Which Allergy Medicine works for you?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
t-bone

I'll second ClorTrimeton

Post by t-bone » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:46 pm

This is the only OTC allergy med that works for me. They took the 12-hour version off the shelves for a while, but it's back (you may have to look for it).

I found that Actifed and its kin were horrible for me if I wanted to sleep--my heart rate would go up, my BP would skyrocket, and I'd feel "wired" as if I was on speed (not that I'd know, but could imagine). Pseudoephedrine is another word for "artificial adrenaline." I got enough of the real stuff with my apnea, thank you very much.

Do Not Incorrige!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:47 pm

Linda3032 wrote:
Snoredog wrote:what are you running a Meth lab?
Now, that's kinda a dumb question to be asking someone from Arkansas.

When I tried Allegra and Clarin years ago, they both made me hyper. I might have to revisit them.
And compete against the family Moonshine Business, not a chance. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:51 pm

In Indiana, I still use the Meth Lab type, but you have to go through Homeland Security to get it, Drivers Licence, and it reported to the law. You can only buy a box a week. It takes a lot of planning not to run out, I use two different kinds and have to keep my stock up. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:07 pm

Which brands are you getting, Jim? You can still buy many of the name brands, but the problem is that they have changed their ingredients. Like, you can still buy Actifed, but it has two entirely different ingredients than what it had in December of 2006. To me, they should of had to change the name.

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:47 am

Linda,

If you're interested in a gentler approach to resolving allergies, try Vitamin C and Quercetin, both have anti-histamine like properties. Since there are some worthless brands on the market, I'll mention that I use the Natrol brand of buffered Ester-C and usually take 500 mg to 1 G per day. I use the Jerrod (sp?) brand of Quercetin, but all the brands of pure Quercetin I've found are good. The worthless brands are the ones which have Quercetin in combination with other ingredients. I usually take around 500 mg of Quercetin daily.

Walgreen's carries the Natrol brand of Vitamin C. Quercetin can be found at just about all health food stores, but I don't think the fashionable mall stores like GNC carry it.

When I've taken allergy skin-prick tests before, I've shown up allergic to about half the panel of airborne allergens, a bunch of foods, and other things. I used to get hives all the time, but that pretty much quit after I started taking Quercetin and Vitamin C. Some might call it anecdotal, but it works for me, and I've tried lots of things which don't work.

Regards,
Bill

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:50 am

P.S. Linda, I seem to recall some years back that Arkansas was also No. 1 in the nation in production of commercial cannibis plants.

frete50

Post by frete50 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:05 am

For my allergies I drink Traditional Medicinals - Breath Easy. Tastes nasty but it works for me. It is an all natural herbal remedy.

Becky

justsharon

Post by justsharon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:12 pm

I use to take Allegra D and it worked pretty well. Then I ran out of my prescription and decided to try an over the counter med.....I tried an old favorite again, Drixoral. And it works. It works great. And I don't have to go see my doctor to get it.

Happy sleeping all.
Sharon

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:44 pm

Linda3032 wrote:Which brands are you getting, Jim? You can still buy many of the name brands, but the problem is that they have changed their ingredients. Like, you can still buy Actifed, but it has two entirely different ingredients than what it had in December of 2006. To me, they should of had to change the name.
I start at 11 P.M. with 1 Advil Cold & Sinus (Pseudoephedrine HCI 30 mg) New warning label. At 11:30 I take 1 Sudafed Maxium Strength Nasal Decongestant (Pseudoephedrine HCI 30 mg), Both these are controlled (old)versions.

AT midnight I take 2 Members Mark (Sam's) Allergy Tablets (Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride Antihistamine Tabs 25 mg) These are dirt cheap 400 for $3.22, and are not controlled.

The controlled ones are in the $7 to $8 range for 40 and 48 Tabs., not too bad but a hassle to buy.

The bad part is I'm not supposed to take any of it, but I've got use to breathing. If I take them at the correct times, it buys me a fair night on the hose. In the daytime, I leave off the med's and suffer, all year. Jim

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:51 pm

NightHawkeye wrote:Linda,

If you're interested in a gentler approach to resolving allergies, try Vitamin C and Quercetin, both have anti-histamine like properties. Since there are some worthless brands on the market, I'll mention that I use the Natrol brand of buffered Ester-C and usually take 500 mg to 1 G per day. I use the Jerrod (sp?) brand of Quercetin, but all the brands of pure Quercetin I've found are good. The worthless brands are the ones which have Quercetin in combination with other ingredients. I usually take around 500 mg of Quercetin daily.

Walgreen's carries the Natrol brand of Vitamin C. Quercetin can be found at just about all health food stores, but I don't think the fashionable mall stores like GNC carry it.
I do the Ester-C too, 2,000 units plus 1,000 units of timed released at bed. I'll look up some Quercetin, can't hurt. Jim

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:57 pm

Linda-Singulair is my baseline med for my year round allergies-fortunately I can tolerate nasal sprays again since being on CPAP because I need flonase when the pollen count is high. Sometimes I add zyrtec when the pollen is really bad. Singulair is frequently thought of as an asthma med-but is indicated for rhinitis as well. Before CPAP and heated humidifier I used all three most of the year. There are lots of OTC allergy meds too-so buy small amounts-or get samples from MD-and start trying them out to see what works for you. Like CPAP masks-none of them work for everyone.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

imacpappro

Post by imacpappro » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:07 pm

Singulair for me....I take one every AM. Walked outside Monday and saw the car covered in yellow pollen, looked like yellow dust, and wished I had taken two....

One usually does the trick but two when allergies pull out the big guns.

ICP

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:55 pm

NHE

i, too, prefer the kinder gentler approach, and i'd forgotten about the quercedin...that worked for me, too! along with the moducare...thanks for reminding me

sharon1965

deebatt

Post by deebatt » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:51 pm

tried just about every rx and over the counter allergy med in the past 25 years. 18 months ago i finally began weekly allergy injections. For the first time in years i havent had any seasonal sinus infections and drastically decreasing my oral meds. Ive been taking antihistimenes (currently allegra) daily for years and im finally at the point where i only need to take occasionally, maybe once a week or even less. I still use nasal steriods spray (nasonex or nasacort) but im finding that now i can cut the dosage in half and use them only at the worst times of the year (spring and fall). Between the success of the allergy injections and success with the CPAP i'm feeling so much better i could do cartwheels!!!!!

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:21 pm

that's great to hear, deebatt, i'm really considering starting the shots after i recover from my septoplasty...good to know someone has had success with that!