Probasics Zzz-PAP "Silent Traveler" First Impress

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Titrator

Probasics Zzz-PAP "Silent Traveler" First Impress

Post by Titrator » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:48 am

I had a chance to take one of the Probasics Zzz-PAP's home to put it through its paces before we decided to carry it. I was pleasantly surprised.

When I first picked up the Zzz-PAP and held it, I noticed how well it is made. This thing is solid. It reminded me of the Resmed S8 Compact, at a fraction of the cost. You can hold it in the palm of your hand, and it feels like a rock. People who have tried the S8 Compact will know exactly what I mean.

As far as features go, it has a pressure range from 4cm to 18cm, This hits the majority of hoseheads. If you need a higher pressure, the Goodknight 420G is your ticket.

The Zzzz-PAP has a ramp feature, manual altitude adjustment, and can be bundled with the Zzz-PAP heated humidifier. The humidifier reminds me of the classic REMstar heated humidifier. This is a plus in my book.

The foot print of this machine is very small. As you can see in the pictures at CPAP.com, the Zzzz-PAP sitting on the left next to the 420G is about half the size without the humidifier:

https://bb4b1663da2f8a31ea1b-be9b2e315e ... achine.jpg

There is only one power cable that needs to be plugged into the wall when using the heated humidifier. It is reminiscent of the way the classic REMstar is powered. There is a short jumper from the humidifier to the PAP. This is a great feature for travelers.

The Zzz-PAP does not come with DC battery capability, so If you need this type of feature, stick with the 420G, and of course the CPAP.com battery pack.

https://1187b4d09c41350ddef3-8a2c38c894 ... inhand.jpg

Speaking of the CPAP.com battery pack, we have sold lots of them and the feedback has been very good. This is a great way to travel light and have power anywhere.

Probably the most striking feature of the Zzzz-PAP, other than how solid it's built, is how quiet it is. This is without a doubt the quietest cpap I have used. I judge this from what I consider quiet, the REMstar classic model, and the HC200 series by Fisher and Paykel. There are no inhale and exhale sounds that I can hear. Since we each have a different idea of quiet, you will have to make that determination, but I contend it is the quietest machine on the market today.

When asked by Johnny Goodman if I thought it was a good machine, my answer was a resounding "Yes!!!"

I hope this sheds some light on the machine. I know there has been discussion here about it, but thus far not a lot of answers. I hope this helps.

Ted the Titrator

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): 420G, resmed, humidifier, cpap.com, fisher and paykel, CPAP, Ramp, Power, Altitude, Travel

Last edited by Titrator on Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

tangents

Post by tangents » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:32 am

Thanks for the review, Ted!

Does it compensate for leaks?

Is it much taller than the 420G?

Cathy

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:49 am

Thanks for the additional info, Ted. It sure is appreciated.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:58 am

Ted,
Is there any chance you could compare the noise of that specific Zzz-PAP to another Zzz-PAP ?

As a group, we've experienced noise differences in same model machines (Remstars, Goodknights) so it would be interesting to have this comparison - which might be meanigful if a difference is found and meaningless if it isnt....

I had two GK420E s, the noisy one died after a bit more than a year, the replacement one is soooo nice and quiet.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:04 am

I have used two different machines during the evaluation period. I spent two hours with the first machine locked in a conference room with my boss Adam. We tried every button to see exactly what the machine could do. I brought home a second machine for my trial.

Both were consistent, both were quiet.

The Zzz-PAP doesn't have leak compensation, and it is roughly an inch taller than the 420g.

This machine has quite the bang for the buck.

Ted the Titrator

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:13 pm

That's good to know.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

imacpappro

Post by imacpappro » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Ted didn't mention that we even pulled in a third guy from our repairs department. He has heard every type of sound complaint on machines we sell both defective and non defective. He was surprised at how quiet it was. Even after we 'accidentally' dropped it off the table onto the concrete floor, it was still quieter than our comparisons.....420g, S8.....

ICP - aka "Ted's Boss"

dsm

Post by dsm » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:43 pm

Ted,

That looks like the ultimate travel machine / 2nd machine / ideal machine for tight spaces. It is kinda cute too

Is it a US manufactured machine ?

DSM

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:52 pm

A bump in the night.....

bargaincrsader

Re: Probasics Zzz-PAP "Silent Traveler" First Impress

Post by bargaincrsader » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:56 am

Does it come with instuctions to change air settings?

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:04 am

bargaincrsader wrote:Does it come with instuctions to change air settings?
You can download the manual from the company's website.

The following was copied from it.

Den

Provider Mode Instructions
(Not for distribution to patients)
(1) To Re-set the Compliance Meter (TM)
1. Press "MENU" to select [TM XXXX.X hr] menu while in the standby screen.
2. Hold the "UP" and "DOWN" button, and then simultaneously press the "MENU" button
for one second. Meanwhile, [TM XXXX.X hr] will start blinking and “CLEAR ” will show
on the LCD display.
3. Press “UP” or “DOWN”. The LCD screen will show “CLEAR OK” and the total meter
record will be erased so the value becomes 0.0 hr.
4. Press "MENU" to confirm the reset function.
5. Press “START/STANDBY” button to go back to standby screen or leave the device to
automatically go back to standby screen 5 seconds later.
(2) To Set the Prescribed Therapy Pressure
1. Press "MENU" to select [P XX.XcmH2O] menu while in the standby screen.
2. Hold the "UP" and "DOWN" button, and then simultaneously press the "MENU" button
for one second. Meanwhile, the LCD screen [P XX.XcmH2O] should start blinking to
allow you to adjust the therapy pressure from 4 to 18 cm H2O.
3. Press "UP" or "DOWN" button to increase or decrease the pressure setting in
increments of 0.5 cm H2O.
4. After selecting the prescribed pressure, press "MENU" to confirm.
5. Press “START/STANDBY” button to go back to standby screen or leave the device to
automatically go back to standby screen 5 seconds later.

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Thank you

Post by Thank you » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:17 am

so interesting how they treat cpap as a prescription.

bargaincrsader

Post by bargaincrsader » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:41 am

Took me awhile but I got it. Note: Press both up and down keys while dpressing menu key.
Thanks

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:39 am

Has anyone tried it with the humidifier unit that can be ordered as a bundle?

Also how does it compare to the other travel unit: Everest 3? This one has a battery pack.

Sirtis

Post by Sirtis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:52 am

Hi and sorry for my bad question.

Can i bought this product and use my mask and tube from my Ultra Mirage™ II Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear?

Thanks for your answer.

(from germany and sorry for my bad english.)