My Teeth Hurt...Help???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
skjansen

My Teeth Hurt...Help???

Post by skjansen » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:25 pm

Good afternoon!

I use a Resmed Quattro ff mask and I sleep exclusively on my right side. I have been waking up in the middle of the night with my teeth on the top and bottom on my right side really hurting. Anyone else had this type of problem. The pain goas away a few minutes after I take my mask off. I don't think my mask is too tight but the way I sleep really pushes it pretty hard against the right side of my face.

When I had just a regualr nasal mask it made my front teeth separate by about 1/8" inch. Seems I fix one problem and get another.

Just wondering....

PS I sleep exclusively on my right side because I found sleeping on my back regardless of my pressure pushes my AHI over 7. Sleeping on my left side will not work as I have a problem with fluid getting in my left ear and it makes the room spin....not really a fun feeling

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:38 pm

you need to see your dentist and have it checked out.

There can be many causes from mask being too tight to grinding your teeth during sleep to a tooth abscess.

don't ignore it, a dentist can examine your teeth to determine if you are grinding, can check for pockets in the area etc.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

JZ

Post by JZ » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:56 pm

skjansen,

Snoredog has a good point. It could be tooth clenching or grinding, and his suggestion to see a dentist is a good one.

The cpap experience itself can create tension in the facial and jaw muscles. Also, my dentist told me that many sleep meds, anti-anxiety meds and antidepressants can have a side effect with some people of causing tooth clenching/grinding. She says she has gotten a lot of business from the explosive use of these medications in the past few years.

Also, it is possible you had your head or face in an uncomfortable position for a while. Or even your neck as certain muscles and vertebrae have a relationship with the jaw muscles.

Janna

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 pm

When I used the Swift nasal pillow, I felt pressure on my front teeth. If I didn't have it fastened pretty tight against my face, the mask would leak too much.

I'm not absolutely certain that this was the cause, but one of my front teeth actually broke about 6 months after I began using the mask. The tooth was under a crown because of an old injury to it, so it's possible it was compromised. But it had held for 20 years with no movement and no problems until I used the mask.

The DME folks said they'd never heard anyone complain about the masks affecting their teeth, but I've seen other threads on the forum that mentioned similar experiences with teeth movement.

Issac

Post by Issac » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:47 am

Wow, not true!
Just ask anyone here.
I can't picture where the Quatro (which I still want to try) comes in contact with your teeth. If it were the Liberty, yes, absolutely. I had the same problem . I thought my mask was too tight, but it's just the design. The Quatro ? Doesn't seem as if anything goes over the top of your mouth to hurt a front tooth.
Please explain.

skjansen

Post by skjansen » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:35 am

Issac:

My Quattro sets right under my bottom lip pressing on about 8 of my bottom teeth. It is pretty wide at that part of the mask. My teeth did not hurt last night so it may have been I really slept funny the night before last.

For whoever said their doc said their masks would not move their teeth that doc is sooooooooooo wrong. I had a very noticeable gap between my front teeth when I was using the traditional nasal mask. When I stopped using it my teeth moved back into place.

I do have a tooth on the right side that needs a crown so I suspect that is part of my problem. I am leaving on a cruise Sunday so do not have time to get it fixed before I leave. I am a trooper however so I think it will be okay.

MichelleC

Gums and cpap

Post by MichelleC » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:17 am

I started on my CPAP machine in October 2006 after my DDS 6 month check up, at my regular dentist visit in April, the DDS wanted to know what had changed, that my gums in six months had really changed, the CPAP machine was the only difference. He said that the cpap could be drying out my mouth which causes bacteria in the gums - anyone else had this to happen?

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:06 am

Sometimes I wake up and my front teeth hurt, I think its from I press my tongue against the back of my teeth to help keep my mouth closed don't ask me why because its like a reflex.

qrlylox1

teeth hurt

Post by qrlylox1 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:49 pm

This happened to me when I first started using CPAP about 2 years ago. And since then, my teeth have moved dramatically. I think its because I "fight" the air and clench my jaw and push my tonque (unconsciously) against my upper teeth. I now have large gaps between my top teeth that were never there before.
I would often wake up gnashing my teeth and would often bite my tongue. Also often wake up very sore on both sides of my tongue from clamping my molars down on it in my sleep.
I now wear the Sleep Right Night Guard which helped alot.
From time to time my teeth still ache - its a feeling just like when I wore braces as a teenager.
I also was just diagnosed with periodontal disease and my dentist did say that cpap could have contributed to that.

sleepyhead63

Post by sleepyhead63 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:13 pm

Great dental problems to look forward to!

MRH

Post by MRH » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:42 am

My bottom front teeth have been a little sore too. I know I had the mask too tight at first and have since loosened it some trying to stop leaks on the corners of my mouth. Plus I have a strip below my lip where I wore off the whiskers and it is a little red from the mask. I am still getting leaks at the corners of my mouth during the night. So I am thinking i might need to try another mask too.

Mark

sleepydog

Re: My Teeth Hurt...Help???

Post by sleepydog » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:58 am

I noticed that my front teeth began to gap. I had perfect teeth before starting CPAP use. I have had no cavities for over 20 years. When I went to the dentist he said 8 cavities were developing. We figured out that the CPAP was causing my tongue to stick out from the pressure and my mouth was drying out from the force of the air. Apparently saliva prevents tooth decay and my dry mouth is now a breeding ground for cavities. I'm going to the orthodontist to get a brace to close up the gap. I will also try to develop something to keep my mouth closed... maybe some type of light skin tape. I also put on chapstick at night because my lips get very dry.

People should really be informed by the CPAP manufactureres (and DOCTORS!!!) of all these side effects. I'm certain that they are quite common.

GoodnightHoser

Post by GoodnightHoser » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:55 pm

Haven't checked the forum for awhile and was glad to see this issue brought up. I just got a new Resmed S8 Elite 2--and I can finally tolerate cpap for more than a couple hours (I was diagnosed in March). I use a cradle cushion that sits on my upper lip. In the morning my teeth ache -- same feeling I had in 1974 when I got my braces tightened! I am analyzing my teeth like crazy checking to see if I think they are moving. Was thinking of looking into Invisalign just to tweak my smile. But now I'm thinking I should think about it more seriously!!! Old age sucks.
I would not put a thief if my mouth to steal my brains.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:29 pm

I have one front tooth that gives me trouble.
I'm going to try the night-guard thingy.
I just went out and bought one from Target.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

Marietjie

Post by Marietjie » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:21 am

Hi there - I also experienced very sore gums (almost bleeding) and eventually changed to Nasal Pillows - problem solved ! ! !