S9 Auto vs Manual

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jrfoster

S9 Auto vs Manual

Post by jrfoster » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:40 pm

What is the difference if I have my machine set at auto, which I am told is 80 degrees for the tube and 3 for the humidifier vs setting it on manual at 80 degrees and 3? Does auto do anything else that a manual set up doesn't? Thanks.

sol

Re: S9 Auto vs Manual

Post by sol » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:58 pm

jrfoster wrote:What is the difference if I have my machine set at auto, which I am told is 80 degrees for the tube and 3 for the humidifier vs setting it on manual at 80 degrees and 3? Does auto do anything else that a manual set up doesn't? Thanks.
you only set temp on auto mode and it protects against rainout while manual mode don,t

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:08 pm

If you have it set to manual, YOU get to choose the settings. Sometimes, auto isn't the best setting for everybody. I had to increase my humidity to 5. And I change the temp depending on the weather. I had it cooler during the summer, and I have turned it up a bit since the weather has gotten cooler.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:57 pm

sol wrote:
jrfoster wrote:What is the difference if I have my machine set at auto, which I am told is 80 degrees for the tube and 3 for the humidifier vs setting it on manual at 80 degrees and 3? Does auto do anything else that a manual set up doesn't? Thanks.
you only set temp on auto mode and it protects against rainout while manual mode don,t
That sounds weird. I would think the exact same settings would provide the same performance? Am I missing something?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:06 pm

I think of it as a matter of choice; I tried manual setting, and find auto works better for me.
It is simpler, too.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:58 pm

I know about CPAP vs APAP modes but not about the humidifier and air tube.

p.s. doesn't the bottom of the cushion of the Activa cut your skin above the upper lip? It does it to me, and that's why can't use it.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:08 pm

avi123 wrote:

I know about CPAP vs APAP modes but not about the humidifier and air tube.

p.s. doesn't the bottom of the cushion of the Activa cut your skin above the upper lip? It does it to me, and that's why can't use it.
No, the Mirage Activa cushion is the most comfortable mask I have found in the last 6 years. I have never had a problem with it cutting into my face. I wear the standard size and like to fit it loose. When inflated it seals with no problem and I can turn over all night long and not lose my seal and wake up with no marks or cuts. Make sure you have the right size cushion and one that is too small.