Update to request for experienced input

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tired Linda

Update to request for experienced input

Post by Tired Linda » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:25 pm

YIKES, I tried to "update" my original post from last week, and ended up saving over it, therefore the orignial request is gone, but the responses are there.... Chalk it up to a frustrated, sleep-deprived mind on a cold, rainy Monday.

viewtopic/t57390/Three-monthsneed-exper ... input.html

Anyway, I wrote out a list of responses, and have been working through the list.

I found out, quite by accident, that my pillows for the hybrid need to be scrupulously clean every night. Not washing them one day pretty much ensures a night of waking to fidget with leaks.

Normally, I hate humidity in any form. But, I cranked my humidifier from 2 to 4 one night, and guess what...my AHI has been consistently <9 ever since. (This is HUGE, believe it or not) THANK YOU, BIG DADDY!!!

I have also found I do much better taping my mouth shut, even with a FFM. I just can't keep the damn thing closed. Even with the chin support on my F&P 431, my mouth will stay closed but my lips flap.

I'm not aware of any problems with acid reflux (nor did anything show in my sleep study) but I'm stopping tonight to get a wedge pillow and try that.

I have a Swift LT on the way for a test run.

I have an appt with my DME tomorrow afternoon to get fitted with a UMFFM. I'm sure they won't be happy with me, since they would much prefer to dispense nasal pillows. ("Soooo easy to fit"..her words) But an UMFF is what I want, and I've measured and tried every sizing guide I can find to determine the size I need. If worse comes to worse, I'll just ask for the specific size and take it home. Last I remember, they don't even have a place to lie down when trying a mask on.

I asked one of Santa's elves for a buckwheat hull pillow for Christmas...and she's all over it, so we'll see how that goes.

I think the only suggestion I haven't tried yet was to set my machine back on auto and try a smaller range of pressures. I should get around to that some time next week to see how that goes.

Oh, and 4-5 nights of tennis balls attached to the back of my shirt has certainly curbed my back sleeping. My husband will attest to that. I plan on wearing them every now and then, though, just to make sure I keep off my back.

Something has to happen soon...if it doesn't, then I think I can safely tell my sleep doc I've tried everything.

Linda
"There cannot be a stressful crisis next week. My schedule is already full."--Henry Kissinger

Moby

Re: Update to request for experienced input

Post by Moby » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:23 am

Good Luck!

You're working hard at this. It will work out in the end. Well done re the side sleeping.

"I'll get by with a little help from my friends" - The Beatles