Question on Resmed S8 Elite II

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
freedive57

Re: oximeter

Post by freedive57 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:31 am

pianomagoo wrote:

... If you have the oximeter you can also get the readings for that.
do you have a link to any info about the oximeter? What's the model number, how much did it cost, are any aftermarket oximeters compatible, etc?

I'd like to add one to my S8 but this is the first I've heard it was possible.

thanks in advance

Bruce
We'll laugh about this someday; we might as well start now.

Slinky

Re: Question on Resmed S8 Elite II

Post by Slinky » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:12 pm

So far as I know you need the S8 ResLink in order to use an oximeter that reports in ResScan 3.4. About $186 for the S8 ResLink.
Then you need the oximeter. You can use the Embla Oximeter Spirit PMM Kit, Product # 1430050. About $250.
This kit consists of the Emblet 7000 XPod and Sensor (in this case the Flex Sensor 8000J-3). Part numbers 1430000 and 1431002. I'm not wild about the Flex Sensor and would rather have the Finger Clip Sensor but am not sure about its cost. I am going to look into changing the Sensor.

So my setup consists of:
Resmed VPAP Auto
Resmed S8 ResLink
Emblet XPod 7000
Embla Flex Sensor 8000J-3
ResScan 3.4 software
Cable reader

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

2paps

Post by 2paps » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:23 pm

Their Final Answer: ResMed now says that the S8 Elite II is not meant to not show a pressure reading in the daily Efficacy Data! How this is an improvement over the S8 Elite, i don't know. Machine is on its way back to us.

Funny that 3 different techs said it was a problem before.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:40 pm

I still say it is an internal software "bug" and that they are just now becoming aware of it from those of us who have contacted them. It remains to be seen if they rectify that as they continue to produce the S8 IIs. Those of you having this problem should keep a record of the internal software version and if and when the time comes people get later manufactured S8 IIs and "don't" have this problem you/we can compare internal software versions.

Just a thought anyway.

Matter of fact, Resmed really should make up their mind just "what" an S8 II is. For instance, my Resmed VPAP Auto was first introduced in January '08. It was never referred to as an S8 II in their literature until just recently but it does have the new EasyBreathe technology. Then July 2008 they made the Resmed S8 II VPAP Auto 25. Essentially the same device but w/an extra top end 5 cms.

My Resmed VPAP Auto "does" provide the 95th Percentile Pressure in the Efficacy Data menu. Yet those of you w/the various S8 IIs seem to be encountering the problem w/the missing Pressure report in Efficacy Data menu. So, what? My Resmed VPAP Auto is in reality a Resmed S8 1 1/2??

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

skjansen

Post by skjansen » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:45 pm

[quote="2paps"]Their Final Answer: ResMed now says that the S8 Elite II is not meant to not show a pressure reading in the daily Efficacy Data! How this is an improvement over the S8 Elite, i don't know. Machine is on its way back to us.

If it is not meant to show a pressure reading in the efficacy data menu then why do "pressure" show up in that menu at all????

skjansen

Post by skjansen » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:45 pm

[quote="2paps"]Their Final Answer: ResMed now says that the S8 Elite II is not meant to not show a pressure reading in the daily Efficacy Data! How this is an improvement over the S8 Elite, i don't know. Machine is on its way back to us.

If it is not meant to show a pressure reading in the efficacy data menu then why do "pressure" show up in that menu at all????

skjansen

Post by skjansen » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:07 pm

My ResMed Auto II does the same thing when I program it into straight CPAP mode. In APAP it gives the daily pressure along with all the other data. I'm wondering if this is some "bug" in the newer models. I went back to using my machine in APAP mode last week and noticed that when I turn on my machine at night the screen does not display the WELCOME intro but rather the display for Mask Fit. What's going on?

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:01 pm

Mask Fit is usually the result of pressing and holding the Start button.

tchuster

Post by tchuster » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:51 pm

I am new and I have an Autoset. How do I get to display all those data on the LCD? My unit only displays minimal info.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:31 pm

IF SmartData has been turned on in the Clinician's Menu, you can press the Left and Right buttons and hold for 3-4 seconds. Efficacy Data will appear on the LCD screen. From there on it is a matter of Left button to Enter, Right button to Exit, Up botton to return to the previous screen and Down button to proceed to the next screen. IF you do this BEFORE noon.

These devices have an internal, 24 hour, noon to noon, clock. At noon the previous night's data is rolled over into the total averages and will no longer be available via the LCD screen. In addition, you should allow it 15 minutes after being shut off before checking the data to give the device time to do its math. Otherwise the data "might" not yet be up to date for the duration of the night.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:03 pm

WHy doesn't the Autoset respond to Apneas that occur over a pressure of 10?
Also, the Autoset spikes pressure severely when it sees an apnea. Doesn't that cause you to wake up? If you look at a report, it looks like a bunch of spikes vs. more of a solid line like the Auto with A-FLex.

jnk

Post by jnk » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Guest wrote:WHy doesn't the Autoset respond to Apneas that occur over a pressure of 10?
Also, the Autoset spikes pressure severely when it sees an apnea. Doesn't that cause you to wake up? If you look at a report, it looks like a bunch of spikes vs. more of a solid line like the Auto with A-FLex.
There is no need to respond to an event that does not occur, and ResMed's theory is that if you react to hypopneas and snore, you will prevent apneas. The algorithm is desnigned to be preemptive in the Autoset machines. It may not work for everyone, but it works for me.

Speed of reaction is a complicated thing. Too slow is too slow. Too fast is too fast. Judgment on such matters is subjective and individual. I haven't read complaints about Autoset waking people up, though.

Will auto algorithms be better in the future? I would think so. Is Autoset pretty good? It is for me.

jnk

Busa

Post by Busa » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:54 pm

After two weeks of talking to 3 people in technical support and a clinical technician from ResMed multiple times, I finally talked to the person that is over the technical service dept and got everyone an answer. I was asking about the "NO DATA" for the pressure when reviewing the previous nights data. The response was that in the older version this was to show the pressure average for the night. When they came out with the S8 Elite II, they disabled this feature. So for everyone wondering why this says no data, ResMed's infinite wisdom dictated that they disable the feature, leave it in the LCD screen, prompt people to think the machine is faulty, and return the machine.
Kind of makes me curious why they would leave it in the LCD. The funny thing is that if you look at the statistics in the software, it will show the median and the maximum pressure.

I hope this clears up some confusion.

-Busa

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:44 pm

Horsepuckies! Resmeds have NEVER reported the AVERAGE pressure via the LCD screen! They've reported the 95th percentile of pressure via the LCD screen and the 95th percentile, Maximum and Median pressures via the software.