APN/HYP Index?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mtnman

APN/HYP Index?

Post by Mtnman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:00 am

Hi all,

What is the APN/HYP Index reading I get on my APAP A-Flex? What is the range of readings, low to high?

I had my first night with my new machine and I'd say it went great! I breathed comfortably and my wife said I didn't snore AT ALL. That's big for her. I woke up earlier than I wanted to but I think it was because I was excited to get up and see how I felt. And I feel pretty darn good.

This machine is almost totally silent and the Nasalair II mask felt great. I didn't use the head straps, just the one velcro strap in back. I think I may find something to secure the hoses a little tighter behind my head though. Maybe a rubber band. I think the mask will fit even better if it his held more securely behind my head.

I'm almost anxious to get to tonight and try it again!

Thanks,

Mtnman

amos

Post by amos » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:25 am

The apn/hyp or apnea/hypopnea index (AHI) is the average number of apnea and hypopnea events that you are having per hour. Anything under five is considered good.

darthlucy

Post by darthlucy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:28 am

It's awesome that you had such a great night! If your total AHI is 5 or less, you're doing fantastic. AHI is a combination of AI (apneas) and HI (hypopneas). According to the clinician manual that I got for my S8 Elite, the primary difference between AI and HI is how much decrease in ventilation is present. If the decrease in ventilation is greater than 75%, the machine classifies the event as an apnea. If the decrease is 50% to 75%, it is classified as a hypopnea. So apneas are worse than hypopneas. I don't know what level of information your machine provides, but if you get AI's and HI's, you're better off if a larger portion of your AHI comes from HI's.

By way of example, I typically get an AHI of about 2.6. My AI is almost always 0, and the entire 2.6 is usually in HI's. I consider that a really good result!

Joined the Hosehead Brigade on June 22, 2007

Mtnman

Got it!

Post by Mtnman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:30 am

Thanks for the help. My Indes was 3 so based on what I'm learning here, that good!

Thanks again...

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:11 am

Great news your first night was so good! Once I started having good sleep with the NAII, I too would wake up earlier than I wanted to. All frisky and rarin' to go. Actually kind of annoying. Waking up at 5 am I could kinda deal with. But slowly it's pushing it's way back to 4 am, 3 am, 2 am... This past week I've been a bit better, but the week before - the 2 am "friskies" as I put it were KILLING ME! I'd have to get up, do stuff, EAT... grr...!!!

MAY YOU HAVE MANY MORE GOOD NIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Bamalady

Post by Bamalady » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:29 am

It sounds as if you have your equipment tweaked pretty well! Good for you. If you run into problems, let us know.

Thx

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:02 pm

Thanks Bamalady. Your advice worked perfectly. My machine is all set up!

Mtnman