Question on Resmed S8 Elite II

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
skjansen

Post by skjansen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:35 am

2paps:

Did they give him an explanation as to what was wrong? Has he received his new unit and does it give him the pressure data now? Please let me know. Thanks!

skjansen

Post by skjansen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:41 am

Also, I have a call in to me DME to see if they have heard of this. 2paps really threw me when she said her husband was told to send this back because of this. I want to make sure my machine is working properly.

Busa

Post by Busa » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:50 am

I just called resmed after a few times of being put on hold, he asked me what my leak rate was. I told him that it has been either .02 or .00 and he stated that the flow sensor was probably messed up and to send it back. I asked if I should go through the DME and he said yes.

Looks like I will be calling the DME now.

-busa

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:53 am

Thanks, jnk. That is a new page since I first looked it over before requesting that particuar bi-level. That would have been back in March of this year. It had just been made available in January 08. At the time I first read the Resmed page on the VPAP Auto, it didn't even refer to it as an S8 either, just the Resmed VPAP Auto w/EasyBreathe technology.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:59 am

Ha! My local DME (the original one, the sheister) wouldn't replace my CPAP until I called Resmed. Resmed told me to take it back to them for replacement and asked who they were. When I took it in for replacment, they weren't happy but obviously Resmed had contacted them, 'cause they gave me no guff that time and just handled the replacement as they should have in the first place. Well, even then they didn't handle it well but they did take care of it.

I've found Resmed very good to work with. But that original local DME supplier ..... typical of those so many here have run into. Real sheisters.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

skjansen

Post by skjansen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:28 pm

Okay, I talked to Resmed. Interestingly enough they were less than helpful also. I just must not be asking the right questions. The tech person kept telling me that I would not see data after noon. Okay, I get that, but the fact of the matter is I also saw the "no data" on pressure when I looked at 2:00 this morning, also when I woke up and at 1:00 today. I finally convinced the guy that I had checked my machine on numerous occassions before noon and I still it said "no data".

So, he did ask me if the "smart data" was turned on for my machine. Well, you would assume it would be since the resp therapist set it up. Fact of the matter is, however, it had not been turned on. The tech said I could not reach that menu myself but low and behold when I tried it I was able to turn it on. This is how I did it.

Go to clinical menu
scroll down to options
press enter
brings up smart data
turned on mask fit
turned on pressure
turned on usage
turned on "auto appear"

The tech told me to have my DME turn on the "auto appear" to see if that will get more info on the LCD. So, I have turned it on and I think I will go see if this works. I will let you know.

2paps

Post by 2paps » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:05 pm

sk, my husband's S8 Elite II is still back in the hands of ResMed. This was done through his DME. He was given a loaner Remstar with no instructions, but it is better than nothing.

Smart data was turned on (on his S8 Elite II). All the other readings came up, just not the pressure.

My machine is an S8 Elite (not II), and I have had no such problems with it. Efficacy Data is easier to access on the S8.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:09 pm

2paps wrote: ... He was given a loaner Remstar with no instructions, but it is better than nothing. ... Efficacy Data is easier to access on the S8.
Ha! It sounds like your hubby's DME supplier and my first were the same or affiliated companies!!!!!! I was given a loaner RemStar w/no instructions AND NO HUMIDIFIER in the dead of the winter heating season!!!

You find the data easier to access on your S8 than his S8 II??? In what way? I'm finding no difference in ease of access between my S8 Elite, S8 AutoSet Vantage and S8 II VPAP Auto!

Of course, the first thing I did was go thru the Clinicians Menu and turn everything to my liking - except that darn SmartStart. On this S8 II VPAP Auto you CAN'T turn it OFF! Grrrrrrrr.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:33 pm

jnk wrote: ... And I think your assumption to be logical--there would be no need to tell you your pressure since your machine is running as a cpap. It would naturally be the pressure it is set at. I would assume that the 95 cnt treatment pressure would only need to be reported in an auto machine running in auto mode.
The S8 Elite and S8 AutoSet Vantage both reported the 95th percentile pressure.

Not only EPR but also the leak rate affects the reported 95th percentile pressure.

The xPAPs can compensate quite nicely for leaks up to a point, of course. But the Elite, a straight CPAP, could compensate up to .8 cm of pressure HIGHER THAN THE SET PRESSURE and that would be reflected in the reported 95th percentile pressure. In other words, tho my set pressure was 8 cms, on several occasions early on after starting CPAP therapy, I had a reported pressure of 8.8 cms. Mind you, that was the ELITE, not the Vantage.

skjansen

Post by skjansen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:00 am

Okay, so after making all of the changes that Resmed suggested yesterday, I still go the "no data" comment on pressure when I look at the LCD screen. I do not know if my machine is just not functioning properly or if this is just a glitch that Resmed either is not aware of or has not worked out.

I am going to try to call them again in hopes that I get someone who actually knows something about the machine today.

skjansen

Post by skjansen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:09 am

I called Resmed and the tech did not have an answer to my question, but he has emailed his main office to get an answer. When I hear back from them I will let you guys know.

pianomagoo

Post by pianomagoo » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:40 pm

Busa wrote:You are right for the weely data. It averages out for the week. Mine said no data until the week was up.

I am as curious as the rest of you on the Pressure readout. Mine has said no data since day one. This will be an interesting one to find out....

-Busa
Standard, (I don't know your name but I think that is what the characters read in Cantonese). Am I wrong?

I have an S8 Elite and I can read my pressures.

Hold down right button and press bottom button and it will bring you to the clinicians menu.

If you have the ResScan software, card reader and data you can get readings of all detailed data such as AHI, HI, AI, leaks, set pressure, and med or 95 percentile and max pressures on a daily basis. If you have the oximeter you can also get the readings for that. You get summaries, detailed data, reports, statistics, and there is a place for notes.

I think the software is good. I can't compare it with others as I am not familiar with other software.

If you don't have the software, you need ver 3.5 for Vista, order the 3.3 ver at cpap.com then go to Resmed support Austrailia for updated software version 3.5. I don't think cpap.com sells it yet.

Anne

Busa

Post by Busa » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:29 am

pianomagoo wrote:
Standard, (I don't know your name but I think that is what the characters read in Cantonese). Am I wrong?
I ride a custom hayabusa daily and I have aquired the nickname busa because of it. The symbol in Japanese means Paragrin Falcon which is the fastest bird and looks like:

skjansen

Post by skjansen » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:02 am

Anna:

I have the Resmed S8 Elite II. The pressure still is showing up as "no data" when I go into the LCD screen. Also, apparently the software for the Elite II is versions 3.5 which is not available to patients yet.

Resmed is supposed to be getting back to me on why the pressure data is not showing up on the LCD screen.

2paps

Re: Question on Resmed S8 Elite II

Post by 2paps » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:23 am

Update - Husband's S8 Elite II was sent back to ResMed by DME for that very reason: Pressure showed "0", when accessing Efficacy Data. All other readings were OK. ResMed Tech said machine should be sent back.

Well, DME heard from ResMed, they said machine was on its way back. They said they were "able to access data through smart card." They misunderstood the problem! I am assuming the problem will still be there when we get it back, in which case it will be sent back to ResMed a second time.