Cpap mask wipes making me break out

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepyhead63

Cpap mask wipes making me break out

Post by sleepyhead63 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:38 pm

I think I am allergic to one of the ingredients in one of the more popular mask cleaning wipes. How and what can i use to clean my mask daily with out running it under water and waiting for it to dry?

It a shame because the wipes were so convenient.

MsBea

Re: Cpap mask wipes making me break out

Post by MsBea » Sat May 14, 2011 1:25 pm

I just use a wet washcloth. If you want to continue with wipes, you may want the unscented for sensitive skin.

harry33

Post by harry33 » Sat May 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Ive never cleaned my mask daily, it and the headgear and hose are washed in warm water with mild detergent about every 2 weeks, no problems at all

masks should be checked for any black mold as this produces spores, that you dont want to be breathing in
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat May 14, 2011 1:30 pm

CPAP wipes are normally Citrus Wipes....what wipes are you using?

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Sat May 14, 2011 2:02 pm

I second trying the unscented wipes available on amazon and probably elsewhere.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat May 14, 2011 2:24 pm

Get a replacement cushion or two and swap them out every morning. Let the "dirty" one sit and dry out for 24 hours.

I dishwash my Comfortgel blue mask and multiple cushions and humidifier tank once a week or so. (Just the mask, no dishes.) Be sure to experiment with dishwashing on a "spare" mask or cushion the first time you do it on your particular mask.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Demeter_Soul

Post by Demeter_Soul » Sat May 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi, SleepyHead!

I wash my mask every morning, with Dawn's new vinegar alternative liquid detergent and water. I let it dry and at night I use a wipe on it because it always feels oily...to me. I also wipe my face with a Biore cleansing cloth...before I put on my mask.
I have the MOST sensitive skin around...and these are the mask wipes I use:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/cpap-mask-wipes.html
I've even used them on my face and had no problem. They are that gentle. I've never even tried the citrus wipes because I know my rosacea wouldn't let me get away with it...without punishing me severely!

sleepyhead63

Post by sleepyhead63 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:22 pm

I have rosacea also and I am using the citrus wipes. The one ingred. I think I react to is coconut. I read somewhere some people with rosacea use coconut oil on their face and it helps,tried it once and had a bad reaction.

There are uncented wipes? I just like the convinence of wipes. I put med on my face from time to time so I need to clean my mask daily.

Demeter_Soul

Post by Demeter_Soul » Sat May 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Yes, the wipes I use are unscented and like I posted...I've even wiped my nose and chin with them. I don't do that often, but I did in a pinch when our air-conditioner wasn't working and I felt all mucky and my mask was sliding.
I can't use coconut oil on my face, either. Or argan oil...or any kind of oil. No oils and NO vaseline and citrus would be killer on my skin. Plus, as much as I am a perfume/fragrance enthusiast...I can't stand anything on my face to be scented. Also don't care for scented body lotions and the like.
Give those wipes a try. I'm sure you'll be happy with them. And one wipe is good to clean a whole mask...and then some.