What do you do when the power goes off?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Patrick A

Re: Back Up Power for CPAP

Post by Patrick A » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:06 am

[quote="BATPOO"]I think that the simplest solution is to buy an off the shelf uninterruptable power supply (UPS) from someplace like Best Buy in the 1000 VA range such as an APC Smart-UPS 750VA USB & Serial 120V. It will run a normal CPAP without the heated humidifier for 8 - 10 hours. If the power goes off an alarm will sound alerting you to turn off your humidifier. A good UPS will also provide surge protection but I would still unplug it and run off of the battery during a thunder storm. Cost will be about $300. (peace of mind has a price). You can run the CPAP on it all the time.

BATPOO

Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

JennyLouWho

Post by JennyLouWho » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:12 am

Thanks Patrick! I did call the power co. and they said that CPAP IS a device that qualifies as a medical necessity. Got the papers for my doc to fill out, brought them back to the power co. and now all is well. (Actually, they said they still had me on the "quick response" list ever since my daughter came home from the hospital on a heart monitor almost 20 yrs. ago!!!)