Does Drooling Mean I Am A Mouth Breather?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JennyLouWho

Post by JennyLouWho » Wed May 16, 2007 9:42 pm

Hey all! First of all, let me say a great big THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all on this site! I still feel as though I am bombarded with information, but I am trying to learn as much as possible, although I am still so ignorant on alot of the terminology used. I am getting there! I have a couple of questions: 1.) If I wake up with drool (as I often do and have for a couple of years) does that mean that I am a mouth breather? I suspect that I am, which probably means I need a FF mask or need to tape my mouth; neither of which appeals to me for I am extremely claustrophobic. 2.) If having OSA means insurance will no longer cover you (I am assuming this is life insurance and not medical insurance), then is OSA a plausible reason for a disability claim? I have tried to get disability for a couple of years now and have been denied twice. I also have CAD, diabetes, Atrial Fibrillation, and COPD. (You would think that these would be enough to get disability, but apparently not). Anyway, any help with these questions would be very helpful. I am now going on week 4 with CPAP. The first week was horrible, 2nd week went pretty well actually, but since the 3rd week, I have only been averaging 4 hrs. of sleep a night. Don't know why, but I am gonna stick with it. Through this forum and chat I have learned enough about OSA to know that it could easily kill me. Thanks again to everyone!

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Wed May 16, 2007 10:26 pm

If you also have dry mouth when you wake, it may indicate mouth leaks. The only way to really tell is by using a machine that provides you with useful data ... the one you have listed on your profile does not.

I'll let someone else respond to the insurance question(s).

Anyway, welcome to the gang ... hang out here for a while and you will get the help you need to get your treatment set up properly.

Best of luck!
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

blarg

Post by blarg » Wed May 16, 2007 10:28 pm

The best way to tell if you're mouth breathing/leaking is if you wake up with the symptoms (bone dry mouth), or by looking at the leaks on your software printout.

Drooling doesn't automatically mean mouth breathing/leaking. Just because your mouth is open doesn't mean that air is rushing out. The soft pallate can seal against the back of the tongue, which is the best way to not have mouth leaking.

I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu May 17, 2007 9:09 am

Usually, it means I'm dreaming about Val Kilmer again...

Seriously though, I've been a drooly mouth breather all my life. I soak the pillow. This has been a major life change for me.

I wear a chin strap, but I'm still drooling just a little bit. I suspect I'm sort of oozing out of my lips because of my tongue thrusting against my teeth. But until I can get a machine that records LEAKAGE, or someone videotapes me and sees my mouth is open, who the heck knows for sure?

My drool right now is pretty minor. I notice it and tend to wake a little, wipe it out of the chin strap, and roll over and go back to sleep.

And yes, I CAN tell the difference between the sweat the chinstrap develops and the drool. The drool is more viscous.

LOL,
B.

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Thu May 17, 2007 10:01 am

Babette,
Adding the adhesive strips to my lips in addition to the chin strap, stopped the drooling for me.

TerryB

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu May 17, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks! I prefer the drool.
B.

linda b

Post by linda b » Thu May 17, 2007 9:17 pm

I also use Poligrip Strips and still drool a little out of the corners of my mouth. The best interpretation I can make of the Encore Pro numbers is that I am NOT mouth breathing because the leak rates are well within what is expected for my mask. My theory is that if a mouth breather gets a really dry mouth because of all the air blowing out of their mouth, then for those who do not mouth breathe and have the air going down their throat, that leasves the mouth 'free' to produce all that lovely drool!!!!

Linda B.

st3v3k4hn

Mouth breathing

Post by st3v3k4hn » Thu May 17, 2007 11:08 pm

This may be a dumb question but does mouth breathing refer to breathing out of the mouth, breathing in thru the mouth, or both? It seems to me like it wouldn't be so bad (wearing a nose-only type mask) if you breathed in your nose and out your mouth, but thats probably not true???
Steve

blarg

Post by blarg » Fri May 18, 2007 12:25 am

It refers to any air passing in any direction through the mouth.

The problem with breathing out through the mouth is that you then depresurize your airway. A lot of apneas happen right at the very beginning of inhale, which means that your throat will be given the opportunity to close. Unless your mouth magically closes and completely seals to repressurize the airway, then congratulations, you just had an apnea.

That's why we like to make sure the mouth isn't leaking air at all period, or that you're using a full face mask.
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

JennyLouWho

Post by JennyLouWho » Fri May 18, 2007 5:17 am

Thank you all for your quick responses!

Dream stalker: No, I don't wake up with the dry mouth. I did the first couple of days of masking up, but not since. I seem to have a dry, sore nose more than the dry mouth. I turned up my humidifier from 2 to 3 or 4 and this seems to have taken care of this problem. Thank you very much for the welcome!

blarg: My hubby says my mouth is not open near as much now as it used to be (was like the Grand Canyon before CPAP!) Barely open now he says. Hopefully, this means no future FF mask!

Babette: First of all let me say, I LOVE your posts! You have a great sense of humor! Maybe my drooling is, like you say, dreaming of some hunky man (in my case it would be Christopher Miloni, or the CSI Las Vegas guy, or, oh yeah, my husband! guess I am older than you!) I got a chin strap when I got my machine, but only attempted to use it for the first 2 nights. Was too uncomfortable, hot, and itchy. I couldn't seem to get it adjusted correctly...or something.

lindab: I, like Babette. prefer drooling over using the chin strap and the thought of taping my mouth, well, actually terrifies me! (claustrophobia)

Another question/comment: You can see by my profile the mask I use (Ultra Mirage II) and I can still sleep on my side...almost as well as I can without the mask. But, I DO wake up with very unattractive "pressure" lines around my nose, that go away in a couple of hours and..well, it makes my face sore, although that is getting better. I am sure this probably is not good for the life of the mask, but if it helps me sleep in ANY way, hey, I will do it! My question is: I am seeking recommendations on good face masks (as opposed to nasal pillows which my doc. won't let me use) that are good for side sleepers. While I am not extremely satisfied with my current mask, I am reluctant to get another because I am afraid that I will absolutely HATE the next one. My insurance won't allow me to get one but every 6 mths. anyway, unless I want to buy one out of pocket, which I may consider doing, and use the Mirage as a back-up.

Thanks to everyone again!

JennyLouWho

Post by JennyLouWho » Fri May 18, 2007 5:24 am

Dream stalker: No, I don't wake up with the dry mouth. I did the first couple of days of masking up, but not since. I seem to have a dry, sore nose more than the dry mouth. I turned up my humidifier from 2 to 3 or 4 and this seems to have taken care of this problem. Thank you very much for the welcome!

blarg: My hubby says my mouth is not open near as much now as it used to be (was like the Grand Canyon before CPAP!) Barely open now he says. Hopefully, this means no future FF mask!

Babette: First of all let me say, I LOVE your posts! You have a great sense of humor! Maybe my drooling is, like you say, dreaming of some hunky man (in my case it would be Christopher Miloni, or the CSI Las Vegas guy, or, oh yeah, my husband! guess I am older than you!) I got a chin strap when I got my machine, but only attempted to use it for the first 2 nights. Was too uncomfortable, hot, and itchy. I couldn't seem to get it adjusted correctly...or something.

lindab: I, like Babette. prefer drooling over using the chin strap and the thought of taping my mouth, well, actually terrifies me! (claustrophobia)

Another question/comment: You can see by my profile the mask I use (Ultra Mirage II) and I can still sleep on my side...almost as well as I can without the mask. But, I DO wake up with very unattractive "pressure" lines around my nose, that go away in a couple of hours and..well, it makes my face sore, although that is getting better. I am sure this probably is not good for the life of the mask, but if it helps me sleep in ANY way, hey, I will do it! My question is: I am seeking recommendations on good face masks (as opposed to nasal pillows which my doc. won't let me use) that are good for side sleepers. While I am not extremely satisfied with my current mask, I am reluctant to get another because I am afraid that I will absolutely HATE the next one. My insurance won't allow me to get one but every 6 mths. anyway, unless I want to buy one out of pocket, which I may consider doing, and use the Mirage as a back-up.

JennyLouWho

Post by JennyLouWho » Fri May 18, 2007 5:28 am

JennyLouWho

Post by JennyLouWho » Fri May 18, 2007 7:30 am

Sorry all about the triple post...as you can tell, I was having posting issues! Again, so sorry!

st3v3k4hn

Mouth Breathing

Post by st3v3k4hn » Sat May 19, 2007 1:19 pm

blarg wrote:It refers to any air passing in any direction through the mouth. The problem with breathing out through the mouth is that you then depresurize your airway. A lot of apneas happen right at the very beginning of inhale, which means that your throat will be given the opportunity to close. Unless your mouth magically closes and completely seals to repressurize the airway, then congratulations, you just had an apnea. That's why we like to make sure the mouth isn't leaking air at all period, or that you're using a full face mask.
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. So, final question, will any and all mouth breathing show up as a leak in Encore Pro? Thanks...
Steve

Elle

Post by Elle » Sat May 19, 2007 4:53 pm

I was going to say that I really like my mirage activa mask but then I looked at a picture of your ultra mirage and am now wondering if that one is better.....t o anyone who has used both?