tap, tap , tap, is this thing on?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dave2you

tap, tap , tap, is this thing on?

Post by Dave2you » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:39 pm

another odd observation...

Did you ever notice that it seems that after you get used to the CPAP it seems at times that the pressure is so much less than when you first put it on.

Almost like your wondering if there is some mad leak you can't detect, when you first donned it, then it felt like air was being shoved down your throat, now its barely noticable..

We almost need a sniglet for the effect.. (I am showing my age here)

Like flow tilt...

Pressure - use = flow tilt

If you have a 14 pressure rating, in one hour it will feel like 13, in 5 hours you would swear you lost pressure and its 9, by morning it feels more like gone, and you can't seem to get enough air.

Your not insane, your suffering flow tilt, hehee your not leaking, just getting used to it, so it seems the pressure is tilting down

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Last edited by Dave2you on Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kavanaugh1950

Post by kavanaugh1950 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:42 pm

It's true, I keep putting my hand over the vents to check for air flow. LOL pat

robbieh

Post by robbieh » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:44 pm

I reach up to see if the mask fell off or disconnected... lately I look to see if I tipped it over too lol

Stefernie

Post by Stefernie » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:12 pm

OMG this is happening to me too!

My pressure is 9, which is strong, but not super strong....I used to hardly be able to breathe against it, but now I keep having to check to see if it's on.

Shari

Post by Shari » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:23 pm

When I was first diagnosed I was put on straight CPAP pressure of 18. The sleep tech and doctors kept telling me I probably would not be able to tolerate that pressure and would need to be switched to BiPAP. By the end of my second week I was so comfortable with it I would wake up and check to see if the machine was still running.

Flow tilt - explains our increasing comfort levels with higher pressure.

Sergey45

Re: tap, tap , tap, is this thing on?

Post by Sergey45 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:39 pm

Dave2you wrote:another odd observation...

Did you ever notice that it seems that after you get used to the CPAP it seems at times that the pressure is so much less than when you first put it on.
Yes, true. At the very beginning of CPAP treatment I felt like some sort of party balloon somebody trying to inflate. It was not that comfortable feeling. However after about 3 weeks of treatment it had disappeared. Now in order to check if air is still flowing I am just opening my mouth for a moment. It comes with experience.
Sergey.

JennyLouWho

Post by JennyLouWho » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:48 pm

WOW! This same thing is happening with me. I have been hosing up for a little over 2 mths. now. I still have to use the ramp when I first put the mask on every night (b/c of my claustrophobia, I am sure), but after that 1st use of the ramp, I am fine the rest of the night. I don't even notice when the pressure gets to 10! I, too, use the mouth opening method of making sure the machine is on! Ain't it great!!??

Patrick A

Re: tap, tap , tap, is this thing on?

Post by Patrick A » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:57 pm

Sergey45 wrote:
Dave2you wrote:another odd observation...

Yes, true. At the very beginning of CPAP treatment I felt like some sort of party balloon somebody trying to inflate. It was not that comfortable feeling. However after about 3 weeks of treatment it had disappeared. Now in order to check if air is still flowing I am just opening my mouth for a moment. It comes with experience.
Sergey.
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:37 am

I noticed the effect the night of titration. When they put on the mask breathing out felt like trying to blow up a ballon. When I took it off in the morning, I felt like I was trying to inhale glue for a couple of breaths. I note the switch back to regular air pressure is easier to adapt to than the machine pressure.

TerryB

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:38 am

Yes I do the same thing!!!! I used to wake up and think that my machine had shut off,but I was just so used to my pressure of 15

muld00n

Post by muld00n » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:55 am

I think Phase Shift would be an appropriate term for this phenomenon. Ists almost like the machine shifts into a mode that is less intrusive. On the other hand, it could be that our bodies and in particular our respritory system is shifting into sync with the flow coming out of the machine.

Steve

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:00 am

Same here - though with pressures that would make most of you laugh...

I can't open my mouth it's usually taped, so I use the back of my hand against the vent...

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:27 am

Me too! I cover my vents all night long to check for leaks, because I'm certain I'm not getting ENOUGH AIR. Everything's solid, and it makes me feel better, so I go back to sleep.

The upside is that these little events don't seem to BOTHER me. I'm feeling better, and for the past two nights didn't even get up for the 3 am pee. Whee!!!!

LOL,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:14 am

I experienced this during my titration study and still do in the morning wondering if I even have my mask on sometimes.

This is called sensory adaptation or neural adaptation. Here's a definition at wikipedia. It's pretty interesting stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_adaptation

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): Titration

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:16 pm

I have definitely experience this and Ihaven't been on the hose for long. When I wake in the morning, sometimes I have to check to see if the mask is still on and the machine still blowing. Very odd. Guess I'm getting used to it! This morning I didn't have to check , though I must have overtightened my mask and I had strapmarks on my face for about 3 hours. Ugh. The dentist must have thought I just rolled out of bed and jumped in the car this morning.

Jen