New CPAP user can't stop sneezing. Help!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pammieb

New CPAP user can't stop sneezing. Help!

Post by pammieb » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:09 pm

I have just spent two nights on a loaner machine (before getting my own equipment). I have been sneezing and sniffling all day. Is this normal? Many thanks for any help you can give.

Sleepy Boy

Re: New CPAP user can't stop sneezing. Help!

Post by Sleepy Boy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi Pammieb: I started sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes etc. I tried nose sprays, Ayr-Rhinocourt-etc. No help. I finally got some stuff called Loratadine 10mg. I got it at Walmart, and got the Equate brand ($4.00) I've been using it for about a month. Its a 24 hr. pill so I take it first thing in the morning. Its the only thing that helped me, if I miss a day, all the symptoms come back. Hope this helps you out. Larry

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:30 pm

First be sure you have clean filters in the machine.

Second if you use a humidifier, maybe turn it down a bit. If that doesn't help maybe turn it up a bit. It's for your comfort so set it where it makes you most comfortable.

Brenda

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:16 pm

There is a possiblity that the loaner machine has acquired some type of allergen that you are reacting to. I am assuming that the loaner is probably a used machine that has been cleaned and loaned out. Because we are all unique others might not have had a reaction to whatever it is you are. I know several years ago I took a first aide course to get cpr certified and instead of using alcohol to clean "Annie" they used small swabs that contained some type of bleach solution that was suppose to be more sanitary and clean more germs. When it was my turn, the first breath I took literally took my breath away and sent me into a full blown asthma attack. For the rest of the course the instructor had me using my "own" Annie that had been cleaned and aired. This prevented future attacks.

It could be you are reacting to some allergen from the cleaning method, carried in with the machine, etc. Check your filters to see if they have been replaced -- if not complain to the company that provided the machine.

Try taking an antihistamine to see if that relieves your symptoms as well.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

compuirv

Post by compuirv » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:19 pm

I just ordered the cradle cushion to replace te nasal pillows on my optilife by Respironics. I've been sneezing for months. Can't stand it any more. I think it is a combination of the pillow design and the water. I've tried every antihistamine and nasal spray I can find. If this doesn't work, I'd rather die in my sleep.

wlenz

Post by wlenz » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:04 pm

bdp522 wrote:First be sure you have clean filters in the machine.

Second if you use a humidifier, maybe turn it down a bit. If that doesn't help maybe turn it up a bit. It's for your comfort so set it where it makes you most comfortable.

Brenda
I agree with Brenda. I stopped using my humidifier as soon as the warm weather arrived and the relative humidity increased during the warm summer months. The sneezing, watery eyes, and runny nose were severe. A visit with the sleep doc was scheduled for the end of June and I asked him about the problem. His immediate comment was, "Are you using the humidifier?" Having distilled water in the tank helps trap allergens, dust, etc. that get through the filter. Since I did not need to increase the moisture in the air, I used passover mode, and this solved my problem.
Let us know if you find the solution to your problem.
Bill
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, And that is to have either a clear conscience, or none at all.

Ogden Nash

pammieb

Post by pammieb » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks to all for responding. This was my first post post-severe apnea diagnosis. it's very nice to know there is a group out there that can help out with these kinds of questions.

I did try a Claritin last night and in my case, it seems to have made all the difference today. Thanks again. I am sure I will have a lot of questions.

Regards to all, PammieB

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:06 pm

pammieb wrote:I have just spent two nights on a loaner machine (before getting my own equipment). I have been sneezing and sniffling all day. Is this normal? Many thanks for any help you can give.
I would call and report it to the DME, could be something they sprayed on the machine to clean it, take the filter out of the back of the machine, wash the foam part and dry it in a towel. If it has a fine filter behind the foam, remove it and put it in a plastic sandwich bag to give back when you return the machine.

Wash the mask in dish soap or other mild soap you use around the house that doesn't irritate you. Just remove the headgear to wash the mask, do NOT take it apart. Give it the bar-glass wash treatment is all you have to do.

Do NOT use any nasal sprays, you may need a rhino rinse with a neti-pot and saline only solution like Neil-Med. For sneeze you need a antihistamine (Claratin, Zyratec, AllerClear etc.), cpap pressure might be pushing allergens inside the nose deeper in the sinuses causing the sneeze.

I would NOT use a combo Decongestant like Claritin-"D", those would overly dry you out and make it worse, use only a oral antihistamine like Loratadine.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

stevef1007

Post by stevef1007 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:09 am

I'm thinking about going from a nasal mask to a full face mask, but for one reason, and I'm hoping somebody here can help me. I've been on the cpap for 5 months, and have stuck with it. The problem is that I am having terrible problems with sneezing and a runny nose, many times for hours on end. The only medicine that has alleviated this problem so far are just temporary solutions because they are ones that I can't stay on, steroid packs, etc. All the ones I have tried that I could take permanently, pills and sprays, seem to have no effect, ie., Singular, Claritin, Benedryl, Xysal (sic), Veramyst, Nasonex, Nasocort, Astelin, etc. What the doctors say is that the cpap is drying me up so much during the night that when I take it off my body is trying to recuperate and is overdoing it. I have changed my humidifier (heated) setting in just the past couple of nights from 2 to 4, and haven't seen a real great advantage yet, although I don't know if it might take a while longer to see the long term effects. I have heard that going to a full face mask might help some since all the air (16cm) wouldn't be going thru my nasal passages, since I"m normally a mouth breather. Any ideas? Thanks.
Next time you're at church or a party, look around and count the number of people over 65 that weigh 300 pounds. There won't be any. They're all dead.

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:12 pm

stevef1007 wrote:I'm thinking about going from a nasal mask to a full face mask, but for one reason, and I'm hoping somebody here can help me. I've been on the cpap for 5 months, and have stuck with it. The problem is that I am having terrible problems with sneezing and a runny nose, many times for hours on end. The only medicine that has alleviated this problem so far are just temporary solutions because they are ones that I can't stay on, steroid packs, etc. All the ones I have tried that I could take permanently, pills and sprays, seem to have no effect, ie., Singular, Claritin, Benedryl, Xysal (sic), Veramyst, Nasonex, Nasocort, Astelin, etc. What the doctors say is that the cpap is drying me up so much during the night that when I take it off my body is trying to recuperate and is overdoing it. I have changed my humidifier (heated) setting in just the past couple of nights from 2 to 4, and haven't seen a real great advantage yet, although I don't know if it might take a while longer to see the long term effects. I have heard that going to a full face mask might help some since all the air (16cm) wouldn't be going thru my nasal passages, since I"m normally a mouth breather. Any ideas? Thanks.
Steve,

How do you prevent mouth breathing or mouth leaking with your nasal mask?

stevef1007 wrote: ........ What the doctors say is that the cpap is drying me up so much during the night ......
What evidence does the doctor have of "drying up"?

Can you add your equipment to your profile? That could change the responses you get here.

stevef1007 wrote:........ I've been on the cpap for 5 months, and have stuck with it. ........
Great!

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

stevef1007

Post by stevef1007 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:58 pm

rooster wrote:
stevef1007 wrote:I'm thinking about going from a nasal mask to a full face mask, but for one reason, and I'm hoping somebody here can help me. I've been on the cpap for 5 months, and have stuck with it. The problem is that I am having terrible problems with sneezing and a runny nose, many times for hours on end. The only medicine that has alleviated this problem so far are just temporary solutions because they are ones that I can't stay on, steroid packs, etc. All the ones I have tried that I could take permanently, pills and sprays, seem to have no effect, ie., Singular, Claritin, Benedryl, Xysal (sic), Veramyst, Nasonex, Nasocort, Astelin, etc. What the doctors say is that the cpap is drying me up so much during the night that when I take it off my body is trying to recuperate and is overdoing it. I have changed my humidifier (heated) setting in just the past couple of nights from 2 to 4, and haven't seen a real great advantage yet, although I don't know if it might take a while longer to see the long term effects. I have heard that going to a full face mask might help some since all the air (16cm) wouldn't be going thru my nasal passages, since I"m normally a mouth breather. Any ideas? Thanks.
Steve,

How do you prevent mouth breathing or mouth leaking with your nasal mask?

stevef1007 wrote: ........ What the doctors say is that the cpap is drying me up so much during the night ......
What evidence does the doctor have of "drying up"?

Can you add your equipment to your profile? That could change the responses you get here.

stevef1007 wrote:........ I've been on the cpap for 5 months, and have stuck with it. ........
Great!
I've just had to train myself to keep my mouth shut, which my wife thinks might be a great idea for my awake hours, as well. I'm sure that from time to time I'm letting my mouth open and closing it again, but I guess I'm sleeping well enough that it's not waking me up enough to realize. I used a chin strap for the first 2 or 3 months, but have quit using it now. Oh, and I haven't really had any leakage problems, either noticeable or according to the "smart card" info.

As far as evidence, I guess just the fact that I'm not allergic to anything, determined after a pretty long drawn out analysis at a allergy clinic (man, I hate needles), plus the fact that I've got these allergy like symptoms almost immediately after removing my mask, my pressure setting, (16) and that apparently this problem is not really uncommon. Also, I've never had this problem before, only now, at the age of 54, which started the day after my first night on the cpap. The allergies analysis results didn't surprise anybody, just needed to do it to make sure and rule out that possibility as an issue. Once that was determined, my family doctor, my ent guy, my dme, and the allergy doctor all seem to agree that it's because the cpap is drying me out during the night and upon awakening and removing, my body is responding to the total lack of moisture and going bonkers, to to speak.

Not sure I'm smart enough to add equipment to my profile, but machine is a Remstar Plus with built in heated humidifier and mask is a Mirage Activa, if that helps.

Thanks for the response and encouragement.
Next time you're at church or a party, look around and count the number of people over 65 that weigh 300 pounds. There won't be any. They're all dead.

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:22 pm

Steve,

I am not familiar with the Remstar Plus model but according to cpap.com there is no data card.

How are you getting data?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

stevef1007

Post by stevef1007 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:12 pm

rooster wrote:Steve,

I am not familiar with the Remstar Plus model but according to cpap.com there is no data card.

OK, I"m home now and checked and I was wrong. It's the REMstar Pro M series with heated humidifier and smart card. Sorry, new to this stuff. By the way, I went to my DME this afternoon and tried on some full face mask, finally found one that didn't seem to be leaking, although had to be ratcheted down pretty good. Different "feel" but might give a try. First she is going to order a mask for mouth breathers that just covers my mouth and see how that does, since I'm normally a mouth breather. The risk, I suppose, is if after conditioning myself for 5 months to be a nose breather, if I do that with the mouth mask I won't be getting any cpap pressure to keep my airway open, but I would think the pressure being stopped because I shut my mouth that I would wake up, either due to pressure on my lips or leakage? Anyway, we'll see. I just gotta figure out something to stop these allergy-like symptoms. Thanks, Rooster.

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:52 pm

stevef1007 wrote:
rooster wrote:Steve,

OK, I"m home now and checked and I was wrong. It's the REMstar Pro M series with heated humidifier and smart card. Sorry, new to this stuff. By the way, I went to my DME this afternoon and tried on some full face mask, finally found one that didn't seem to be leaking, although had to be ratcheted down pretty good. Different "feel" but might give a try. First she is going to order a mask for mouth breathers that just covers my mouth and see how that does, since I'm normally a mouth breather. The risk, I suppose, is if after conditioning myself for 5 months to be a nose breather, if I do that with the mouth mask I won't be getting any cpap pressure to keep my airway open, but I would think the pressure being stopped because I shut my mouth that I would wake up, either due to pressure on my lips or leakage? Anyway, we'll see. I just gotta figure out something to stop these allergy-like symptoms. Thanks, Rooster.
1. OK that is excellent that you have a machine with data card. What do your AHIs and leak look like?

2. A full face mask that has to be "ratcheted down pretty good" does either not fit properly, is not adjusted properly, or is just inappropriate for you. Most of us make the mistake as beginners that the mask has to be tight to prevent leaks. When everything is sized and adjusted properly, a well-designed mask will be worn relatively loose and it will not leak.

3. The DME must be ordering the Oracle HC452 Oral CPAP Mask, https://www.cpap.com/simple-find-cpap-p ... /oral.html . You will not find many people on the forum that are successfully using this mask. Most people do not breathe exclusively with their mouth. Also, since the nose is not covered, pressure can leak out the nose. When this happens the machine is often not able to maintain an effective pressure and the airway collapses (apnea).

I know that drainage/sneezing is a big problem for you but I believe that it is not strictly a matter of using the wrong mask and changing the mask could make things worse. You are being told cpap is drying you out. Would you have described it this way before you were told that? Does your nose feel dry (or crusty) upon arising? Is your throat dry or sore? Is your machine a clean, new one or a used rental? Does your machine have clean filters? What climate are you in? Humid or dry? Does the heat or air conditioner run a lot? What do your AHIs and leak look like?

Regards,

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:56 pm

BTW, cpap.com is a great internet DME with excellent pricing and good customer service. They are also the owners of cpaptalk.com. Their web site is a good resource for comparing different masks and other CPAP equipment.

Many people without insurance or with high deductibles purchase happily from cpap.com.