that the tingling is due to having the pressure too low on my machine. My guess is that I am not getting enough air to my brain. I need to talk with my therapist to have the pressure increased.

Addercatter

Post by Addercatter » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:14 am

It could be a symptom of your body trying to get used to having the right amount of oxygen. Scuba divers get those type of symptoms (and more severe) if they get more oxygen than they are used to. (my father in law told me this, he was a scuba instructor). When I first started treatment, both arms would feel numb all the way up to my shoulders. The oxygen thing made sense... Just a thought. Get it checked though, I am certainly not a medical professional. I only offer my own thoughts and or experiences as a possiblity. I hope you all get over the sensations. They are uncomfortable. Kat
Swift FX for Her w/chinstrap
Pad-a-Cheek Mask Liners for Liberty
Pad-a-Cheek strap covers for Liberty
Hose management system

Hi, I'm ^..^ Kat

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:28 am

Just some ideas, NEVER sleep on your back, use restraints or customized backpack to prevent. Use an effective pillow since side/stomach sleeping is trickier with hosers.

Check your oximetry, not just your AHI averages. Periodic breathing events, or events in general rather than averages could be a culprit.

Look at other conditions such as laryngeal reflux (not GERD), mast cell activations, dysautonomia, fibromyalgia. These can correspond to night awakenings.

Also, wondering if blood sugar could play a role for some people?? Arent there circulation issues involved with that? But in general it sounds like
an oximetry. rheumatoligical, cardiology, or cellular issue if it becomes severe---to be checked.